Re: [z_scale] Re: American Z Museum

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2002
      I had to think about this one. I would love to put a display together for Ft.
      Lauderdale to show a brief history of Z scale. I know though that time is a
      factor and I must be realistic. Fortunately, Ft. Lauderdale is going to be a
      showcase for Z scale. A lot of everything will be there!

      As for the potential of Z scale, well, the module groups and their assembly
      of the world's largest Z layout will sure show the extremes Z scale can go.
      Other efforts from David George and Terry Sutfin will definitely show the
      more realistic side of Z scale. No matter what your Z interest my be, Ft.
      Lauderdale will have it!

      As for a permanent Z museum, well that is in the thought process. Ztrack is
      accumulating quite a collection of Z scale items from a variety of
      manufacturers. We would love to put many of these on static display with
      running layouts showing off the trains. We are even looking into putting
      together a not for profit organization to start the ball rolling for the
      museum.

      It is fun to dream, and as you know, dream can come true!

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
    • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2002
        Dear Rob,

        just a reminder. If you calculate the running cost of your dream of an American
        Z Museum, please take into consideration the premium for the insurance against
        burglary and theft. Sometimes the value of these little gems is underestimated
        when you have them in one place. But criminals may know it. As you may know, the
        Z Club 92 Museum in Bochum, Germany was robbed twice. As far as I know, it had
        to be closed down finally, partly also due to the high insurance premium.

        regards

        Dieter

        ztrack@... schrieb:
        > I had to think about this one. I would love to put a display together for Ft.
        > Lauderdale to show a brief history of Z scale. I know though that time is a
        > factor and I must be realistic. Fortunately, Ft. Lauderdale is going to be a
        > showcase for Z scale. A lot of everything will be there!
        >
        > As for the potential of Z scale, well, the module groups and their assembly
        > of the world's largest Z layout will sure show the extremes Z scale can go.
        > Other efforts from David George and Terry Sutfin will definitely show the
        > more realistic side of Z scale. No matter what your Z interest my be, Ft.
        > Lauderdale will have it!
        >
        > As for a permanent Z museum, well that is in the thought process. Ztrack is
        > accumulating quite a collection of Z scale items from a variety of
        > manufacturers. We would love to put many of these on static display with
        > running layouts showing off the trains. We are even looking into putting
        > together a not for profit organization to start the ball rolling for the
        > museum.
        >
        > It is fun to dream, and as you know, dream can come true!
        >
        > Rob Kluz
        >
        > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
        > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        > Dublin, OH 43016
        > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
        > www.ztrack.com

        Dieter W. Nolte
        E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 16, 2002
          Dieter,

          Good point. Yes, in our initial planning, insurance plays a big part. Here is
          the US, insurance is everything thanks to a sue or be sued attitude. I do not
          plan to rush into this, and will go slowly to make sure we do it right. I
          would not want to close the doors because of theft or other problems.

          It is funny, but I can really see how I would like it to be. I imagine a
          place were Z scalers and model railroaders in general can meet and share
          their hobby. Like it has been said before, dreams can come true...

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
        • digistevez
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2002
            Hi Rob, for what it is worth I ran and owned a photocopy/DTP store
            here in vancouver for 8 years until a car accident which layed me up
            a while, lots of equipment, files etc. As for insurance I leased city
            property and had to have fire insurance for that purpose but as with
            art and custom items including Z item replacement is dificult and
            blue book is blue book so to speak plus discretionary depreciation. I
            dropped insurance for contents and put about half a years premium
            into making the place totally secure via doors and loud audible alarm
            etc. Never, knock on wood did I ever get broken into, but they tried.
            A beware of dog sign does'nt hurt either to keep them guessing. Your
            project is admirable. Steve
            --- In z_scale@y..., ztrack@a... wrote:
            > Dieter,
            >
            > Good point. Yes, in our initial planning, insurance plays a big
            part. Here is
            > the US, insurance is everything thanks to a sue or be sued
            attitude. I do not
            > plan to rush into this, and will go slowly to make sure we do it
            right. I
            > would not want to close the doors because of theft or other
            problems.

            > It is funny, but I can really see how I would like it to be. I
            imagine a
            > place were Z scalers and model railroaders in general can meet and
            share
            > their hobby. Like it has been said before, dreams can come true...
            >
            > Rob Kluz
            >
            > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            > Dublin, OH 43016
            > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
            > www.ztrack.com
          • David George
            Message 5 of 8 , May 17, 2002
              Rob,
              This Yahoo Z scale group internet site is a most valuable sharing "Place"
              for me. It's a vertual museum for all of us.The physical museum would be
              an adjunct to what has transpired here these last few years.
              Thanks to everyone who contributes here!
              David G.
              Spring,TX.
              --- ztrack@... wrote:
              > Dieter,
              >
              > Good point. Yes, in our initial planning, insurance plays a big part.
              > Here is
              > the US, insurance is everything thanks to a sue or be sued attitude. I
              > do not
              > plan to rush into this, and will go slowly to make sure we do it right.
              > would not want to close the doors because of theft or other problems.
              >
              > It is funny, but I can really see how I would like it to be. I imagine a
              >
              > place were Z scalers and model railroaders in general can meet and share
              >
              > their hobby. Like it has been said before, dreams can come true...
              >
              > Rob Kluz
              >
              > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
              > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              > Dublin, OH 43016
              > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
              > www.ztrack.com

              LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
              http://launch.yahoo.com
            • digistevez
              Message 6 of 8 , May 17, 2002
                Hi everyone, here is a link to the Railway museums across Canada.
                Seems to be a great list of different operations and sites.
                http://railmuseums.railscanada.com/
                Steve