Reflections on "Death: The High Cost of Living"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2004
      Death Thoughts :
      Reflections on Quotes in "Death: The High Cost of Living" (Neil Gaiman)

      [Review by zeph@...]

      book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1563891336/qid=/br=1-/ref=br_lf_b_//102-5746456-9701706?v=glance&s=books&n=193766

      Death is portrayed in the comic, an offspin from the Sandman series, as a person, not creepy but friendly, not gloomy but cheerful, not old but young, not mysterious but open, not masculine but feminine, not ugly but beautiful... But how is Death like in person really? You will know - when Death becomes you. Why think Death as a demon? why think Death as an angel? Why hate Death? Why love Death? Death is. Simply is. Like the rain on a sunny day, neither good nor bad - for what are days with endless sun? Then again, what are days with endless rain? Death is the high cost of living. Death is the time of your life.

      -Zeph

      She (Death) keeps reminding me there is change in the "what is"
      but change cannot be made until you accept the "what is."

      ... She (Death) said if you allow yourself to feel the way you really feel,
      maybe you won't be afraid of that feeling anymore.

      -Tori Amos (Introduction)

      Only when you accept your suffering (live the First Noble Truth)
      can you work towards overcoming it (live the Third Noble Truth).

      -Zeph

      I mean, there's no point to anything. And if there's no point, you might as well be dead.
      ... I don't want anything. So I might as well be dead. Right?

      -Sexton Furnival

      If you think there is no point in living,
      what makes you think there is a point in dying?
      If you don't want anything,
      then why do you want death?

      -Zeph

      You know what a myclonic twitch is... ? Well, when you're falling asleep. And your mind's wanderin.' And you've crossed over the boundary of sleepin' and wakin', and you're beginning to almost dream, and in the dream you take a step, or move an arm, and in real life it twitches too. And it wakes you back up. You ever had that?

      -Mad Hettie

      When your dream is your reality...
      it's time to wake up -
      because your reality is just a dream.

      -Zeph

      Didi (manifestation of Death): I had a good time today.
      Sexton: You like....
      Didi: No. I didn't like that. But... its part of the whole thing. And there is a whole thing out there. And it's all part of living. The good bits and the bad bits and the dull bits and the painful bits.

      When we remember life for its pleasures more than pains,
      we come back for its pleasures, and inevitably... pains.

      -Zeph

      Death (As Didi resurrects in Death's realm): So that was it?
      Didi: Yes.
      Death: How was it?
      Didi: Oh, it was wonderful. It was filled with people. I got to breathe and eat... all sorts of stuff. I wish it could have gone on forever. I wish it didn't have to end like that...
      Death: It always ends. That's what gives it value. When you get to be alive even for a day... Well, there's only one way to stop living.
      Didi: I suppose so.
      Death: Was it worth it?
      Didi: I... I don't know. I think so. I hope so...

      Death is a mirror in which life reflects itself.

      -Sogyal Rinpoche (The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying)

      She said Didi had been sick since she'd been a little girl. There was something wrong with her heart... she'd been living with death since she was small.

      -Sexton

      There is something wrong with our heart and head since we are born.
      We have been living with death since we are born... till we die.

      -Zeph

      I killed our goldfish. I couldn't have been older then two or three. Their tank was kind of dirty, and I remember thinking that they'd really like it if it was cleaner, so I went into the bathroom and got a bar of soap and dropped it into their tank. And the next morning they were floating belly-up, and Mommy had to hug me a lot and tell me that death was just nature's way of telling you to sit down and shut up, or something equally as dumb...

      -Sexton

      When we make ourselves numb to death,
      we actually make ourselves numb to life.

      -Zeph

      Life -- and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison -- is a disease : sexually transmitted and invariably fatal. I suppose that's true, as far as it goes. I mean, if you don't have life.

      -Death (Death Talks About Life : A public service pamplet on Aids)

      Craving for life and craving for sex creates our next lives, and procreates new lives via us too.

      -Zeph