Further Spotting Blind Spots

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2003

      Response to "How to See Your Blind Spots" @ http://asp.thedailyenlightenment.com/52.htm#realization

      Further Spotting Blind Spots

      Hello. Good day. Just like to share some insights on this topic, though not directly to cultivation or Buddhist-related perspectives.

      The first perspective... as an ex part-time lecturer/tutor. You see, one is expected to "know it all" (literally so, inasfar as the students were concerned) and henceforth, properly guide the students on the 'correct' learning path. The truth, however, is the reverse. I help the students. AND they help me as well, in the learning and knowledge acquisition path. I don't really guide them, per se. In fact, I provide the leads. And we, as a whole, move together. In fact, there were times, I was really surprised by the creativity of my students. I couldn't believe it. I mean, how could these young chaps, think of such answers? Remarkable!  Over time, I learnt to learn from them. One's ego must be let go off.

      The second perspective... as an auditor. In the corporate sector, somehow, I feel that people like to talk rather than listen (or maybe, it just applies to my experience). Sometimes, you get this feeling that everybody is rushing... "Hey, let me talk, let me talk..." Nowadays, multi-tasking is in, right? However, when one does it unmindfully, one cannot listen effectively. True or not? Interested readers, do test it for yourselves. How to listen well when one's mind is churning "answers", perceiving what's next to respond, etc.? In the audit field, talking and not listening is definitely detrimental. Insights and knowledge must be shared. One cannot be all-and-encompassing when not yet enlightened.

      Coming back to this topic on blind spots... Hmmm... defintely true. To explore oneself, one must mingle with the rest. One must open up. But let me also assume a slightly cautious stance... Open up, if you must.
      Open up, if you will. But only do so only with the right people. Although as a "potato", one would want the dirt be scrapped off.  Hey, but not too hard too fast. Just in case, the 'flesh' gets rub-off in the process as well. Thus, another part of the test is to interact with the right potatoes.

      Have a nice day. Amitabha.
      Regards,
      JMeng@...