MINUTES FOR SEPTEMBER 2006
IN ATTENDANCE: Greg Anderson, Kim Howell, Joe Montani, Jim D'Elia,
Richard Wahl, Sue Wiemer, Mike Bolton, Bob Wallin,
MINUTES: Accepted by the BOD after corrections were made by Kim
TREASURER'S REPORT Kim reported that our checking balance is
This is a slow time of year for Dana.All membership declaration forms
have been computerized and Kim printed them out and handed them out
to board members. Quickbooks has been a successful transition.
BUILDING REPAIR: Air Conditioning unit in the closet seems to be
working well,the drain was unclogged by Desert Moon ac and cooling.
The closet floor is dry as a result of the repairs.
CLASSES AND ZDS EVENT SCHEDULE: Sue's class will start on September
Sue will present the first Six Paramitas. The BOD will procure copies
of Aitken Roshi's Practice of perfection as a supplement to the class
available for sale to participants. 10 copies are sought from
Powell's who are likely to give a discount [note added: book is out
of print and unavailable, except "used"].
Peter Levitt would like to do another workshop at ZDS perhaps next
We still have copies of his books, Finger Painting on the Moon and
Flock of Fools for sale.
STEVE HAGEN COURSES: Steve Hagen Classes are planned for January
2007, and will be organized and coordinated as usual by Larry Levine.
Dates to be announced. ZDS has been purchasing the Steve Hagen cd's
for the classes and general use with money from donations
specifically earmarked for that purpose. The BOD reiterated the
policy that earmarked funds are not fulfillment of membership dues
requirements and Kim suggested starting a separate educational
fund for contributions made specifically for library subscriptions
and other educational material.
Joe expressed some reservations about a long continuance of the Steve
Hagen class series. Joe stated that there seem to be two
conversations going on,one regarding our sangha practice with Pat,
and the other regarding different ways and customs (and even rules)
involved with listening to Steve Hagen's talks; which rules
are determined at a zen center in Minnesota , not at ZDS.
Joe felt uncomfortable with the continuation of closed restricted
class series, beyond, say, about one year. Rich also expressed these
concerns. Greg stated that, while the class has ZDS support and
encouragement, it is not a ZDS event and therefore it is not the
BOD's responsibility to set guidelines for taking the classes. With
this reminder, BOD members felt relieved from dictating the structure
and requirements of the class based on our philosophy regarding ZDS
There was also concern expressed that some attendees believed Steve
Hagen is our guiding teacher, not Pat Hawk. Greg stated that any
confusion regarding teachers will naturally disappear with continued
attendance at the zendo so, to Greg, this was not a concern.
As before, every consideration and encouragement will be given to
Larry and any questions about the Steve Hagen classes are
appropriately addressed to Larry.
TUCSON INTERFAITH REQUEST: Norm requested that someone from ZDS
attend an Interfaith Service about a topic in a recent ballot
proposition: Gay Marriage and Civil Unions in Arizona . The BOD
discussed asking someone to represent our tradition in a political
stance to support same sex marriage and to rebut a counter amendment
that is very vague. Anyone from ZDS who may want to attend may do so,
and may say they are a ZDS member or associate, but may not say
that their words are the position of ZDS or its members. The BPF, as
a channel for political activism, might make a presentation. Joe
offered to attend to speak about the Zen tradition and some attitudes
toward the Mind, the Body, and toward Relationship, but not to
support the intent of the Service, which was to offer definite
support for the ballot initiative. But this offer was not accepted,
since the Minister making the invitation asked only for support of a
position, and not just for a general talk or presentation about
the understanding and appreciations of some Zen Buddhists. The BOD
decided not to officially sponsor the initiative, as we could not
speak for all ZDS members on this point, and as the BPF may be a
PATS SCHEDULE FOR 2007 -- Shelly is negotiating our schedule with Pat
HOME REPAIR: Prioritizing and organization - Rich requested hiring
someone to fix the closet and hang new sheet rock and clean up the
hanging plaster. Kim suggested resurrecting the home improvement
building committee to address these and other issues. Mike
Bolton offered to volunteer to take a look at what is needed. Rich
discussed allowing petty cash to be used for small projects under 100
or 200 dollars. As long as the treasurer is on the committee Rich has
no problem with allowing her to write the checks. Kim will give a
GALA -- Pat will attend on the 28th and Sous Chef will cater. Greg
gave her the menu. Sue will help fold and label with others to print
out invitations and nice labels.
Kim will look for attractive labels and use a gothic script to print
out nice labels. Use the same design as last year without offset
ANNUAL MEETING OCTOBER 28th after the sit
Next Meeting October 7th
MINUTES FOR OCTOBER 7 2006
IN ATTENDANCE: Greg Anderson, Kim Howell, Joe Montani, Jim D'Elia,
TREASURER'S REPORT: Kim reported that our checking balance is
BUILDING REPAIR: Kim is looking for volunteers to spread the gravel
she ordered for the back yard.
HOME IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE Dan estimates $1 per sq. foot, (350) to
insulate and stucco the pantry.
To eliminate the wood pecker problems and cover up the rotted floor
The committee want to look at eventually replacing the whole room in
5 or 10 years, is the expenditure of $350 -$450 now a worthwhile
improvement? Something must be done now. It takes a long time to get
consensus on a major renovation. Something needs to be done to
prevent the parking lot water coming into our zendo. Board approved
Kim's suggestion. The work will be done ourselves so we will be
Mike suggests hanging aluminum foil strips to discourage woodpeckers.
Drainage and a new parking lot pave job should be high on our
priorities for improvements in the future. The drainage issue can be
addressed with changing the grade of the pavement.
Kim suggested bringing up building improvement issues at the annual
meeting and more fund raising.
We should have about 20,000 in our checking before we can safely
undergo any major home or building improvement.
Educational fund Larry Levine and Kim have been arranging the
purchasing the Steve Hagen materials.
Larry will purchase the materials and he will be refunded from the
ANNUAL MEETING - October 28th -
Discuss fund raising for a new fridge, wish list items, contribute
funds, decomposed Granit and stucco.
Election of board members. Our treasurer Kim will continue serving
for another two years. Jim will put his name in again. Richard has
done his four years (2 terms). Rich is stepping down and we need a
replacement board member and 2 alternatives. Joe continues for
another year's term.
Jim will announce the gala and the annual meeting on the e-tree.
Mention mortgage burning party and zendo rededication