Pine House garden

  • Wendy Nakao
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
      Pine House garden

      Dear Residents,

      You are all invited to take a stroll in the Pine House front garden many thanks to Faith-Mind and her crew for preparing the ground and sprinkler installation, Andy for advice and fertilizing, and Yudo for watering while I am away.

      Among the many plants, you will find:

      TREES

      Black pines

      A volunteer fig

      An olive

      An Ornamental plum

      A camellia

      A red-leaf maple

      FLOWERS

      A double peony

      Shasta daisies

      Candy tufts

      Little white soldiers

      Rose coral bells

      Lime coral bells

      Lillys petunia patch

      Pansies

      Marigolds

      Lisanthusyellow, purple, apricot

      GROUND COVERS

      Pink clover

      Creeping thyme

      Cranes bill

      Corsican mint

      Stonecrop

      Dymondia

      Wire vine

      Brass buttons

      HERBS

      Five kinds of oregano

      Broad-leafed parsley

      Sweet Basil

      Several Lavendar varieties

      Rosemary

      Chocolate mint

      VEGETABLES
      Zucchini

      Cucumber

      Red warty squash

      Watermelon

      Red, purple, and chocolate bell peppers

      Banana pepper

      Japanese eggplant

      Yellow heirloom tomato

      Red cherry tomato

      A volunteer tomato

      CACTUS, ORCHIDS, AND MANY MORE SURPRISES!

      Enjoy,

      Roshi

      When your work is done, withdraw. This is the way of heaven.--Lao Tzu

      Roshi Wendy Egyoku Nakao

      Abbot & Head Teacher

      Zen Center of Los Angeles

      923 S Normandie Ave

      Los Angeles, CA 90006-1301

      www.zencenter.org

      Please consder the environment before printing this page.

    • Rosa Martinez
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
        Thank you Roshi...all that is there is such a small space.  It looks beautiful.
        Ando

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009
          Wow, congratulations to those who put this all together!  But I, a partially color-blind, over enthusiastic, non-discriminating puller-upper will need to be closely supervised to weed it.

          In gassho,
          Heart-Mirror

        • dthores@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009
            Heart-Mirror,  we do have a "Zen Master"  puller outer of weeds, I think you have experieced her skills in this.  Hopefully with all the planting a lot of the weeds will get choked out. The other question is what is a weed?  My answer is it is a life appearing where I do not want it, so I pull it out. You will have your own experience.

            I want to thank Roshi deeply for all of her gardening. I want you all to know how much work she has put recently into the gardens. She planted all around the Nilotpala, San Marino/Irolo garden, go see it if you have not. I have people on the streets telling me how much they like what we have done, often not in English, but they express their delight well with hand signals, the barrell cactus is always clearly demonstrated and people love them. Also she has planted the new retaining wall garden at the corner and in front of the new Dharma-Hall; she shops for the plants and plants them, a Grounds Stewards dream come true I might add. As the Grounds Steward, I want to express my joy and appreciation with all of her hard work.

             I invite anyone who would like to learn, share and participate in the grounds to contact me, and we can explore this together.

            Thank you Roshi for your work and for sharing.    Faith-Mind

            Wendy Nakao wrote:
            Dear Residents,
            You are all invited to take a stroll in the Pine House front garden many thanks to Faith-Mind and her crew for preparing the ground and sprinkler installation, Andy for advice and fertilizing, and Yudo for watering while I am away.
            Among the many plants, you will find:
            TREES
            Black pines
            A volunteer fig
            An olive
            An Ornamental plum
            A camellia
            =2 0
            A red-leaf maple
            FLOWERS
            A double peony
            Shasta daisies
            Candy tufts
            Little white soldiers
            Rose coral bells
            Lime coral bells
            Lillys petunia patch
            Pansies
            Marigolds
            Lisanthusyellow, purple, apricot
            GROUND COVERS
            Pink clover
            Creeping thyme
            Cranes bill
            Corsican mint
            Stonecrop
            Dymondia< /span>
            Wire vine
            Brass buttons
            HERBS
            Five kinds of oregano
            Broad-leafed parsley
            Sweet Basil
            Several Lavendar varieties
            Rosemary
            Chocolate mint
            =2 0
            VEGETABLES
            Zucchini
            Cucumber
            Red warty squash
            Watermelon
            Red, purple, and chocolate bell peppers
            Banana pepper
            Japanese eggplant
            Yellow heirloom tomato
            Red cherry tomato
            A volunteer tomato
            CACTUS, ORCHIDS, AND MANY MORE SURPRISES!</ font>
            Enjoy,
            Roshi
            Roshi Wendy Egyoku Nakao
            Abbot & Head Teacher
            Zen Center of Los Angeles
            923 S Normandie Ave
            Los Angeles, CA 90006-1301
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009
              I meant Roshi planted the flowers in front of the new Interview rooms, at the entrance to the center. Andy planted the new plants at the D-H and the tree by the work shop.  Also I hope all you stewards have met Rich Forest who has been cleaning out the garden in front of the Sangha House, and Andy, who is doing incredible work everywhere in the garden, he is trimming, planting, designing, feeding and removing those unwanted plants. Rich and Andy are putting in a tremendous amount of work and care taking for our grounds.

              Jotai takes care of the the numerous timers of the sprinklers, this is a huge job now with water conservation, which the Center is working hard to comply with.

              If anyone sees any overwatering, leaking or other sprinkler problems, please notify me or Mary and she will get it to me.

              I again want to Thank all of these bodhisattva gardeners and say how much fun it is to share this work with you all.

              Faith-Mind

              Wendy Nakao wrote:
[...]
              923 S20Normandie Ave
              Los Angeles, CA 90006-1301
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009

                Rich Cloud-Forest. Cloud-Forest is his Dharma name; he and his wife made it their legal surname!

                Wendy Nakao wrote:

[...]

                An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009

                  Thank YOU, Faith-Mind, and all the grounds group – I am looking forward to seeing the garden again—also in search of a kinetic sculpture for the Pine House garden. Eb and I saw some very interesting garden statuary near Ballard yesterday.

                  With appreciation,

                  Roshi

                  Wendy Nakao wrote:

[...]

                • Programsteward Gemmon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 10, 2009

                    THAT GARDEN LOOKS AMAZING!

                    It’s like a wonder, mainly for those who knew it before.

                    Thank you so much

                    Gemmon

                    Evi Gemmon Ketterer

                    ZCLA Program Steward

                    923 S. Normandie Ave

                    Los Angeles, CA 90006

                    programsteward@...

                    Office: (213) 387 2353

                    "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”--Fr. Teilhard de Chardin.