Opportunity for Marklin dealers in Europe

  • SecondhandMarklin.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27 10:26 AM
      Hi Gang,

      I can't help but feel that there are a large number of small to
      mid-size Marklin dealers in Europe that would love to sell products
      internationally.

      The problem is that as a buyer, I do not know how to contact these
      people. Most of the 'official' dealer lists I have seen have a name
      and address, and some times maybe a phone number...but hardly ever an
      e-mail address-web site address-or Fax number.

      I believe that everyone would benefit if there was a comprehensive list
      of European Marklin dealers that we could easily contact. The dealers
      would have more sales and we as customers would have a better source of
      supply. It would be great if each dealer had a web site with products
      and prices on it... but that is not realistic at this time.

      I can forsee a couple problems with a list of European dealers with
      e-mail addresses. Problem (A) is that not all European dealers can
      read a language other then their own, and most international customers
      can not communicate in the dealers native language, and (B) We as 'low
      price seeking' customers may drive some of the dealers crazy with an
      endless stream of price shopping requests.

      Maybe if we could put together a list of European dealers with the
      language they speak, web site address (web sites can be easily
      translated online), Fax number, type of payments accepted, along with
      their names and address, e-mail address and the scales they sell this
      would be a start. We may also have to ad other 3-rail, Z scale, 1
      gauge lines that they carry.

      What do you think?

      Bill

      =====
      -The Smart Way to Buy & Sell Marklin-

      http://SecondhandMarklin.com - It's FAST
      http://SecondhandMarklin.com - It's FREE

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2002
        I agree and would like to see this myself, as I would
        definitely use it. What do you think about this Rob
        or Jeffery? Could this list be incorporated into the
        site here or at Ztrack? Thanks,
        --- "SecondhandMarklin.com"

        =====
        WILLIAM BROCK

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
          I must bow out on this one. My official policy and the policy of Ztrack
          Magazine is to support your local Märklin dealer. Ztrack Magazine does not
          accept advertising from European dealers to run in North America. We instead
          offer supplements for European dealers to be mailed to subscribers in their
          country.

          There are many reasons for this policy. First is to support the local shop
          owner. I have seen too many dealers hurt because they are loosing sales
          direct to Europe. Frankly, we need these shops. If we did not have the
          committed local dealers, Märklin Z (as well as HO, etc) would be hampered in
          growth and support. Recently, I watched a shop owner spend at least twenty
          minutes with a customer going over the intricacies of a HO digital
          locomotive. The dealer did not get the sale and found out that the loco was
          instead ordered through Europe. The customer was only there to view before he
          purchased. Why should a hard working shop owner commit his time to be a
          visual catalog for sales when he has rent to pay?

          As for the support issue, while most folks have not had problems with the
          overseas dealers they are working with, one noted Z scale German dealer is in
          actuality a gray market dealer. Many Zers have been burned by poor service,
          and non-truthfull advertising (used while sold as new).

          As for pricing, I am sometimes unimpressed by the savings. It also should be
          noted that in the seventeen years since I started into the hobby, pricing on
          many Märklin items has actually decreased. The gap has narrowed. Märklin Inc,
          and Märklin Germany are also working to narrow if not eliminate the remaining
          gap. Dealers in the US have the opportunity to buy direct from Märklin
          Germany, further reducing the cost of the product.

          So let me end by asking a question. Why should we help the small to mid level
          dealers in Europe when the small to mid level dealers in the US are
          struggling? What would it be like not have a local dealer? Many of you
          already know the reality. For us who have suffered through not having a local
          dealer, only to gain one, we definitely do not what to loose them. For me,
          the benefits of having a loyal, knowledgeable dealer that you work with in
          the US, far outweigh the slight savings from purchasing overseas.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
        • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
            Rob,

            I fully understand your viewpoint and what you are
            conveying. But I do not have a local hobby shop to,
            A) purchase Z scale items I am interested in or that
            wishes to supply what I want and, B) I find the source
            I have in Europe does provide substantial cost savings
            for which am very happy with and does have a complete
            'line'. I have tried to locate and support a local
            "loyal knowledgeable dealer to work with". In the past
            I have found and had a "loyal knowledgeable dealer" to
            work with in HO scale that I ordered and purchased my
            items through, even though I could have found the same
            through direct sale. I did this because I wanted to
            see his business continue and flourish. Yet, I am no
            longer in HO, he does not supply Z scale, and he says
            it would not be profitable for him. I do not have a
            comparable Z scale dealer to work with, thus the
            inquiry.

            However, I do not feel it is right to ask and use a
            dealers time about a product, just to purchase an item
            somewhere else. There are ethics and this inquiry was
            not to hurt local dealers who are both good and within
            reasonable distance to a "local dealer". I do want to
            see Z scale prosper and understand your stated view
            and policy and understand you should hold to this.
            But, do not assume everyone has a local dealer or a
            willing local dealer or a local "loyal knowledgeable
            dealer" to work with. I am very open to gaining a
            local "loyal knowledgeable dealer" to me and not
            opposed to supporting one as I have done in the past.

            For now though, the best for me is 'overseas' sales,
            for which I have returned an item that did not work
            and was sent a brand new one as ordered. I get
            service that way too.

            Having stated my stance, Rob your magazine is only
            getting that much better each time I read it and I
            appreciate your promotion of Z scale. All the
            articles in the latest issue are great. You have a
            good thing going there. Thanks,

            Will

            =====
            WILLIAM BROCK

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
              Will,

              I understand your situation. It is difficult not having a Z dealer local.
              Unfortunately, there are a lot of Z enthusiasts in the same situation. I
              would love to see a Märklin Z dealer in every city, but I feel we are
              actually going the other way and loosing dealers. For instance, a number of
              years ago, Columbus Ohio had three to four shops carrying Z, now only one.
              Märklin has been working hard to increase their dealer base and we are seeing
              new stores carry the line which is good. I do ask not to forget about the
              dealers that advertise in Ztrack. These stores are very committed to the
              hobby and offer great service. I trust them all.

              Thanks for the kind words on the last issue. It is amazing how much is
              happening in the Z world. It really is a good time to be a Z scaler and I
              think it is only going to get much, much better. Take care,

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
              www.ztrack.com
            • LDPERRIN
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
                Rob:

                Could you get someone to update your dealer list on your web page?
                Some of the links dont work, and I think I saw a dealer on the back
                of one of the magazenes you sent me (I can't remember if it was a
                back issue I ordered or the most recent one, I'll let you know), but
                his info wasn't on your site.

                BTW.. the Zenes look GREAT. excellent job. looking forward to every
                issue now

                Warren