Finding Compassion for Fish Friends in "Finding Nemo"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2003

      Dharma Movie Review for www.TheDailyEnlightenment.com :

      Finding Compassion for Fish Friends in "Finding Nemo"

      Movie Plot:
      A father-son underwater adventure featuring Nemo,
                         a boy clownfish, stolen from his coral reef home.
                         His timid father must then search the ocean to find him

                         www.findingnemo.com

      8 Lessons I'd Learnt from "Finding Nemo"

      1. Don't catch fish for sport- it's painful and cruel.
          Fish are sentient beings and have families too.
          Thus was Marlin trying to find his son Nemo.

      2. Don't keep fish imprisoned in tanks if you can help it.
          Look at the poor fish brotherhood led by Gill trying so hard to break free.
          Look at the school of Tuna trying so hard to break the fish net.
          Everyone wants the taste of freedom!
          Gill: Fish aren't meant to be in a box, kid. It does things to ya.

      3. If you have fish in aquarium, be sensitive to them.
          Don't be like Darlin, the girl who taps too hard on the aquarium and swishes fish in bags.

      4. To quote the sharks, "Fish are our friends, not food."
          (See http://kmspks.org/vege.htm on Buddhist perspective of vegetarianism.)

      5. You don't really know if someone you love is truly ready for anything
          other than your "love" until you set you and him free.
          When you cling on to what you love and refuse to let go, it isn't exactly true love. True love sets free.
          [See dialogue below]

      Marlin: How do you know if they're (kids) ready?
          Crush: Well, you never really know, but when they know, you know, y'know?

      6. There are risks for anything worth trying. Take calculated risks.
          If you don't risk anything during crucial times, you might risk everything instead.
          [See dialogue below]

      Marlin: How do you know that we won't get hurt?
          Dory: I don't!

      7. The speaking creatures of the sea reminds me of the following poem:

          I am the voice of the voiceless,
          Through me the dumb shall speak
          Till the deaf world's ear be made to hear
          The wrongs of the wordless weak.

          And I am my brother's keeper,
          And I shall fight his fight;
          And speak the word for beast and bird
          Till the world shall set things right.

          Ella Wheeler Wilcox, 1850-1919

      8. Yes, it cannot be overstated for fish. I got this in my email today, though it's old news already:

      It's Official - Fish Do Feel Pain : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030430/80/dywl6.html

      Research found that fish have receptors in their heads and that subjecting them to noxious substances causes "adverse behavioural and physiological changes." "This fulfils the criteria for animal pain," said Dr Lynne Sneddon who headed the research, published on Wednesday by the Royal Society, the national academy of science.

      Animal activists said the findings showed that fishing was cruel. "We would encourage anglers to lay down their rods. It's ridiculous that in 2003 we are still talking about whether fish feel pain -- of course they do," Dawn Carr of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA : http://www.peta.org) told Sky News.

      Don't miss these links!

      PETATV.comMilkSucks.comFurIsDead.comLeather is Dead SkinLettuce Ladies

      PETA Vegetarian Starter Kit: http://goveg.com/VegKit/index.html

      PETA Posters @ Esplanade:
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/poster.html

      PETA: PETA Gives Two Fins Up to Finding Nemo
      ... testing the waters with a piscine hero named Marlin in its new film Finding Nemo.
      Thrilled at the movie’s fish-friendly theme—several characters are even ...

      PETA :: Media Center :: News Releases
      ... Search, ... PETA’S GIANT "FISH" TO GIVE OUT FAUX FISH STICKS
      AT FINDING NEMO PREMIERE. Pro-Fish Leaflets ...

      PETA :: Living :: Commentary
      ... By Heather Moore. Finding Nemo may be a fish story, but it's revealing an awful lot
      about human nature. It seems that this charming movie about a clownfish who ...

      May All Being Be Well & Happy.

      Amituofo, stonepeace@... | www.stonepeace.blogspot.com