Re: [z_scale] Strange question n.1 - Manual uncoupling

  • Nelson Snedeker
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 2:45 PM
      Hi Alex: Micro Mark sells an uncoupler that looks like a needle with
      a handle . Since it works on Kadee , Inter-mountain & , McHenry magmetic
      couplers in HO and N scale and has a rather sharp point , I am inclined
      to believe it will work on "Z" ga. Has anyone out there ever tried
      one? P/N 80972 $5.50 Nel

      The President wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > reading on other groups, in particular those related to Layout
      > Operations in HO and N, I realized that most part of operators prefer
      > to use manual uncoupling instead of using electric or magnetic
      > devices. It is more realistic and reliable.
      > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is
      > something obscure to me...
      >
      > So the question is: what about we Zers?
      >
      > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL (magnetic)
      > and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld tool?
      > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to
      > better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one
      > side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just
      > touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Alex

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • tv175
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 2:50 PM
        Hello, Alex --

        ---------
        > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is something=
        obscure to me...
        ---------

        A bamboo skewer looks like a very long toothpick. It has the same circumfer=
        ence as a toothpick (about 1.5mm) but is four or five times longer than a to=
        othpick. Mine are pointed at one end. Although some strange people use them =
        to grill food, they were clearly designed for uncoupling model railroad cars=
        . :-)

        ---------
        > So the question is: what about we Zers?

        > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL (magnetic) and=
        MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld tool?
        ---------

        Any slender, round, pointed tool of at least 1.5mm-2mm thickness will proba=
        bly work as a manual uncoupler. My favorite tool is a bamboo skewer, because=
        it's long. I've also used a toothpick and a stout metal needle. Some compan=
        ies such as Rix manufacture a plastic uncoupling "pick" (designed for N and =
        HO) which works on the same principle. I think a wood or plastic tool will w=
        ork best; metal may eventually damage couplers, and if it becomes magnetized=
        it may not work well with MTL couplers.

        ---------
        > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to bette=
        r perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one side of a car=
        form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just touching the couplers as I=
        presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....
        ---------

        A skewer or similar pick will work equally well on Magne-matic and Märklin =
        couplers. It will even work on those troublesome Märklin-compatible couplers=
        manufactured by MTL (with some practice!). The trick is to gently push the =
        point of the pick between the two knuckles of a pair of MTL couplers, or bet=
        ween two Märklin fish-hooks. Once the tip has gotten between the couplers, t=
        he shoulders of the tool will spread and dis-engage the couplers. With Märkl=
        in couplers, you can swing one of the hooks clear of the other one. You may =
        need to push one of the cars down the track a millimeter or two to prevent r=
        e-coupling, but otherwise it leaves the cars right where they are. You can e=
        ven uncouple on curved track.

        -- Andy Hunting
      • tv175
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 2:51 PM
          Hello, Alex --

          ---------

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 3:01 PM
            Hello, Alex --

            ---------
            > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is
            something obscure to me...
            ---------

            A bamboo skewer looks like a very long toothpick. It has the same
            circumference as a toothpick (about 1.5mm) but is four or five times
            longer than a toothpick. Mine are pointed at one end. Although some
            strange people use them to grill food, they were clearly designed for
            uncoupling model railroad cars. :-)

            ---------
            > So the question is: what about we Zers?

            > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL
            (magnetic) and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld
            tool?
            ---------

            Any slender, round, pointed tool of at least 1.5mm-2mm thickness will
            probably work as a manual uncoupler. My favorite tool is a bamboo
            skewer, because it's long. I've also used a toothpick and a stout
            metal needle. Some companies such as Rix manufacture a plastic
            uncoupling "pick" (designed for N and HO) which works on the same
            principle. I think a wood or plastic tool will work best; metal may
            eventually damage couplers, and if it becomes magnetized it may not
            work well with MTL couplers.

            ---------
            > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to
            better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one
            side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just
            touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....
            ---------

            A skewer or similar pick will work equally well on Magne-matic and
            Märklin couplers. It will even work on those troublesome
            Märklin-compatible couplers manufactured by MTL (with some
            practice!). The trick is to gently push the point of the pick between
            the two knuckles of a pair of MTL couplers, or between two Märklin
            fish-hooks. Once the tip has gotten between the couplers, the
            shoulders of the tool will spread and dis-engage the couplers. With
            Märklin couplers, you can swing one of the hooks clear of the
            other one. You may need to push one of the cars down the track a
            millimeter or two to prevent re-coupling, but otherwise it leaves the
            cars right where they are. You can even uncouple on curved track.

            -- Andy Hunting
          • ddechamp71
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2 1:19 AM
              --- In z_scale@y..., "The President" <epsilonlyrae@l...> wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > reading on other groups, in particular those related to Layout
              Operations in HO and N, I realized that most part of operators
              prefer to use manual uncoupling instead of using electric or magnetic
              devices. It is more realistic and reliable.
              > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is
              something obscure to me...

              > So the question is: what about we Zers?
              >
              > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL
              (magnetic) and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld
              tool?
              > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to
              better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one
              side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just
              touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....

              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Alex

              Alex, in my case I use Magnematic Z scale decouplers, as I'm MT/KD
              coupler equipped. I have difficulties with several cars to uncouple
              them, it must be the result of a bad adjusting of the trip pin. To
              solve this problem that must not be uncommon, I have heard that some
              modellers use N scale Magnematic uncouplers.....
              Cheers
              Dominique from Paris, France