Re: [z_scale] Track Weathering. attn Bill K.

  • Kari Tanskanen
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2002
      Ole,
      I think there's no need to be that critical about depth of field.
      You are just pushing the technology to the limits. The Tuborg car
      picture
      is an extreme close-up. And the green train shot from an angle is
      difficult
      because it requires a lot of depth of field. It's no use to compare with
      those pictures somebody else took. They just show the advantage of
      bigger
      scales in this case. I don't know whether other digital cameras have
      smaller apertures available or whether an expensive digital SLR would
      help in this case, but I think that's about as good as it gets with
      current state of technology.

      Regards,
      Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
      http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
      Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory

      Ole Rosted wrote:

      > Ok - they *are* a little out of fucus :-))
      > So are mine!
      > I'm beginning to think that light - lots of light - is fundamental to
      > close-up photography. In fact I believe that taking the pics outdoors
      > on a lightly clouded, sunny day is the best way to get an even - and
      > sufficient - lighting.
      >
      > What camera do you use? ( you may have told us but either I haven't
      > seen it or I have forgotten it) Talk about "volatile memory" :-((
      >
      > I have added a page to my close-up "site" at
      >
      > http://home4.inet.tele.dk/rosted
      >
      > if anyone cares to see (some of) my attemts. I had some trouble with
      > the navigation buttons (at the bottom of the pages. But they are
      > working now.
      >
      > I didn't take the *good* pics on the pages, and my search for the
      > artist hasn't revealed him/her.
      >
      > regards Ole Rosted

    • Ole Rosted
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2002
        On Fri, 03 May 2002 10:07:51 +0300, Kari Tanskanen wrote:

        Hi Kari,

        >Ole,
        >I think there's no need to be that critical about depth of field.
        >You are just pushing the technology to the limits.

        What else are limits for? :-)

        Thanks for the mental support, Kari, I am/was sitting here feeling
        dumber and dumber. By no means an unfamiliar feeling, but nevertheless
        difficult to get used to.

        > They just show the advantage of bigger scales in this case.

        That must be the only situation for Z to be disadvantageous?

        >I don't know whether other digital cameras have
        >smaller apertures available or whether an expensive digital SLR would
        >help in this case,

        I do!! - According to specs - that is. The Nikon DX1 and D100 have all
        the things I need. Unfortunately I do *not* have what Nikon needs =
        6.000 usd. OK the D100 is "only" half that price, but still beyond my
        spending horizon.
        And even if it weren't, I'm not convinced, that a better camera would
        help me. There are people that can do whatever they want using a bent
        nail and a piece of band-aid. And there is me. Sad but true :-(
        Never mind - I'm having great fun anyway!

        >but I think that's about as good as it gets with
        >current state of technology.

        Thank you!!

        regards Ole Rosted