579We Are Within Indra's Net of Interconnectedness

    Mar 6, 2005

      We Are Within Indra's Net of Interconnectedness

      Far away, in the heavenly abode of the great god, Indra, there is a wonderful net which has been hung by some cunning artiticer in such a manner that it stretches out infinitely in all directions. In accordance with the extravagant tastes of deities, the artificer has hung a single glittering jewel in each eye of the net, and since the net itself is infinite in dimension, the jewels are infinite in number.

      There hangs the jewels, glittering like stars of the first magnitude, a wonderful sight to behold. If we now, arbitrarily, select one of the jewels for inspection, and look closely at it, we will discover that in its polished surface there are reflected all the other jewels in the net, infinite in number. Not only that, but each of the jewels reflected in this one jewel is also reflecting all the other jewels, so that there is an infinite reflecting process occuring.

      This symbolises our world where every sentient being (and thing) is inter-related to one another.

      -Avatamsaka Sutra (Hua Yen Jing)