Response to "Greed for Speed"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2004

      What is said in the above Realisation applies very well to the current Bird Flu problem. Humans want fast results when rearing these animals for food, thus causing all these disease in them which gives so much more problems back to human in terms of sickness like cancer, SARS, HFMD, Bird Flu etc which takes human more resources to research, prevent, treat and keep the patient from dying.

      I really believe everybody along the food chain from rearing the animals for food, to the last person consuming it contributes to it's final death and also share the karmic consequences. This is what everybody wish that it is not true as they want to think that eating is OK if they don't kill it themselves. I know a lot of Buddhists, including my family are using such excuse to continue satisfying their greed for meat. I once met a man in New Zealand. He is living in a remote place on his own, eating his own crops and animals he rear and eggs that his chickens lay. He earn his living by providing accomodation to travellers in his humble house. When he learnt that I am a vegetarian, and my motivation is for the animals, he totally supported it and said that he thinks that whoever wants to eat meat should kill the animals themselves (like what he does) and NOT asking somebody else to kill it and eat them. Though he is a hunter, I salute him in the sense that, he is not a selfish being that wants to eat meat and doesn't want to shoulder the karmic consequence of killing the animal. Unlike most fellow humans out there.

      ming hwee