Z Museum / History of Z scale ?

  • Mark Bradley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2002
      Hello Everyone,

      In the message shown far below ("Re: [z_scale] American Z Museum"), Rob Kluz
      of Ztrack Magazine mentions the "history of Z scale" which makes me wonder,
      what is the history of Z scale? I realize Rob is speaking about the idea of
      a display for Ft. Lauderdale that would show a "brief history of Z scale",
      but I am wondering about the WRITTEN history of Z scale.

      Does anyone know any good web sites (or other resources) that tell a good
      (detailed) history of Z scale?

      Or would anyone care to repspond to this message with their own details of
      what they know to be the history of Z scale?

      Thanks in advance,

      Mark

      PS Did Z scale only start in 1972 with Marklin or were there small models
      before that? The reason I mention it is because I thought N scale started
      in the 1960's until I saw on the N.M.R.A.'s web site where they have a
      videotape clinic that discusses N scale as far back as 1903. See:
      http://www.nmra.org/library/avvids.htm (about 1/5 down the page) there is a
      listing for "Jim Fitzgerald & Ben Davis
      N-Scale & NTRAK - VV500 VHS, 68 min." which says, "This interesting and
      informative clinic traces the history of N-Scale, from as early as 1903!"
      So were there Z scale models BEFORE 1972? If not, I would still be
      interested in hearing about the start and development of Z scale. Any
      information you could provide would be genuinely appreciated. Thank you!
      :-)