Fearless Compassion

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2004

      Fearless Compassion

      In the famous dialogue below, we can see many excellent qualities of Punna,
      the Buddha's disciple foremost in ability to expound the Dharma:

      1. Fearless compassion to share the Dharma despite difficult conditions.
      2. Unrelenting gratefulness for his blessings.
      3. Great courage to face karma.
      4. Purity of intention.
      5. Strong confidence in the Dharma and its value.
      6. Unbounded wisdom and skillfulness in sharing the Dharma.
      7. Realisation of the potential and goodness even in those who are often blamed.
      -shian

      (P)unna: Lord, I am going to live in the Sunaparanta country.
      (B)uddha: Punna, the Sunaparanta people are fierce. They are rough.
          If they insult and ridicule you, what will you think?
      P: ...I will think, 'These Sunaparanta people are civilized, very civilized,
      in that they don't hit me with their hands.' That is what I will think...

      B: But if they hit you with their hands...?
      P: ...I will think, 'These Sunaparanta people are civilized, very civilized,
          in that they don't hit me with a clod'...

      B: But if they hit you with a clod...?
      P: ...I will think, 'These Sunaparanta people are civilized, very civilized,
          in that they don't hit me with a stick'...

      B: But if they hit you with a stick...?
      P: ...I will think, 'These Sunaparanta people are civilized, very civilized,
          in that they don't hit me with a knife'...

      B: But if they hit you with a knife...?
      P: ...I will think, 'These Sunaparanta people are civilized, very civilized,
          in that they don't take my life with a sharp knife'...

      B: But if they take your life with a sharp knife...?
      P: ...I will think, 'There are disciples of the Blessed One who --
          horrified, humiliated, and disgusted by the body and by life -- have sought for an assassin,
          but here I have met my assassin without searching for him.' That is what I will think..

      B: Good, Punna, very good. Possessing such calm and self-control
           you are fit to dwell among the Sunaparantans. Now it is time to do as you see fit.

      Then Venerable Punna, delighting and rejoicing in the Blessed One's words, rising from his seat, bowed down to the Blessed One and left, keeping him on his right side. Setting his dwelling in order and taking his robe and bowl, he set out for the Sunaparanta country and, after wandering stage by stage, he arrived there. There he lived. During that Rains retreat he established 500 male and 500 female lay followers in the practice, while he realized the three knowledges. At a later time, he attained total (final) Unbinding (Arahantship).

      -Punna Sutta : http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/sn35-088.html