The Buddha's Open Secret

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2004

      The Buddha's Open Secret

      The Buddha gazes silently at a flower.
      Mahakasyapa smiles.

      The Buddha says,
      "I have the eye-treasury of the true Dharma,
      the marvellous mind of Nirvana,
      the true form of no-form,
      the subtle gate of the Dharma.
      It does not depend on letters,
      being specially transmitted outside all teachings.
      Now I entrust Mahakasyapa with this."

      Why?
      How?
      What?
      What's going on?
      What's the secret unspoken teaching?

      So many questions.
      None of these will answer,
      as the answer does not depends on letters.
      No one can speak the answer.

      But is there any question in the first place?
      You can wonder and debate endlessly
      but you will only further miss the point.

      The Buddha gazes silently at a flower.
      Mahakasyapa smiles.

      That was it.

      Don't frown.
      If you see it, you smile too...
      at the Buddha's open secret of Enlightenment.

      -Stonepeace | pic:marketgarden.com