Re: [z_scale] Serious question

  • The President
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
      Jeremy,

      I could say "anything" but German and Swiss railroads.

      In particular more choice in US diesels and possibly some Italian models (electric locos era III-IV)

      Alex
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
        Please ask them when they will try to put digital control into Z-scale
        again.
      • The President
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
          Why "again"?

          Have I missed anything?

          I agree anyway.

          Alex
          Please ask them when they will try to put digital control into Z-scale
          again.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ron Rygielski
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
            Marklin announced digital Z as a product in a catalog in the late 80s, but
            apparently could not get it to work.

            > Please ask them when they will try to put digital control into Z-scale
            > again.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • The President
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
              Oh.. ok.... only announced...

              Thanks,

              Alex
              Marklin announced digital Z as a product in a catalog in the late 80s, but
              apparently could not get it to work.

              > Please ask them when they will try to put digital control into Z-scale
              > again.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Randy Smidt
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
                Rob Kluz wrote:
                "I personally would like to see in Z everything Märklin offers in HO. Is
                this
                too much to ask?"

                I totally agree Rob! I would be happy to see half or even a quarter of
                what they offer in HO made in Z. Also, redesign the track with 2002
                technology instead of this 1972 stuff we have now.

                Randy Smidt
              • ddechamp71
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                  --- In z_scale@y..., "jeremypbrandon" <Jeremy.Brandon@t...> wrote:
                  > Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from Märklin about
                  > how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what
                  would
                  > you say to Märklin?
                  >
                  > We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!
                  >
                  > Post your dreams! Jeremy

                  My hope? I would like to see prototypically shaped north american
                  rolling stock, and heavy steam power (as we can see only light Mikes
                  from Marklin and light Moguls from MT), for example the wonderful
                  Big Boy released in HO.
                • Greg Elmassian
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                    DITTO!

                    by the way, where is this info going? is this another poll?
                    (just left over energy from the poll discussion)....

                    Greg

                    > Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from Märklin about
                    > how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what
                    would
                    > you say to Märklin?
                    >
                    > We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!
                    >
                    > Post your dreams! Jeremy

                    My hope? I would like to see prototypically shaped north american
                    rolling stock, and heavy steam power (as we can see only light Mikes
                    from Marklin and light Moguls from MT), for example the wonderful
                    Big Boy released in HO.
                  • Edward Scullin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                      I agree wholeheartedly with ddechamps desire for "REALISTIC" US
                      steam. I also wish that Marklin would do something about their
                      couplers. Make them easier to change to MT/KDs or offer the option
                      of buying units already equipped (especially the US rolling stock) I
                      know that the majority of their market is European prototypes, but
                      they must want to tap into the US market or else they wouln't offer
                      US toy trains (thats what I think they are, they are not scale or
                      protypical. Maybe they could offer Russian prototypes, we sure gave
                      them a bunch of heavy steam during the second world war, and they use
                      couplers very simular to the US standard.
                      Ed Scullin

                      --- ddechamp71 <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                      > --- In z_scale@y..., "jeremypbrandon" <Jeremy.Brandon@t...> wrote:
                      > > Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from M�rklin
                      > about
                      > > how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what
                      > would
                      > > you say to M�rklin?
                      > >
                      > > We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!
                      > >
                      > > Post your dreams! Jeremy
                      >
                      > My hope? I would like to see prototypically shaped north american
                      > rolling stock, and heavy steam power (as we can see only light
                      > Mikes
                      > from Marklin and light Moguls from MT), for example the wonderful
                      > Big Boy released in HO.

                      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                    • Reynard Wellman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                        Hello Ed,

                        So you read that article on Bachman's HO scale US "Russians" as well. I've
                        been thinking about purchasing Marklin's 88833 French State R.R. loco
                        (because it is a decapod with black wheels mostly) and making a photo etched
                        replacement for the body and tender for myself. That way I would build and
                        own the only Z scale US "Russian" decapod in the world. And I'd do a great
                        job. It would be rarer than that inverted Curtis Jenny on the first US
                        airmail stamps. Sell it for million on ebay ;-)

                        I've given up on couplers. I don't have the time to tear up all of my
                        Marklin locos (unless I'm kit bashing it, like above) just to fix this
                        nuisance. Z scale is not for the railroad purist of prototype modeling.
                        Heck, half the time no one seems to care if Z scale buildings and rolling
                        stock are to scale or even consistent in style, quality, era or country. So
                        why worry about the couplers?

                        Nice hearing from you again
                        and best regards,

                        Reynard

                      • Bahls@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                          Edward Scullin schrieb:
                          Maybe they could offer Russian prototypes, we sure gave
                          > them a bunch of heavy steam during the second world war, and they use
                          > couplers very simular to the US standard.
                          > Ed Scullin

                          Ed,
                          it was WWI, when the US first delivered about 1000 of decapods for Russia; some
                          of them didn't even make it to Russia and remained in the USA(e.g. ACL, Erie,
                          Seabord Air Line, SLSF to name some noteworthy routes), and some are preserved
                          in the USA. You seem to refer to the same class which had been built by Alco and
                          Baldwin (1944 - 47) in 2117 units (delivered 2051) and has been improved in some
                          "details" compared to the WWI units.

                          But you know M*****, don't you? They would use the BR50 chassis for everything
                          with a wheel arrangement of X-10-X, but the wheelbase would not come out
                          prototypically, as the big model flanges take their toll.

                          The ONLY advantage I would see in this is that the M**** - wheels with 6mm
                          diameter would exactly match the prototype (1320mm)for once.

                          Cheers,

                          Michael

                          your steamlocospeZialist
                        • Edward Scullin
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                            Reynard. Surely you are not that big of a SOB :-} that you would go
                            to the trouble of doing the work to get a Russian and then not make
                            it availible to the rest of us yokels. I wouldn't mind if you had
                            the only one for a year, but if you do do it please put me on the
                            list for at least 2 maybe more.
                            What you might do would be to design it so that some things could be
                            left off for the rest of us, and you would have the best one.
                            Glad to hear from you again. I will not be able to go to teh 2002
                            show in FL as I will be overseas at the time.
                            Ed Scullin

                            --- Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                            > Hello Ed,
                            >
                            > So you read that article on Bachman's HO scale US "Russians" as
                            > well. I've
                            > been thinking about purchasing Marklin's 88833 French State R.R.
                            > loco
                            > (because it is a decapod with black wheels mostly) and making a
                            > photo etched
                            > replacement for the body and tender for myself. That way I would
                            > build and
                            > own the only Z scale US "Russian" decapod in the world. And I'd do
                            > a great
                            > job. It would be rarer than that inverted Curtis Jenny on the first
                            > US
                            > airmail stamps. Sell it for million on ebay ;-)
                            >
                            > I've given up on couplers. I don't have the time to tear up all of
                            > my
                            > Marklin locos (unless I'm kit bashing it, like above) just to fix
                            > this
                            > nuisance. Z scale is not for the railroad purist of prototype
                            > modeling.
                            > Heck, half the time no one seems to care if Z scale buildings and
                            > rolling
                            > stock are to scale or even consistent in style, quality, era or
                            > country. So
                            > why worry about the couplers?
                            >
                            > Nice hearing from you again
                            > and best regards,
                            >
                            > Reynard

                            http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                          • ddechamp71
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 1, 2002
                              Z scale is not for the railroad purist of prototype modeling.
                              > Heck, half the time no one seems to care if Z scale buildings and
                              rolling
                              > stock are to scale or even consistent in style, quality, era or
                              country. So
                              > why worry about the couplers?
                              >
                              > Nice hearing from you again
                              > and best regards,
                              >
                              > Reynard

                              Reynard, I don't agree at all with you. I think that Micro-Trains,
                              Harald Freudenreich of FR models, Halwa and American-Z Lines have a
                              very different approach: they all release prototypical products,
                              rolling stock, locomotives (even if the MT F7 is a little "light"
                              about details, it is a very good base for kitbashing and detailing),
                              track, turnouts, etc....Yourself know that Z scale is not against
                              precision with your very nice structures....I have a lot of respect
                              for Marklin but, as I'm turned to north american (model)railroading I
                              must admit that if we had have only the choice of their products, I
                              would never have had entered Z scale....
                              Cheers
                              Dominique
                            • Reynard Wellman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 1, 2002
                                Hello Dominique,

                                Actually you are right. And with the new Halwa and Aspen model turnouts
                                in code 40, I really have nothing to complain about. Yes, Harald
                                Freudenreich's work is outstanding, accurate and to scale. And so are
                                American Z lines locomotives.

                                However, if any of this helps to raise awareness of these issues and to
                                drive demand for good accurate models then I am not apologizing for what
                                I have said in this forum. Too many times I have come up against a wall
                                of limitations in design that take hard work to overcome. Designing for
                                Z scale is especially challenging and there are some things that I would
                                like to do that are going to require a whole new level of tooling and
                                technology.

                                Hans Riddervold, Harald Freudenreich, M. Halwa, Chris Miller, Randy
                                Pepprock, etc. are all real leaders in this pursuit of excellence and we
                                American prototype Z scale modelers should support them wherever we
                                can.

                                Sincerely,
                                Reynard

                              • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 1, 2002
                                  I'd like to see the more unusual track-going vehicles...like speeders and
                                  doodlebugs and galloping geese.....

                                  And of course any US locomotive. Preferably steam and a couple good diesel
                                  switchers.

                                  My dream loco in Z would be a 4-8-8-2 CabForward. Digital, with sound.

                                  jeremypbrandon
                                  <Jeremy.Brandon@t- To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                  online.de> cc:
                                  03/30/2002 04:41
                                  AM
                                  Please respond to
                                  z_scale

                                  Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from Märklin about
                                  how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what would
                                  you say to Märklin?

                                  We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!

                                  Post your dreams! Jeremy

                                • M. Gottschalch
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 2, 2002
                                    ted_lamar@... wrote:

                                    > My dream loco in Z would be a 4-8-8-2 CabForward. Digital, with sound.

                                    I'll take one of those also.
                                    --
                                    Manfred
                                  • ddechamp71
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 3, 2002
                                      --- In z_scale@y..., "M. Gottschalch" <megott@u...> wrote:
                                      > ted_lamar@p... wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > My dream loco in Z would be a 4-8-8-2 CabForward. Digital, with
                                      sound.

                                      > I'll take one of those also.
                                      > --
                                      > Manfred