Re: Strange question n.1 - Manual uncoupling

  • tv175
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hello, Alex --

      ---------
      > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is something=
      obscure to me...
      ---------

      A bamboo skewer looks like a very long toothpick. It has the same circumfer=
      ence as a toothpick (about 1.5mm) but is four or five times longer than a to=
      othpick. Mine are pointed at one end. Although some strange people use them =
      to grill food, they were clearly designed for uncoupling model railroad cars=
      . :-)

      ---------
      > So the question is: what about we Zers?

      > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL (magnetic) and=
      MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld tool?
      ---------

      Any slender, round, pointed tool of at least 1.5mm-2mm thickness will proba=
      bly work as a manual uncoupler. My favorite tool is a bamboo skewer, because=
      it's long. I've also used a toothpick and a stout metal needle. Some compan=
      ies such as Rix manufacture a plastic uncoupling "pick" (designed for N and =
      HO) which works on the same principle. I think a wood or plastic tool will w=
      ork best; metal may eventually damage couplers, and if it becomes magnetized=
      it may not work well with MTL couplers.

      ---------
      > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to bette=
      r perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one side of a car=
      form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just touching the couplers as I=
      presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....
      ---------

      A skewer or similar pick will work equally well on Magne-matic and Märklin =
      couplers. It will even work on those troublesome Märklin-compatible couplers=
      manufactured by MTL (with some practice!). The trick is to gently push the =
      point of the pick between the two knuckles of a pair of MTL couplers, or bet=
      ween two Märklin fish-hooks. Once the tip has gotten between the couplers, t=
      he shoulders of the tool will spread and dis-engage the couplers. With Märkl=
      in couplers, you can swing one of the hooks clear of the other one. You may =
      need to push one of the cars down the track a millimeter or two to prevent r=
      e-coupling, but otherwise it leaves the cars right where they are. You can e=
      ven uncouple on curved track.

      -- Andy Hunting
    • tv175
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hello, Alex --

        ---------

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          Hello, Alex --

          ---------
          > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is
          something obscure to me...
          ---------

          A bamboo skewer looks like a very long toothpick. It has the same
          circumference as a toothpick (about 1.5mm) but is four or five times
          longer than a toothpick. Mine are pointed at one end. Although some
          strange people use them to grill food, they were clearly designed for
          uncoupling model railroad cars. :-)

          ---------
          > So the question is: what about we Zers?

          > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL
          (magnetic) and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld
          tool?
          ---------

          Any slender, round, pointed tool of at least 1.5mm-2mm thickness will
          probably work as a manual uncoupler. My favorite tool is a bamboo
          skewer, because it's long. I've also used a toothpick and a stout
          metal needle. Some companies such as Rix manufacture a plastic
          uncoupling "pick" (designed for N and HO) which works on the same
          principle. I think a wood or plastic tool will work best; metal may
          eventually damage couplers, and if it becomes magnetized it may not
          work well with MTL couplers.

          ---------
          > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to
          better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one
          side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just
          touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....
          ---------

          A skewer or similar pick will work equally well on Magne-matic and
          Märklin couplers. It will even work on those troublesome
          Märklin-compatible couplers manufactured by MTL (with some
          practice!). The trick is to gently push the point of the pick between
          the two knuckles of a pair of MTL couplers, or between two Märklin
          fish-hooks. Once the tip has gotten between the couplers, the
          shoulders of the tool will spread and dis-engage the couplers. With
          Märklin couplers, you can swing one of the hooks clear of the
          other one. You may need to push one of the cars down the track a
          millimeter or two to prevent re-coupling, but otherwise it leaves the
          cars right where they are. You can even uncouple on curved track.

          -- Andy Hunting
        • ddechamp71
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            --- In z_scale@y..., "The President" <epsilonlyrae@l...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > reading on other groups, in particular those related to Layout
            Operations in HO and N, I realized that most part of operators
            prefer to use manual uncoupling instead of using electric or magnetic
            devices. It is more realistic and reliable.
            > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is
            something obscure to me...

            > So the question is: what about we Zers?
            >
            > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL
            (magnetic) and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld
            tool?
            > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to
            better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one
            side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just
            touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....

            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > Alex

            Alex, in my case I use Magnematic Z scale decouplers, as I'm MT/KD
            coupler equipped. I have difficulties with several cars to uncouple
            them, it must be the result of a bad adjusting of the trip pin. To
            solve this problem that must not be uncommon, I have heard that some
            modellers use N scale Magnematic uncouplers.....
            Cheers
            Dominique from Paris, France