Re: 3 Responses to "Everybody's Doing It - So It's OK?"

  • tmphang2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2004
      Indeed a piece of information transmitted repeatedly over time will eventually be
      "accepted" as the "Truth". This is the principle behind advertisment and social
      engineering/ propaganda.

      One milder example will be "Drinking milk is good. Your body needs lots of calcium
      that can be obtained from tasty milk".

      While it is true that we need calcium, AND is it NOT TRUE that we can only adsorb
      milk calcium! Most Asians are lactose intolerant and can not take any bit of dairy
      product!

      So that;s why Buddha says that we'll need to examine conventional "truth" and use
      our wisdom.

      --------

      --------
      > 1) Not everyone believes, let alone understand, the law of Karma. I truly believe that
      if one understands Karma, her resistence to buying cheap pirated CDs will be much
      stronger, although she may not be able to resist the temptation initially. As
      Buddhists, we have to find a way to reach out to non-Buddhists on what Karma truly
      means. Many non-Buddhists have been heard sneering at the concept, but only
      because of a lack of understanding - because they do not have a chance to be
      "educated".

      --------
      > 2) One must keep in the back of your mind the 4 Noble Truths, until they become a
      reality to you. And even before that practice the 8 Fold Path to help from going
      astray. Without attachments, just be here and now.

      --------

      > 3) Firstly, I have to admit and declare that I am no "holy-molly". Yes, a few years
      back, I visited certain oldies website where music songs are provided "free-of-
      charge" and could be accessed via streaming or direct downloading. I had
      accumulated "free" songs, as such. But nine out of ten sites have this 'disclaimer',
      however. "Please support the artists by buying the originals at the nearest CD shop".
      At that point in time, I didn't realize that I have violated the precept of Stealing by
      downloading 'free' songs.

      > In relation to music piracy, I think, people's mentality is as follows, "Since it is for
      free, I might as well get it, right?" The advent of technology is a double edged sword.
      While it has make our lives comfortable and efficient, it also makes it easier to break
      precepts. And unless one assumes a self-reflection mode, one might be breaking
      precepts unknowingly! Hmmm.... seems to be, a rather scary notion.

      > You are absolutely right. Even when everybody is doing it, it DOESN'T MEAN that
      particular action is right! In fact, it becomes extremely 'dangerous' because an
      erroneous action seemed to be 'endorsed' by the majority. Let us look around the
      world, we would find this very true!

      > And allow me to divert a fair bit here. In the Dharma-ending age, it is becoming
      increasingly difficult to differentiate truthness from deviant ways. While people
      seemed to be increasingly intelligent and intellectual, it does not necessarily suggest
      that people's minds are clear and unobstructed. In fact, minds become even more
      corrupted. Maybe, the readers-at-large would disagree with me, it doesn't matter.
      But a wait minute. Why not take a look at the society and world today? Are we
      necessarily better off?

      > Contentious it may seem but consider this. All it takes is a group of people
      expounding deviant theories. They may not succeed at first. But allow these theories
      and ideas to keep circulating. In no time, truth they

      --------