    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2004

      1) "... during these degenerative times, not a lot of people can realize emptiness and practice dharma the way your friend describe. Of course, practicing dharma with emptiness in mind is good but how many of us can do that? In the Mahayana/Vajrayana teachings, it is mentioned that the quickest way for us to gain realizations is to accumulate merits and it is out of the kindness of the Buddhas/Triple Gem that we are able to accumulate merits by offering, prostrating, etc....and because the acts/thoughts are done in relation to the Triple Gem, it ripens in this life....unlike other karmic actions that will take 2 lifetimes to ripen....and that is why our teachers advise us to do water bowl offerings, prostrations, daily.

      The thing about emptiness is to realize that nothing is permanent and so, there should not arise in us any attachment...because like every phenomena, they do not exist inherent themselves, but merely a creation of the mind..."  -K

      2) "... Fulfilling our responsibilities with compassion and wisdom, doing what is needed in the moment, while contemplating and being one with emptiness, living theDhama... this is perhaps the most sincere way of reverencing the Buddha - more so than bowing before a Buddha image or even the Buddha Himself!"

      Comments by CT: The first half of the sentence is more a way of living the teachings of the Buddha while bowing to the Buddha image is a way of expressing deep reverence.

      Comments by TDEditor: Thank you for your thoughts. I see the perspective you are coming from. The article was trying to express that to live the Buddha's teachings is the deepest expression of reverence for the Buddha.

      3) Indeed, among the great ten disciples, Subhuti, was foremost in 'Emptiness'. I really don't have anything insightful to add on to your article. However, the thought of 'Emptiness' makes me relate to the concept of
      "Tangibility" i.e. having substance or physical attributes.

      Using this as an analogy. Recently, we have a very magnificent and grand Buddha's Tooth Relic exhibition in Singapore Expo. What do people want to see?  Pretty obvious, right? Buddha's relics and other Buddhist-related items. Devotees take this opportunity to pray. Very good, indeed.

      But after reading your article, I was thinking about something"nonsensical". Imagine this. Would people still travel all the way to Singapore Expo, if there are virtually no exhibits to show.  What I mean is, would the normal lay person accept this: receiving the countless number of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas by mere conceptualizing and relating our hearts and minds to them. Personally, I think, it is very hard. After all, a lay person still want to have the feeling of sight i.e. to be able to see and touch. Could you imagine telling devotees to travel to Singapore Expo, with nothing to see, but literally "seeing" Buddhas with our minds & hearts. Does it work? So much for attachments!

      Have a nice day. Amitabha.
      Regards, JMeng