Review of "The Man & his Honey"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2003

      Review of "The Man & his Honey"

      Here are some comments of last week's "Realisation" Article

      For this review to make sense, please see the story "The Man & His Honey" at
      http://asp.thedailyenlightenment.com/41.htm#Realization
      To respond to these responses, email comment@...

      DIFFERENT VIEW

      I do think it totally contradicts but both has its point. But if I am really trapped in such a situation, I must say the honey will not tantelize me as the danger is far more closer. :) But in life, it's the other way, the pleasure is closer while the danger is often too obscure to us. The normal version i heard is the 'sieze the presence' version, it's nice to hear a totally different view.

      regards
      bee hong

      CYCLE OF SAMSARA

      My interpretation:

      From a beginningless state.... losing oneself is premised on the effect of chasing after desires, due to ignorance, delusion (the cause). He ends up in samsara and the parable continues to show the extent of the cycle of samsara, growing ever wilder, and over and over again.

      While seeking the shelter, he thinks he is taking refuge, but without right understanding, it is only a temporary house of refuge (i.e. wrong views/attitude/understanding in seeking refuge in the buddha, dhamma, sangha). With the existing delusion and unsatisfactory refuge, he creates further delusion in the form of a poisonous snake
      (as suppose to seeing it as something else or a harmless snake, for instance).  Unable to content with himself, he jumps to another viewpoint (or it could also be taking a different refuge elsewhere), only to be further disappointed due to the already skewed thinking/deep delusion (by now).

      Still looking (or rather desiring) for the right refuge, some other interesting object (in his deluded mind)  catches his eye, and he creates another new desire; to run away ignorantly from all his previous failed contentment (i.e. dukkha), forgetting and burying all the past events, thinking that they have been resolved, and seemingly enjoying every moment of the newly created desire object, which is savoring the honey.

      And thus another cycle of samsara has begun (or continuing....).

      On deeper observation, the parable shows how this is one big cycle of suffering and within it are smaller individual events of suffering, and within each individual event is further momentary sufferings. Thus the cycle of samsara is such and "endless".

      LKD

      REALISATION MAKES THE DIFFERENCE

      We should be our ownself with the guidance of buddha teaching to gain fruitful result on enlightenment The principle of buddha teaching is a collation of thoughts into a teaching guide. Therefore, it is important that we should based on situation and circumstances to pathway naturally according to situation or whether to adhere to Buddha teaching. To seek record improvement for buddism it is suggested that the religion today should be more adventurest in accomodating the buddha teaching for today society.

      Everything is changing in every second, the principal of budhha teaching is always been highly respected, it is only the buddha teaching is correctly applied to daily life than we could pathway to dailyenlightenment through it thoughts. The thoughts is not as rigid as a stone it is the WISDOM AND COMPASSIONATE  for all followers to applied intelligently according to circumstances. If a follower adhere to buddha teaching strictly and could not pathway to enlightenment , than it should view as failure due to none applying the main principle thoughts "WISDOM" into the pratice.

      Therefore the two illustration may not be contraditing , it is the end result of the difference approach that is the criteria for the evaluation of each case. Is interesting to mentioned that both situation if the end result is positive the two situation is actually both following the buddha teaching to path their way to enlightenment though the ist illustration ignore buddha teaching but unconciously apply to it.  It may or may not be contradicting. Use pecentage calculation for the positive/negative effect may me a means to weight contradition though matter is very spiriture. End result may be possible to weight.

      Wisdom and Compassionate is actually praticing by all religious and non religious in their daily life. It is only the realisation of it important that create the difference in applying the concept.

      lighthut