Strange question n.1 - Manual uncoupling

  • The President
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      reading on other groups, in particular those related to Layout Operations in HO and N, I realized that most part of operators prefer to use manual uncoupling instead of using electric or magnetic devices. It is more realistic and reliable.
      Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is something obscure to me...

      So the question is: what about we Zers?

      Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL (magnetic) and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld tool?
      In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....

      Thanks in advance,

      Alex

    • Nelson Snedeker
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hi Alex: Micro Mark sells an uncoupler that looks like a needle with
        a handle . Since it works on Kadee , Inter-mountain & , McHenry magmetic
        couplers in HO and N scale and has a rather sharp point , I am inclined
        to believe it will work on "Z" ga. Has anyone out there ever tried
        one? P/N 80972 $5.50 Nel

        The President wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > reading on other groups, in particular those related to Layout
        > Operations in HO and N, I realized that most part of operators prefer
        > to use manual uncoupling instead of using electric or magnetic
        > devices. It is more realistic and reliable.
        > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is
        > something obscure to me...
        >
        > So the question is: what about we Zers?
        >
        > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL (magnetic)
        > and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld tool?
        > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to
        > better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one
        > side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just
        > touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Alex

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • tv175
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          Hello, Alex --

          ---------
          > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is something=
          obscure to me...
          ---------

          A bamboo skewer looks like a very long toothpick. It has the same circumfer=
          ence as a toothpick (about 1.5mm) but is four or five times longer than a to=
          othpick. Mine are pointed at one end. Although some strange people use them =
          to grill food, they were clearly designed for uncoupling model railroad cars=
          . :-)

          ---------
          > So the question is: what about we Zers?

          > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL (magnetic) and=
          MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld tool?
          ---------

          Any slender, round, pointed tool of at least 1.5mm-2mm thickness will proba=
          bly work as a manual uncoupler. My favorite tool is a bamboo skewer, because=
          it's long. I've also used a toothpick and a stout metal needle. Some compan=
          ies such as Rix manufacture a plastic uncoupling "pick" (designed for N and =
          HO) which works on the same principle. I think a wood or plastic tool will w=
          ork best; metal may eventually damage couplers, and if it becomes magnetized=
          it may not work well with MTL couplers.

          ---------
          > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to bette=
          r perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one side of a car=
          form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just touching the couplers as I=
          presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....
          ---------

          A skewer or similar pick will work equally well on Magne-matic and Märklin =
          couplers. It will even work on those troublesome Märklin-compatible couplers=
          manufactured by MTL (with some practice!). The trick is to gently push the =
          point of the pick between the two knuckles of a pair of MTL couplers, or bet=
          ween two Märklin fish-hooks. Once the tip has gotten between the couplers, t=
          he shoulders of the tool will spread and dis-engage the couplers. With Märkl=
          in couplers, you can swing one of the hooks clear of the other one. You may =
          need to push one of the cars down the track a millimeter or two to prevent r=
          e-coupling, but otherwise it leaves the cars right where they are. You can e=
          ven uncouple on curved track.

          -- Andy Hunting
        • tv175
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
            Hello, Alex --

            ---------

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
              Hello, Alex --

              ---------
              > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is
              something obscure to me...
              ---------

              A bamboo skewer looks like a very long toothpick. It has the same
              circumference as a toothpick (about 1.5mm) but is four or five times
              longer than a toothpick. Mine are pointed at one end. Although some
              strange people use them to grill food, they were clearly designed for
              uncoupling model railroad cars. :-)

              ---------
              > So the question is: what about we Zers?

              > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL
              (magnetic) and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld
              tool?
              ---------

              Any slender, round, pointed tool of at least 1.5mm-2mm thickness will
              probably work as a manual uncoupler. My favorite tool is a bamboo
              skewer, because it's long. I've also used a toothpick and a stout
              metal needle. Some companies such as Rix manufacture a plastic
              uncoupling "pick" (designed for N and HO) which works on the same
              principle. I think a wood or plastic tool will work best; metal may
              eventually damage couplers, and if it becomes magnetized it may not
              work well with MTL couplers.

              ---------
              > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to
              better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one
              side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just
              touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....
              ---------

              A skewer or similar pick will work equally well on Magne-matic and
              Märklin couplers. It will even work on those troublesome
              Märklin-compatible couplers manufactured by MTL (with some
              practice!). The trick is to gently push the point of the pick between
              the two knuckles of a pair of MTL couplers, or between two Märklin
              fish-hooks. Once the tip has gotten between the couplers, the
              shoulders of the tool will spread and dis-engage the couplers. With
              Märklin couplers, you can swing one of the hooks clear of the
              other one. You may need to push one of the cars down the track a
              millimeter or two to prevent re-coupling, but otherwise it leaves the
              cars right where they are. You can even uncouple on curved track.

              -- Andy Hunting
            • ddechamp71
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
                --- In z_scale@y..., "The President" <epsilonlyrae@l...> wrote:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > reading on other groups, in particular those related to Layout
                Operations in HO and N, I realized that most part of operators
                prefer to use manual uncoupling instead of using electric or magnetic
                devices. It is more realistic and reliable.
                > Moreover many use handheld tools like a "bamboo skewer" that is
                something obscure to me...

                > So the question is: what about we Zers?
                >
                > Do you uncouple the cars preferably by hands or using MTL
                (magnetic) and MKL (electric) uncouplers? Do you use any handheld
                tool?
                > In particular, for Magne-matic couplers any suggestion about how to
                better perform uncoupling activities without partially removing one
                side of a car form the track? I mean uncoupling possibly just
                touching the couplers as I presume a "bamboo skewer" should do.....

                > Thanks in advance,
                >
                > Alex

                Alex, in my case I use Magnematic Z scale decouplers, as I'm MT/KD
                coupler equipped. I have difficulties with several cars to uncouple
                them, it must be the result of a bad adjusting of the trip pin. To
                solve this problem that must not be uncommon, I have heard that some
                modellers use N scale Magnematic uncouplers.....
                Cheers
                Dominique from Paris, France