[zeph] Awakened or Mad?

  • !Namo@mituofO!
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2000
      > Difference between the madman & an enlightened one:

      > Madman: Thinks he is the greatest. Think he is the smartest, sees
      > things that others don't. Live inside his own world (does
      > not accept others' view. )
      >
      > Enlightened man : He sees the true nature of things (not only
      > the surface ). He listens to others view & uses skillful means
      > to explain the truth to others. He does not claim he is
      > the greatest but someone who is awake.

      Actually, the Buddha does proclaims on certain occasions that He is
      Enlightened and has attained the greatest awakening possible (which He tells
      us we can attain too)- though He never insisted others to believe Him
      without questioning. Is the Buddha a liar? It is up to us to judge. I think
      a main difference between a madman and an Enlightened one is that the madman
      insists others to believe he is Enlightened- while the genuinely Enlightened
      one is much more concerned with helping others awaken to become kinder and
      wiser persons.

      The Buddha (in the sense of a real Enlightened being) doesn't think He is
      Enlightened- He KNOWS it- that is why we call Him awakened. And yes- as
      mentioned above, the historical Buddha does listens to others' views, but
      not necessarily agreeing- He does so to find a skillful means to further
      awaken the speaker.