Re: [z_scale] Z roadbed??

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26 6:33 AM
      This question has many answers:

      > I have purchased some of the IBL cork road bed and while the product
      > looks nice, it seems that it will raise the track up off of the
      > scenery an awful lot. Is it just me or what?

      The answers depend on the prototype road (or effect) you are looking to
      achieve.

      Roads built in areas where natural drainage is not a problem literally build
      their rails "at grade." Where flooding is part of the natural weather cycle,
      there is no upper limit on how high the roadbed might be built up above
      grade. It might be well to spend some time on the web looking for pictures
      of the road(s) you plan to model before you come to any conclusion.

      And don't forget the ditches that are all too common on both sides of the
      roadbed. Few modelers take the time to pick up on this detail, but it really
      does look nice when you do it. Obviously, if the cork is micro thin, it
      becomes more difficult to model that feature.

      For those of us here in Texas (Z-Bend Track), we use N scale cork with each
      half of the split cork cut down to 0.5 inch. The flatness of the land
      required SP, T&NO, UP, MKT, RI, etc., to build roadbeds from 3 to 5 feet
      above grade in 2/3rds of the state. Approaches to bridges over waterways may
      have up to 8 feet or more, to protect the tracks when the waterways overflow
      their banks. N scale cork captures that look perfectly. Only working yards
      in cities with storm drain systems are at grade.

      Hope this helps.

      Bill K.
      Houston