Re: Marklin 2-10-0

  • dpstripe
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2002
      Michael,
      Thanks for the information. I figured that that would be the
      direction that I would have to go. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to
      ask. My first thought was to add an "undriven" set of wheels on the
      back of a Mikado and just make new push rods. But, as you know, there
      isn't enough room to put the axle through without trashing the motor.
      Thanks again for the information. Looks like I'll be making a decapod
      junior.
      Dan
      --- In z_scale@y..., Bahls@t... wrote:
      > Hello Dan,
      >
      > your question is not that bizarre!
      >
      > Indeed all the 2-10-0s and the 2-10-2 tank loco use the same
      chassis. If you
      > want to build a PRR L1 or L1s, you will have to face some
      compromises as the
      > wheel diameter. The Z 52's wheel diameter is 6 mm; whilst your L1
      has 62", which
      > makes 7,16 mm. The next bigger Z wheel diameter from the 24 or 41
      would be far
      > better suited, as it has 7 mm - but it does not fit into the
      chassis due to
      > several reasons.
      > As well it would lead to nothing "lengthening" a 24 or 41 chassis,
      because your
      > L1 has 22'8" wheelbase, which is 31,3 mm in Z scale. The 41
      wheelbase,
      > lengthened to five axles would come out at 37 mm.
      >
      > I think a fine solution would be to "shrink" the loco shell (which
      you will want
      > to build yourself) to match the overall proportions.
      >
      > Hope that helps. I wish you success!
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Michael
      >
      > the steamlocospeZialist
      >

      > dpstripe schrieb:
      > > This is sort of a bizarre question. It goes out to anyone with
      > > knowledge of Marklin's 88836 DRG class 52. Is that the same 2-10-
      0
      > > chassis (drive components, etc) that is used on for the 81360
      > > snowplow set? I am thinking of modeling a PRR Decapod (2-10-0),
      but
      > > it would be easier to steal the drive mechanism from another
      loco. I
      > > would need a loco about as long as a Mikado, so the one from the
      > > snowplow set is much too small. I doubt that Marklin would make
      many
      > > different class 2-10-0s, so right now, it's just a dream. Thanks.
      > > Dan
    • jfaust_42
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2013
        I'm testing a recently-purchased Marklin 2-10-0 (with tender), #88121. It's been giving some trouble in operation, so I oiled the gears a bit, checked for debris in the drivetrain (none found), and put power to it.

        Based on experience with my N scale locomotives, I would have expected a current draw of maybe 200mA or so. At 6 volts, I was measuring more like 400mA. Is that a reasonable current draw for a loco like this?

        Thanks.

        --Jeff
      • BAZ
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2013
          That's too high, but I've seen it several times before. If it is not binding, then the brushes may be worn too far or misaligned (there is a sweet spot and its not easy to change). Or, the commutator is full of crud.

          You need to get the motor out of the chassis, generally easy to do.

          Jeff

          Sent 'from the road'