Scary to Give Everything Up

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2007
      Somebody once told me, "I wish I had gotten into Zen practice earlier, before I took on all these responsibilities, before I had a wife, a job, and a mortgage." Of course, that is just avoiding the issue. There is absolutely nothing restricting us; it only appears so. The restriction is all in the mind. There are no restrictions, no barriers, no walls. When we realise what is most important, this great matter, the grave matter of life and death, then we also realise that nothing can prevent our accomplishing the Way. There is no distance too great, no ocean too vast, no mortgage too big, no spouse too demanding. All these "problems" are excuses to disguise the fact that really we just aren't ready to do it. It is scary to give everything up, to let it all go.
       - The Eye Never Sleeps, Striking to the Heart of Zen by Dennis Genpo Merzel