[zeph] Zeph's First Awakening

  • !Namo@mituofO!
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2000
      ZEPH & FRENS #1
      __________________
      Zeph's First Awakening

      25/12/94- It is Christmas Day. The holiday of the year but Zeph had clearly
      forgotten about it. So he was on the last escalator up to Lido 5 Cineplex at
      3.40pm to get a ticket for 4pm's "Dumb & Dumber". He was his old
      happy-go-lucky self. All the way up he looked downwards at the people
      dressed in their colourful clothes doing colourful things. Shopping and
      window-shopping. The playing of the images reflecting on the mirror
      escalator sides was fascinating. The heart of Orchard. The young
      Singaporeans' "capital" of Singapore. On the last step up, he looked up. A
      wall of people barricaded him. It was a long queue. He was bewildered for a
      while. After sweeping a few glances, he went to the down escalator. For some
      reason he didn't try to understand, his friends wanted to see some other
      dumb movie that day. But that was okay, though he didn't try to understand
      why. He didn't exactly feel disappointed with them. All he wanted to do that
      day was to laugh his head off. He always knew he had choice. Sometimes he
      just doesn't follow the crowd. A kind of freedom- of choice. Maybe he isn't
      happy-go-lucky after all.

      On the last step of the last escalator down, the phrase "unhappy-go-unlucky"
      came to his mind for no particular reason he knew. The time is 3.45pm. At
      the entrance-exit of Shaw House, a few steps from the escalator, Zeph was
      stunned. He tried to shake the feeling off by hurrying a few steps forward.
      Out of the shadow of the building. He stood still again. The feeling would
      not go off. There was nowhere to rush to rid the feeling- he was dead sure.
      For the first time in his life, he realised he was all alone. Thoroughly
      alone, and lonely in a crowd. Christmas Eve night he had already hung out
      all night with his friends in Orchard. The heart of Christmas is here. It is
      not really boredom. Just a startling realisation that he now has nothing in
      particular to do. All day he looked forward to seeing the movie. No plans on
      what to do after. He stood on- why should he move when he had nowhere to go
      to. His heart started racing. I'm neither hungry nor thirsty. I'm not
      sleepy. I don't want to see any other movie. I always loved swimming but not
      now. Why? He could feel the cold of his cold sweat in the heat of the
      sweltering sun. So many emotions all at once. Shock, fear, disappointment
      and something unnameable. An overwhelming sense of urgency- adrenaline
      pumping to bursting...

      [To be Continued in #2]
      Please feel free to share with us your thoughts on the above
      semi-fictitious Buddhist called Zeph and his Friends, including you and me.
      Join in the discussions and be a Spiritual Fren to others on the List!

      You might have read Zeph Stories in TheDailyEnlightenment. Now you are
      invited to read some of the earliest and probably unseen articles and
      comment on them, sharing and exchanging your Questions, Experiences and
      Insights with Frens on the List. The life of this List will only be possible
      with your support!

      The difference between this and some other Buddhist mailing lists is that it
      targets at being as personal, human and honest as possible, with the
      personal triumphs and pitfalls of the spiritual practice that we can all
      relate to. (The list will be moderated to prevent unrelevant mass-mailings)

      or REPLY this & key "YES"
      (You can help publicise this list by forwarding this mail to your friends)