The Secret of the Stone (3)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2004

      The Secret of the Stone (3)

      Hints for the Secret of the Stone

      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And heaven in a wild flower,
      Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
      And eternity in an hour.

      -William Blake

      Fa-yen, a Chinese Zen teacher, overheard four monks arguing about subjectivity and objectivity. He joined them and said: "There is a big stone. Do you consider it to be inside or outside your mind?" One of the monks replied: "From the Buddhist viewpoint everything is an objectification of mind, so I would say that the stone is inside my mind." "Your head must feel very heavy," observed Fa-yen, "if you are carrying around a stone like that in your mind."

      -Zen Story

      The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.