Precious Advice on Meat-Eating

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2004

      Teachings by His Eminence Drubwang Konchok Norbu Rinpoche about Meat-Eating

      on 8 Dec 2003 at Than Hsiang Temple, Penang, Malaysia
      100 Million Six-Syllable Mantra Recitation Retreat

      1. As Buddhists, we practise so as to benefit oneself and others. Hence, we do the six-syllable (Om Mani Pad Me Hung) mantra practice. However, when we eat meat - be it chicken, pork, fish or eggs in our daily lives, we are creating immense negative karma.

      2. If on the one hand, we chant the mantra and on the other hand, we eat the meat of another sentient being, then our words and actions do not tally with one another. We are not practising as we preach. Can this be considered as loving-kindness and compassion towards sentient beings? Is this doing good and abstaining from evil? We take refuge in the Buddha because His teachings could benefit all sentient beings. As Buddhists, we should understand the essence of the Buddha's wisdom and teachings, which is to do good and abstain from committing evil deeds. Abstaining from evil means that we have to keep our precepts. Hence we should not take meat.

      3. When we are sick, old or near death, we would go to a doctor - we would practise and do anything possible and extend our life span. However, when we take meat, we are killing sentient beings that are healthy. How great is our compassion and loving-kindness if we treat sentient beings in such a manner? We should abstain from killing because it generates immense negative karma. Instead, we should develop loving-kindness and compassion towards all sentient beings.

      4. In countless rebirths, all sentient beings have been our parents. When we took rebirth in the human realm, we had human parents; when we took rebirth in the animal realm, we had animal parents and so forth. Samsara is such. We need to generate a sense of gratitude towards our parents in this lifetime and those of our past lives. Hence, we should be vegetarians and abstain from taking meat. In such a way, we would do good and give meaning to our practice. By doing so, our practice of the six-syllable mantra would be able to benefit ourselves and others, and also aid in the flourishing of the Dharma.

      5. There are some people who say that their doctor has advised them against becoming vegetarians, as they would suffer from malnutrition. (The truth is a balanced vegetarian diet is much better than a non-vegetarian diet.) This is a sign that the determination of these people is not strong enough. For if one has strong determination, one would avoid doing evil deeds at all cost and under any circumstances.

      6. Hence in our daily lives, we should stop committing the negative deed of eating meat. On this basis, the merits generated from our refuge and practice of the six-syllable mantra would be inconceivable. We should try to change our lifestyle towards vegetarianism. We would certainly face difficulties in becoming full vegetarians. However, when such obstacles arise, we should remember how every sentient being had at one point or another been our parents. When we remember this, then we would not take meat just as we would not eat the meat of our parents of this lifetime.
      -Translated by Konchok Tenzin Drolma | Grammatically corrected and paragraphed by Shen Shian, with notes in parentheses

      In order to satisfy one human stomach, so many lives are taken away.
      We must promote vegetarianism. It is extremely important.

      -His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
      More quotes by HHDL on vegetarianism : http://kmspks.org/articles/vege.htm#hhdl

      Must Buddhists Be Vegetarian? : http://kmspks.org/articles/vege.htm
      Being Vegetarian in Singapore : http://www.vegetarian-society.org
      Free VCD on the Benefits of Being Vegetarian : http://www.vegetarian-society.org/ondot/vcd

      Free Vegetarian Starter Kit: http://www.vegetarianstarterkit.com

      Click Here for a Free Vegetarian Starter Kit

      About His Eminence Drubwang Konchok Norbu Rinpoche

      -Completed studies of 13 major texts in the Tibetan Traditions, e.g. The Bodhisattva Way of Life by Shantideva.
      -Exponent of the Mind Only school and the Madhyamika school philosophies.
      -More than 30 years of meditation retreat experiences at times taking only 1 petal of flower and a drop of honey water per day during his retreat.
      -Personally completed 12 X 100 million times of Six-Syllabled Mantra.
      -An accomplished practitioner with high realization & a retreat master of Mahamudra
      -Led the completion of tens 100 Million Mani recitation retreats in Nepal and India.
      -Led the completion of 100 Million Mani recitation retreats in Singapore at Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery in 2001 & 2003.

      "A very powerful and accomplished practitioner"
      as praised by HH 14th Dalai Lama, he was specially appointed by him to propagate the Guanyin Practice of Om Mani Padme Hung to the whole world to benefit all beings.

      Om Mani Padme Hung... Please help circulate this mail to benefit more.