56It was all ONE event.

  • ilgu99
    Apr 22, 2005
      (It was all ONE event.)

      -- It was all ONE event. --

      If one compares the dates of holy men on earth, one will notice some
      coincidences. For example, centering around 2,500 years ago, there
      were
      the following religious/philosophical leaders (with their central
      doctrines), spanning around 500 years plus or minus:

      1) Buddha (Don't do evil, but do good. Thus keep your Mind clean.)
      2) Christ (Love your neighbor, forgive your enemy; and, Heaven will
      love you.)
      3) Confucius (Conformity of word and deed, leading to that of Heaven
      and Earth)
      4) Lao-tzu (Practise the Tao by becoming ONE with it.)
      5) Socrates (Know yourself.)

      The state-of-the-art with Internet is such that there is now an almost
      instantaneous connection of audio/video all around the globe (the
      world
      is getting smaller). And the kids love to spend hours at their
      computer
      games of space travel. We could make a space travel (at the speed of
      light, or even faster) to a destination 100,000 light-years away. Once
      there, we could travel in time (into the past or future), to
      synchronize
      the time aboard the space ship with the time of 2,500 years ago on
      earth. And, using a very powerful telescope, start looking in the
      direction of the Solar system.

      There is a good chance that you would see, all of a sudden, a big ball
      of fire, or burst of light, emanating from the planet Earth and
      filling
      the whole Universe. And you might recognize the event as the "Arrival
      of
      Wisdom". And this Wisdom will reach you as ONE single
      message: "Recover
      the Angel in yourself". You will see it as one event only: You will
      not
      be able to notice variations of 500 years or 10,000 miles apart.

      Now, here is a choice to be made: You could make a "mortal" (5-feet
      9-inches tall) out of you, and say "These are all different. Mine is
      the
      only Religion." Or, you could make an "angel" or a star (filling the
      sky) out of you, and remain silent. Or, what? ... Is there some other
      way?

      Where is Buddha? Where is Hinayana? Where is Mahayana? Where is
      Zen? ...
      At this moment, where is your MIND? And, what is it that you SEE?
      (What is this?)

      -- Harmonization exercise --

      If you are looking at your computer screen right now, try this
      "Harmonization" exercise (to harmonize ordinary perceptions with
      extraordinary):

      Instead of looking at "one thing at a time", try to look at
      "everything at once" (all those things within your eyes' reach as a
      whole at the same time -- your computer, monitor, keyboard, desk,
      walls, floor, ceiling etc.). Now, where is your MIND at that moment?
      And, what is it that you SEE? (What is this?)

      -- How to practise Zen --

      At the beginning of the Platform Sutra, Hui-neng gave us the
      "Summary of Sudden Enlightenment":

      "Self Nature, which generates Bodhi, is originally clean and pure;
      Just use this [deluded] Mind to attain Buddhahood directly."

      Hui-neng also said (Platform Sutra):

      "Although there are those who practice non-moving;
      Just do not see the faults of all other people,
      This, then, is the Self-nature [your Original Nature] not moving.

      Original Nature is of itself pure and of itself in samadhi.

      Not to be separated from Self-nature is achievement."

      Do not strive to find the Self-nature: Just do not lose your own
      Self-nature which is already in Samadhi (and already in Nirvana).
      If you do not see others' faults, i.e. if you do not separate the
      seer (you) from the seen (others), you become your own teacher.
      (There is only ONE. So who is fooling who?) This is what "Zen
      practice" is all about, and that's where the Zen is.

      All this was turned into a single line of instruction by Zen Master
      Fo-yen Ching-yuan (1067-1120):

      (Thomas Cleary, "Instant Zen: Waking Up in the
      Present", North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, 1994)

      "JUST LET GO, THEN STEP BACK AND LOOK..."

      -- What is ONE? --

      True Zen is a practice of no practice. "Ordinary mind is the Way".
      And "Suffering is happiness".

      Why? Because ordinary mind has the nature of the Way imbedded in
      it (vice versa); and suffering has its imbedded happiness (vice
      versa). This is the meaning of Non-duality. There is only ONE.

      In physics, the "wave-particle duality" asserts that the wave
      and particle aspects cannot be observed simultaneously. In Zen
      however, the Non-duality of True Reality assures us that these
      can be simultaneously observed. So, "Wave IS particle", and
      "Hatred is love".

      (So "who" is hating who? And who is loving who? "Love without
      loving" is true love.)

      -- Liberation and Awakening --

      The following texts were quoted to serve as our "Zen story":

      (Alan W. Watts, "The Way of Zen". Vintage Books, New York, 1957.)

      1) Peace of mind:

      << ... Hui-k'o [486-593, Second Zen-Patriarch] again and again
      asked
      Bodhidharma for instruction, but was always refused. Yet he
      continued
      to sit in meditation outside the cave, waiting patiently in the snow
      in the hope that Bodhidharma would at last relent. In desperation he
      finally cut off his left arm and presented it to Bodhidharma as a
      token of his agonized sincerity. At this Bodhidharma at last asked
      Hui-k'o what he wanted.

      "I have no peace of mind," said Hui-k'o. "Please pacify my mind."

      "Bring out your mind here before me," replied Bodhidharma, "and I
      will pacify it!"

      "But when I seek my own mind," said Hui-k'o, "I cannot find it."

      "There!" snapped Bodhidharma, "I have pacified your mind!"

      At this moment Hui-k'o had his awakening ... >>

      2) Liberation (Moksha):

      << ... The Fourth Patriarch, following Seng-ts'an, is believed to
      have been Tao-hsin (579-651). When he came to Seng-ts'an he asked,

      "What is the method of liberation?"

      "Who binds you?" replied Seng-ts'an.

      "No one binds me."

      "Why then," asked Seng-ts'an, "should you seek liberation?"

      And this was Tao-hsin's satori [Awakening]. >>

      3) Awakening (Bodhi):

      If you have closely followed the above stories, then you would
      have no difficulty in "figuring out" what Awakening is all about.

      So, what IS Awakening?

      -- ilgu

      http://www.itsmysite.com/yourpage