[zeph] Re: Question on "Zeph's First Awakening (Part 1)"

  • Martha Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2000
      Andrea Wisner wrote:

      > it seems to me that someone who is enlightened does not need to think
      > about being enlightened, and certainly does not need to go around
      > telling others that he is enlightened. I would question anyone who
      > claims to be enlightened. And if he truly is enlightened, that is ok,
      > because questioning our beliefs is good in any case. i.e. the issue is
      > not really whether that other person is enlightened, but is what WE
      > believe about the other person. Buddhism would not have us blindly
      > following anyone who claims to be enlightened, whether or not the person
      > is.

      Dear Frens,

      I absolutely agree with the above. Here is a quote I came across recently:

      "It is Dharma if it becomes an antidote to delusions; it is not Dharma if it
      does not."
      Dromtoenpa

      If your teacher, for example, is a "crazy guru" and this helps you overcome
      delusions,
      then you can take it that he or she is enlightened. If however this "madman"
      only
      increases your fears, dread, anger, confusion, etc. then you can safely assume
      that
      he/she is just plain crazy, and not enlightened!

      Dharma love,
      Martha

      --
      "The highest nobility is in subduing your mind.
      The highest patience is humility.