3-Second Memory

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2003

      3-Second Memory

      Visited Underwater World today...
      and saw fishes which reminded me of Dory-
      the short-term memory fish in "Finding Nemo"...

      which brings to mind an interesting fact I came across-
      Goldfish have only 3 seconds' worth of memory at any instant.
      Maybe that's why they don't get sick of swimming aimlessly
      in circles in small empty fishbowls.

      Just when we think that's pathetic,
      it is humbling to remember we're not much better off-
      most of us have less than a lifetime's worth of memory,
      not being able to recall blunders in our past lives,
      or even certain mistakes we continually repeat in this life.
      We do not realise that we too are short-term memory fishes somewhat-
      swimming in "endless" circles in a bigger tank and trap- in the sea of Samsara.

      Let's snap out of it-
      by first becoming more mindful-
      not of our past- if we can't remember it now,
      but of every here and now.

      Amituofo,
      shian@...