Annotated Script of "The Meaning of Life"

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2002

      Annotated Script of "The Meaning of Life"

      See the movie again on @
      http://mm.dfilm.com/mm2s/mm_route_showmovie.php?id=485055

      Scene 1

      A: What is the meaning of life?
      This is the primordial question we ask when we become spiritually conscious enough.

      B: You should first ask, "What is the meaning of meaning?"
      Before we pursue answers to our questions, we should always pursue to meaning of our questions.

      A: Meaning means meaning!
      If something means other things? What does "meaning" itself mean? Does it mean itself? In this sense, meaning means "self-essence" or "self-nature" which does not really exists since meaning is derived from interdependent relationships.

      B: Then life is life!
      Life is itself too, just as the universe is itself. This is the macro view of life on the whole, of dependent origination, interbeing. All aspects of life interlink to each other within and without itself.

      A: But what is life?
      B: Life is what you experience now- the sun, the wind and the waves...
      Life is none other whan what we experience through the six senses in the moment. It is not beyond what you cannot experience as that is not meaningful to you in the moment. This is the micro view of life for the individual.

      Scene 2

      A: What does all these stuff we experience in life mean then?
      It is the nature of sentient beings to question and seek meaning, and to suffer due to unanswered questions! But we can also discover the answers.

      B: First ask whether they intend to mean anything.
      A: I don't think so.
      Things that happen to us, that we experience are essentially natural effects from causes and conditions. They do not mean anything by themselves. For example, the effect of failing an exam or facing falling rain in itself does not intend to spoil your day.

      B: So meaning is created by us.
      A: What does this mean?
      B: Everything is meaningless till you put meaning into it.
      Life is meaningless to the individual till he has found, or unless he seeks, meaningfulness. This imputation of meaning applies also to each and every act we do and our response to things that happens to us.

      Scene 3

      A: So life, the universe and everything are essentially meaningless!
      Essentially meaningless in the sense that each being or thing has no intrinsic meaning or significance in itself, only on the relative level, in connection to other beings and things.

      B: Not necessarily a good or bad thing- if you see what I mean!
      This truth is not necessarily a good or bad thing- it is just as it is- till we choose to take sides- which is not necessary too. However, as we are unenlightened, we will habitually take sides.

      A: What does it mean to you?
      B: It means you are essentially free to create any meaning in your life.
      This means we have no moral or spiritual obligations- free to choose to believe what is good or evil, free to choose whether to purify ourselves. But the wise urges us to walk the Noble Eightfold path, as reflected in the following line in red.

      A: But why do that, since life, and even death, are actually meaningless?
      B: So the only truly meaningful thing to do is to get out of life and death- become enlightened!
      Becoming enlightened here can refer to either the goal of self-liberation (Arahanthood) or the goal of liberation of all beings (Bodhisattvahood which leads to Buddhahood). Thus, the end of this film shows why it is perfectly rational to seek enlightenment, whether for oneself or all.

      Response to a Response on "The Meaning of Life"

      Having seen your film, i feel that it is essentially dangerous to propagate the theory of "meaninglessness" and to push that the only meaning to life is to become Enlightened.

      Although it states that "So the only truly meaningful thing to do is to get out of life and death- become enlightened!", it also states that, "It means you are essentially free to create any meaning in your life."

      Even though i do subscribe to the latter, some people might interprete the first and second part of the movie as they can do anything they want because meaning is something they can commission and rule, much like a god onto themselves. thereby cultivating a selfish approach to life.

      Although it states that, "It means you are essentially free to create any meaning in your life.", it also states that "So the only truly meaningful thing to do is to get out of life and death- become enlightened!"

      Thus, the film counters nihilism (meaninglessness and moral-lessness) with liberation and altruism (becoming enlightened). It is a sequential thinking process that leads the first to the latter point of view.

      Thank you for your comments. Yes, the film could had been scripted better.
      Above is the script from the film for reference. I have added notes.