Serious question

  • jeremypbrandon
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
      Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from Märklin about
      how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what would
      you say to Märklin?

      We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!

      Post your dreams! Jeremy
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
        Jeremy,

        I personally would like to see in Z everything Märklin offers in HO. Is this
        too much to ask?

        Actually, my modeling styles have changed and I am really trying a more
        realistic approach to my layout. I really like the more simple European style
        rolling stock over the multitude of advertising cars. In a yard filled with
        the red/brown hoppers and boxcars, a few brightly colored advertising cars
        really stand out. This contrast adds much to my layout.

        I do not run duplicates on my layout. All cars have a unique number (via
        Märklin). This does limit train sizes, but adds interest with the variety of
        stock and variants. I am not one to weather my equipment, but I would love
        to see more of the Märklin weathered rolling stock enter the Z line. I love
        some of their weathered stock in HO, especially the work they do with the
        boxcars (the new HO weathered Swiss set is exceptional). Frankly, having more
        boxcars is a variety of standard liveries would be great.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
      • The President
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
          Jeremy,

          I could say "anything" but German and Swiss railroads.

          In particular more choice in US diesels and possibly some Italian models (electric locos era III-IV)

          Alex

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
            Please ask them when they will try to put digital control into Z-scale
            again.
          • The President
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
              Why "again"?

              Have I missed anything?

              I agree anyway.

              Alex
              Please ask them when they will try to put digital control into Z-scale
              again.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Ron Rygielski
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
                Marklin announced digital Z as a product in a catalog in the late 80s, but
                apparently could not get it to work.

                > Please ask them when they will try to put digital control into Z-scale
                > again.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • The President
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
                  Oh.. ok.... only announced...

                  Thanks,

                  Alex
                  Marklin announced digital Z as a product in a catalog in the late 80s, but
                  apparently could not get it to work.

                  > Please ask them when they will try to put digital control into Z-scale
                  > again.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Randy Smidt
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 30, 2002
                    Rob Kluz wrote:
                    "I personally would like to see in Z everything Märklin offers in HO. Is
                    this
                    too much to ask?"

                    I totally agree Rob! I would be happy to see half or even a quarter of
                    what they offer in HO made in Z. Also, redesign the track with 2002
                    technology instead of this 1972 stuff we have now.

                    Randy Smidt
                  • ddechamp71
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                      --- In z_scale@y..., "jeremypbrandon" <Jeremy.Brandon@t...> wrote:
                      > Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from Märklin about
                      > how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what
                      would
                      > you say to Märklin?
                      >
                      > We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!
                      >
                      > Post your dreams! Jeremy

                      My hope? I would like to see prototypically shaped north american
                      rolling stock, and heavy steam power (as we can see only light Mikes
                      from Marklin and light Moguls from MT), for example the wonderful
                      Big Boy released in HO.
                    • Greg Elmassian
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                        DITTO!

                        by the way, where is this info going? is this another poll?
                        (just left over energy from the poll discussion)....

                        Greg

                        > Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from Märklin about
                        > how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what
                        would
                        > you say to Märklin?
                        >
                        > We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!
                        >
                        > Post your dreams! Jeremy

                        My hope? I would like to see prototypically shaped north american
                        rolling stock, and heavy steam power (as we can see only light Mikes
                        from Marklin and light Moguls from MT), for example the wonderful
                        Big Boy released in HO.
                      • Edward Scullin
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                          I agree wholeheartedly with ddechamps desire for "REALISTIC" US
                          steam. I also wish that Marklin would do something about their
                          couplers. Make them easier to change to MT/KDs or offer the option
                          of buying units already equipped (especially the US rolling stock) I
                          know that the majority of their market is European prototypes, but
                          they must want to tap into the US market or else they wouln't offer
                          US toy trains (thats what I think they are, they are not scale or
                          protypical. Maybe they could offer Russian prototypes, we sure gave
                          them a bunch of heavy steam during the second world war, and they use
                          couplers very simular to the US standard.
                          Ed Scullin

                          --- ddechamp71 <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                          > --- In z_scale@y..., "jeremypbrandon" <Jeremy.Brandon@t...> wrote:
                          > > Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from M�rklin
                          > about
                          > > how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what
                          > would
                          > > you say to M�rklin?
                          > >
                          > > We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!
                          > >
                          > > Post your dreams! Jeremy
                          >
                          > My hope? I would like to see prototypically shaped north american
                          > rolling stock, and heavy steam power (as we can see only light
                          > Mikes
                          > from Marklin and light Moguls from MT), for example the wonderful
                          > Big Boy released in HO.

                          http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                        • Reynard Wellman
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                            Hello Ed,

                            So you read that article on Bachman's HO scale US "Russians" as well. I've
                            been thinking about purchasing Marklin's 88833 French State R.R. loco
                            (because it is a decapod with black wheels mostly) and making a photo etched
                            replacement for the body and tender for myself. That way I would build and
                            own the only Z scale US "Russian" decapod in the world. And I'd do a great
                            job. It would be rarer than that inverted Curtis Jenny on the first US
                            airmail stamps. Sell it for million on ebay ;-)

                            I've given up on couplers. I don't have the time to tear up all of my
                            Marklin locos (unless I'm kit bashing it, like above) just to fix this
                            nuisance. Z scale is not for the railroad purist of prototype modeling.
                            Heck, half the time no one seems to care if Z scale buildings and rolling
                            stock are to scale or even consistent in style, quality, era or country. So
                            why worry about the couplers?

                            Nice hearing from you again
                            and best regards,

                            Reynard

                          • Bahls@t-online.de
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                              Edward Scullin schrieb:
                              Maybe they could offer Russian prototypes, we sure gave
                              > them a bunch of heavy steam during the second world war, and they use
                              > couplers very simular to the US standard.
                              > Ed Scullin

                              Ed,
                              it was WWI, when the US first delivered about 1000 of decapods for Russia; some
                              of them didn't even make it to Russia and remained in the USA(e.g. ACL, Erie,
                              Seabord Air Line, SLSF to name some noteworthy routes), and some are preserved
                              in the USA. You seem to refer to the same class which had been built by Alco and
                              Baldwin (1944 - 47) in 2117 units (delivered 2051) and has been improved in some
                              "details" compared to the WWI units.

                              But you know M*****, don't you? They would use the BR50 chassis for everything
                              with a wheel arrangement of X-10-X, but the wheelbase would not come out
                              prototypically, as the big model flanges take their toll.

                              The ONLY advantage I would see in this is that the M**** - wheels with 6mm
                              diameter would exactly match the prototype (1320mm)for once.

                              Cheers,

                              Michael

                              your steamlocospeZialist
                            • Edward Scullin
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 31, 2002
                                Reynard. Surely you are not that big of a SOB :-} that you would go
                                to the trouble of doing the work to get a Russian and then not make
                                it availible to the rest of us yokels. I wouldn't mind if you had
                                the only one for a year, but if you do do it please put me on the
                                list for at least 2 maybe more.
                                What you might do would be to design it so that some things could be
                                left off for the rest of us, and you would have the best one.
                                Glad to hear from you again. I will not be able to go to teh 2002
                                show in FL as I will be overseas at the time.
                                Ed Scullin

                                --- Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                                > Hello Ed,
                                >
                                > So you read that article on Bachman's HO scale US "Russians" as
                                > well. I've
                                > been thinking about purchasing Marklin's 88833 French State R.R.
                                > loco
                                > (because it is a decapod with black wheels mostly) and making a
                                > photo etched
                                > replacement for the body and tender for myself. That way I would
                                > build and
                                > own the only Z scale US "Russian" decapod in the world. And I'd do
                                > a great
                                > job. It would be rarer than that inverted Curtis Jenny on the first
                                > US
                                > airmail stamps. Sell it for million on ebay ;-)
                                >
                                > I've given up on couplers. I don't have the time to tear up all of
                                > my
                                > Marklin locos (unless I'm kit bashing it, like above) just to fix
                                > this
                                > nuisance. Z scale is not for the railroad purist of prototype
                                > modeling.
                                > Heck, half the time no one seems to care if Z scale buildings and
                                > rolling
                                > stock are to scale or even consistent in style, quality, era or
                                > country. So
                                > why worry about the couplers?
                                >
                                > Nice hearing from you again
                                > and best regards,
                                >
                                > Reynard

                                http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                              • ddechamp71
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 1, 2002
                                  Z scale is not for the railroad purist of prototype modeling.
                                  > Heck, half the time no one seems to care if Z scale buildings and
                                  rolling
                                  > stock are to scale or even consistent in style, quality, era or
                                  country. So
                                  > why worry about the couplers?
                                  >
                                  > Nice hearing from you again
                                  > and best regards,
                                  >
                                  > Reynard

                                  Reynard, I don't agree at all with you. I think that Micro-Trains,
                                  Harald Freudenreich of FR models, Halwa and American-Z Lines have a
                                  very different approach: they all release prototypical products,
                                  rolling stock, locomotives (even if the MT F7 is a little "light"
                                  about details, it is a very good base for kitbashing and detailing),
                                  track, turnouts, etc....Yourself know that Z scale is not against
                                  precision with your very nice structures....I have a lot of respect
                                  for Marklin but, as I'm turned to north american (model)railroading I
                                  must admit that if we had have only the choice of their products, I
                                  would never have had entered Z scale....
                                  Cheers
                                  Dominique
                                • Reynard Wellman
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 1, 2002
                                    Hello Dominique,

                                    Actually you are right. And with the new Halwa and Aspen model turnouts
                                    in code 40, I really have nothing to complain about. Yes, Harald
                                    Freudenreich's work is outstanding, accurate and to scale. And so are
                                    American Z lines locomotives.

                                    However, if any of this helps to raise awareness of these issues and to
                                    drive demand for good accurate models then I am not apologizing for what
                                    I have said in this forum. Too many times I have come up against a wall
                                    of limitations in design that take hard work to overcome. Designing for
                                    Z scale is especially challenging and there are some things that I would
                                    like to do that are going to require a whole new level of tooling and
                                    technology.

                                    Hans Riddervold, Harald Freudenreich, M. Halwa, Chris Miller, Randy
                                    Pepprock, etc. are all real leaders in this pursuit of excellence and we
                                    American prototype Z scale modelers should support them wherever we
                                    can.

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Reynard

                                  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 1, 2002
                                      I'd like to see the more unusual track-going vehicles...like speeders and
                                      doodlebugs and galloping geese.....

                                      And of course any US locomotive. Preferably steam and a couple good diesel
                                      switchers.

                                      My dream loco in Z would be a 4-8-8-2 CabForward. Digital, with sound.

                                      jeremypbrandon
                                      <Jeremy.Brandon@t- To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                      online.de> cc:
                                      03/30/2002 04:41
                                      AM
                                      Please respond to
                                      z_scale

                                      Sometimes there is the chance to talk to people from Märklin about
                                      how Mini-Club should be developed. If you had that chance, what would
                                      you say to Märklin?

                                      We should compile a wish/suggestions list so we are prepared!

                                      Post your dreams! Jeremy

                                    • M. Gottschalch
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 2, 2002
                                        ted_lamar@... wrote:

                                        > My dream loco in Z would be a 4-8-8-2 CabForward. Digital, with sound.

                                        I'll take one of those also.
                                        --
                                        Manfred
                                      • ddechamp71
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 3, 2002
                                          --- In z_scale@y..., "M. Gottschalch" <megott@u...> wrote:
                                          > ted_lamar@p... wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > My dream loco in Z would be a 4-8-8-2 CabForward. Digital, with
                                          sound.

                                          > I'll take one of those also.
                                          > --
                                          > Manfred