Re: Era selection etc.

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2000
      I agree with my namesake, Jeff. Let's play with our trains. I refer to my
      study (aka trainroom) as my playpen! I must admit that I am really stuck
      with the roof walk - no roof walk hangup. I haven't purchased any MTL
      rolling stock in the latter category.

      While I was developping my N scale empire back in the late 80's and early
      90's, I had 2 sets of locos and rolling stock. One set depicted 1954
      specifically and the other 1975 specifically. With enough research and
      availability of detail parts, I was able to assemble a decent loco and
      rolling stock roster to model the years that I had selected. I suppose that
      I would like to do the same in Z in the event that somebody completes the
      Rogue SD40-2 project and I can get my hands on a couple of GP38-2s. I would
      have to repaint and decal them in CN colors though.

      My layout is designed for 7 locos in service which includes 4 road
      switchers, 2 local switchers and an excursion railbus. The SD40-2s would
      look a little out of place doing industrial switching so I would need a
      couple of short wheel base locos. I'm sure that the expense would also be a
      major barrier even if these models don't exist at the moment.

      I'm relatively happy with what I have at the moment in terms of motive power
      and I haven't even begun to explore all the operating possibilities.

      Cheers from sunny Vancouver,
      Jeffrey
    • D.W.Nolte
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2000
        Dear Jeffrey,

        may I draw your attention on an old timer switcher, an US-American Box Cab
        Dieselloco (General Electric) in scale Z.
        The German manufacturer Freudenreich Feinwerktechnik has this machine in his
        program.
        Freudenreich has also some other American cars like a twin bay hopper (I
        purchased two of these very fine cars) and also train sets of F7 locos and
        smooth side double deck coaches in matching road names like Southern Pacific and
        Chicago and North Western.
        As far as I know, Mr. Freudenreich is already delivering goods to the USA, so he
        is familiar with American customers.

        http://home.t-online.de/home/FR.model
        e-mail: FR.model@...

        Regards