Construction Vehicles

  • lsk040365
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2002
      In a post I read some time ago I read the below:

      "a couple of years ago at Kay-bee toys but I went
      for the Micro-machines heavy earth moving equipment that seems to be
      just right for Z scale."

      Can anyone tell me if the construction vehicles from Micro-Machines
      can still be found in the stores?

      Thanks,
      Lee
    • digistevez
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2002
        Hi Lee, I tried Toys r Us and they did not have traditional micro
        machines and construction vehicles but they do show up on ebay now
        and then in large lots (search Galoob micro machines, small cars etc.
        A good way to go shopping is carry a little Z Preiser figure and a
        standard rail car to do a side by side comparison wherever you may
        find small toys. I have a lot of Herpa planes from collecting a while
        back and they are a bit too small by my eye but would look great
        suspended from monofilament over a mountain etc. flying in. Steve -
        working on big rig and backhoe Catipillar, using 1:87 as models for
        caliper sizing and measurements. Always for suggestions, S

        --- In z_scale@y..., "lsk040365" <lkennedy@e...> wrote:
        > In a post I read some time ago I read the below:
        >
        > "a couple of years ago at Kay-bee toys but I went
        > for the Micro-machines heavy earth moving equipment that seems to be
        > just right for Z scale."
        >
        > Can anyone tell me if the construction vehicles from Micro-Machines
        > can still be found in the stores?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Lee
      • yoshi98bc
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
          I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get z scale front loaders,
          backhoes, dump trucks, etc. Any help would he appreciated. Yhanks
        • randy smidt
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
            Hi Yoshi (?),

            There are some pieces in Z scale, but not a lot.

            Marklin has a European (I think MB cab) dumptruck and cement mixer. Also had a tracked excavator and a wheeled excavator in two different sets. The excavators were not available by themselves and I think were made for Marklin by MZZ (see below).

            MZZ has the most, but they are somewhat pricey and hard to find in the USA.
            2 (?) different Liebherr cranes
            Caterpillar Road grader
            Volvo Rock Truck (articulated off road dumptruck)
            Dump trailer with MB (?) tractor
            Road roller
            Tracked Excavator
            Front Loader (European style)
            Bulldozer
            Forklift

            Ertl used to have some very small diecast pieces that you often see on N scale layouts but I think are closer to 1/192 scale. These are all Caterpillar pieces and include a Bulldozer, rock truck, pan, front loader, Challenger track type tractor and maybe one or two other pieces.

            The HotWheel Micro (or Atomix) line used to have a few more Caterpillar pieces including a Pan, Excavator, and offroad dump truck, road grader and I think two other pieces. Some of these are too small for Z scale though.

            Tomix (Tomy Toy) has at least a Komatsu tracked excavator with either a magnetic material handling attachment or a jack hammer head on it. They may also have a front loader and Komatsu bulldozer. Don Avilla and I have found a couple of these pieces by chance, but not very easy to find. Don found his in a gumball machine like vending machine. I found mine loose at a train show.

            There is an N scale Schaaf mini-excavator that Herpa makes that some folks have cut down the cab on to use for Z scale.

            The old Bachman N scale construction vehicle packs might have a couple usable pieces. The front loader and Euclid 1940's-1950's era offroad dump truck may work for Z since I think they are undersized for N scale.

            The old MicroMachines bulldozer would work OK for a 1980's model D9 bulldozer, although I think it is actually patterned on a D7 (which would work for N scale). The D7 and D9 were pretty close in appearance, just different sizes.

            Tim Beuhring, aka "Sgt. Tim", scratchbuilt some fantastic crane trucks (Terex's ?). He might be persued to produce these in resin once he gets his workshop set up again in his new abode. (Yes, Tim, I want some too ;-)

            MakeMyModel.com has recently released some on the road dumptrucks using their rapid prototyping process.

            There might be another piece or two out there that is usable from some N scale models, but that is pretty much it. I guess that's more than I thought, but less than I want. ;-)

            I may try my hand at scratchbuilding some construction equipment in another year or so, once I get some other projects out of the way. If they come out OK, I might duplicate them in resin (assuming I ever get the project off the ground).

            Randy Smidt
            Springfield, VA

            yoshi98bc <yoshi98bc@...> wrote:
            I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get z scale front loaders,
            backhoes, dump trucks, etc. Any help would he appreciated. Yhanks

            G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale

          • yoshi98bc
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
              Thanks for the reply. When I was looking through the Sept/Oct issue
              of ztrack from this year, the very last page, 39, shows 2 spearate
              layouts with a backhoe. I was wondering who makes these. Thanks

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:

> [...]
              dumptrucks using their rapid prototyping process.

              > There might be another piece or two out there that is usable
              from some N scale models, but that is pretty much it. I guess
              that's more than I thought, but less than I want. ;-)

              > I may try my hand at scratchbuilding some construction equipment
              in another year or so, once I get some other projects out of the
              way. If they come out OK, I might duplicate them in resin (assuming
              I ever get the project off the ground).

              > Randy Smidt
              > Springfield, VA
              >

              > yoshi98bc <yoshi98bc@y...> wrote:
              > I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get z scale front
              loaders,
              > backhoes, dump trucks, etc. Any help would he appreciated. Yhanks

              > G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n
              scale Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale

              Service.

            • Melissa Cull
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
                Hi Yoshi,

                Z-Club GB also make a JCB backhoe digger amongst lots of other useful bits.

                http://www.ford.demon.co.uk/zclubgb.html

                http://www.ford.demon.co.uk/jcb.jpg

                Kind RegardZ

                Melissa Cull
                UK

> [...]

                  that's more than I thought, but less than I want. ;-)

                  > I may try my hand at scratchbuilding some construction equipment
                  in another year or so, once I get some other projects out of the
                  way. If they come out OK, I might duplicate them in resin (assuming
                  I ever get the project off the ground).

                  > Randy Smidt
                  > Springfield, VA
                  >

                  > yoshi98bc <yoshi98bc@y...> wrote:
                  > I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get z scale front
                  loaders,
                  > backhoes, dump trucks, etc. Any help would he appreciated. Yhanks

                  > G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n
                  scale Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale

                  Service.

                  G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale

                • Phil
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
                    Hi Yoshi,

                    I have successfully ordered from zundmeer and they are very
                    friendly. Of course being overseas, shipping takes some time. I
                    ordered the front end loader myself.

                    As previously mentioned, there are other places such as makemymodel
                    that have dump trucks and other vehicles. I didn't see anyone
                    mention, and I'm not sure about the size as I haven't ordered from
                    them yet, but on ye ole auction site there are some construction
                    vehicles - cranes, backhoes and such. I believe the sellers name is
                    savonart.

                    Good luck and let us know what you find.

                    Phil

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 23, 2005
                      Hi Randy,

                      Graham said a few weeks ago they are available as I'm going to order some
                      items after Christmas and living not far from the JCB factories a JCB is a
                      must:-)

                      Kind regardZ

                      Melissa