Re: report

  • sutfin
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2000
      Ole,

      BRAVO!

      Great report. You have now experienced what a relaxing, quiet Sunday
      afternoon is like in the life of a Z scale modeler. Just thinking about
      your report gets me laughing all over again, NOT at your mishaps, but
      with you because I've been through the same routine. Many times over.
      Some of us are just slooooowww learners. I would guess we have all had
      the same experience trying to replace coupler springs, engine wheel
      sets, etc. It's just that the rest of us weren't brave enough to tell
      the rest of the world about it. My hat's off to you!

      Terry Sutfin
    • Kari Tanskanen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2000
        > I would guess we have all had
        > the same experience trying to replace coupler springs, engine wheel
        > sets, etc. It's just that the rest of us weren't brave enough to tell
        > the rest of the world about it. My hat's off to you!

        I've never seen a Microtrains coupling, but I have disassembled loco
        trucks for cleaning, and have not yet learnt how to put those
        coupling strings back. Can you suggest a trick? (Those springs do not
        seem to be absolutely necessary, though sometimes I need to use the
        Giant Magic Finger while coupling.)

        ==============================================================================Kari
        Tanskanen ktanskan@...
        http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
      • Ed Scullin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2000
          OLe and the list. A friend of mine made me a special apron for when I
          work on small stuff. It it slighty over sized, width and length, and
          has velcro on the bottom of the apron. Put the apron on, lift the
          bottom up and attach the velcro on the bottom to the opposite velcro on
          your work bench. That way if you drop something, it goes into the
          pocket formed by the apron rather than the floor. If you are working at
          the kitchen table, and the wife won't let you put velcro on the table, I
          guess you could use tape temporarily. What ever you do don't use thumb
          tacks on the wife's good furnature. :-}}
          Ed Scullin
        • Jay & Anne Greer
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2000
            Hi Ole,
            I had a good chuckle reading your letter and am glad you haven't lost your
            sense of humor! I plan to change over to MT couplers some time in the future
            when I get up enough courage to tackle the project. The Micro Mark Company
            here advertises a spring holding tool that is designed to help with just
            what you are being frustrated by right now. This is not an expensive tool
            and if you would like one and can't get it there, let me know and I will
            send one to you. The soldering iron is a good thing and well worth waiting
            for. Let me know how the track laying goes. I am going to tackle hand
            laying some soon myself. I think I will have a beer on your behalf.
            Good luck and Z you later
            Jay Greer/Wegmann