WildAid Shark Fin Pledge

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2004
      WildAid would like to invite you to lead Singapore’s effort to conserve one of the most important animals in the world’s ocean

      A Personal Appeal to Save Our Sharks

      WildAid invites you to lead Singapore’s effort to conserve sharks by pledging not to knowingly consume or serve shark fin soup. By signing our pledge, you will be helping the conservation of an important animal that is fast disappearing from the world’s oceans.

      Sharks in Peril

      Over 100 million sharks and shark-like fish are caught each year. Some shark species have declined by as much as 90% in the past decade. This over-exploitation of sharks has reached unsurpassed levels, and there are many signs indicating that some sharks are now in danger of extinction.

      Demand for shark fin soup in Asia is one of the major contributing factors to the global decline in shark populations. World trade for shark fin has risen by up to 400% in the last 20 years. Shark fin soup was once an expensive luxury for the privileged few in southern China, but now it is mass-produced and has become routine at weddings, banquets and business dinners for millions of people around the world. Today, Singapore is one of the world’s biggest consumers of shark fins and there is an urgent need to raise public awareness of shark conservation and reduce consumer demand for shark fins locally.

      The world’s top marine scientists are predicting that the continued removal of sharks from their ecosystems will have dire consequences for other fish species that we humans rely on for food.

      Coastal communities around the world cannot compete with the huge industrial vessels that catch hundreds of thousands of sharks, remove their fins for sale in East Asia, and throw them back into the sea to die. Local fishermen in Africa, India and Latin America are losing their subsistence food for the sake of an unnecessary luxury consumed thousands of miles away.

      Ultimately, the consumer, who pays for the final products, keeps the shark fin trade alive. As long as there is excessive demand for shark fin soup, the chances of global shark population collapse will continue to grow. When demand for shark fin returns to reasonable levels, a healthy supply of shark fins can be ensured for the future.

      About Us

      WildAid is a non-profit international conservation organisation that works cooperatively with governments, media, business corporations, local conservation groups, grassroots organisations and celebrities to promote social responsibility in the consumption of wildlife products. Working with local partners internationally, our primary aims are to raise public awareness of shark conservation globally, improve shark fisheries management and reduce consumer demand for shark fin.

      Central to WildAid’s work is the belief that through education, we can encourage people all over the world to take action in support of conservation and reduce their consumption of shark fins. With the help of our shark campaign ambassador, HK actor Tony Leung, WildAid hopes to spread our campaign message “Please Say ‘No’ to Shark Fin” across to the widest possible audience.

      How You Can Help

      WildAid would like to invite you to support our campaign by taking a personal stance on the excessive consumption of shark fin soup by pledging not to knowingly consume shark fin soup. Please indicate your support by signing the declaration overleaf and email a copy to wu@.... By making a collective effort, we can secure the future of sharks for future generations. We can make a difference.

      If you have any comments or questions regarding the issues raised in this letter, please do not hesitate to call me on my mobile 9696 6373. In the interim, do visit our website www.wildaid.org for more information.

      Warm regards,

      Victor Wu

      Shark Campaigner

      Email: wu@...

      WildAid

      Shen Shian…………………………………………………………….. supports the work of WildAid Shark Conservation Programme to raise awareness about the rapidly increasing consumption of shark fin and the resulting depletion of shark populations worldwide. I/we would like to do my/our part to help and hereby pledge that I/we will not knowingly consume or serve shark fin soup.

      Contact Address:            88 Bright Hill Road S 574117…………..………………………..………………………………………………………………………

      Telephone number:   68495323…………..………………………..…………………………………………