Re: report

  • Bim Bousman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2000
      Hello Ole....

      I also put MT couplers on a Marklin 0-6-0 yesterday. Mine is a 8805.
      The problem that I had is different than yours... I had bought the
      couplers from another modeller who did not want them... and somehow the
      other modeller had substituted trip pins from "N" couplers into my "Z"
      envelope.

      Needless to say, I destroyed the couplers before I compared the pieces
      with a MT Boxcar that I have and saw that the pins were completely
      wrong.

      In another envelope I had couplers that had not been tampered with, and
      the only problem that I had with them was that the spring would not lie
      down as I wanted it to.

      I also replaced one of the couplers on an old Marklin tank car, so now I
      can pull MT cars with the 8805 and I can also pull Marklin cars with my
      8803 which still has the original Marklin couplers.

      BB
      Ole Rosted wrote:

      > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
      >
      > Hi group,
      >
      > I have two projects running.
      > #1. Handlaying code 40 rail and
      > #2. mounting MT couplers on my trains instead of the current Marklin
      > couplers.
      > At several occasions I have been asked to report my progress.
      >
      > Well here goes.
      >
      > Project #1 is postponed while I'm waiting for a digitally controlled
      > soldering iron to arrive, but I spent the whole sunday working on
      > project #2.
      >
      > After putting my optical headgear on I began assembling my first 902
      > MT coupler.
      > The first thing to happen was loosing two trip pins :-(
      > Well - I don't think they are lost in the true meaning of the word.
      > They are just deposited in my floor carpet someplace.
      >
      > My 8800 was secured buttom up in my new precision vice, and the bottom
      > plate (which I - at an earlier occasion - have sworn never to remove
      > again) was removed, the Marklin couplers were thrown away and the MT
      > couplers were mounted on the center pins.
      > With my new precission titannium tweezers I then put a spring in the
      > aft coupler pocket. Easing the tweezers out from behind the spring
      > lifted the end of the spring so much that it took off to join the two
      > trip pins in the carpet.
      >
      > I'm glad now, that I followed Bill Kronenbergers advice of buying
      > extra springs, and a few hours later another spring was in place
      > behind the coupler.
      > The bottom plate was put on.
      >
      > But: the coupler didn't seem to center freely.
      >
      > In order to inspect/adjust the spring position I removed the bottom
      > plate again. Unfortunately I dropped it. It fell down hitting the
      > wheels who immediately were pushed out of their bushings by the
      > scratch and pray blades.
      >
      > I don't want to bore you with the full story of my efforts to get the
      > wheels back in their right position, but I will just mention that it
      > took longer than I had expected, mostly because I lost a cog wheel in
      > my carpet, and had to sweep over it with a magnetic screwdriver for an
      > hour or so before I found the wheel.
      >
      > As of now the wheels are in place. The bottom plate is mounted. And my
      > 8800 has no couplers.
      >
      > - - -
      > Another day gone.
      > I will go meassure my blood pressure, drink a beer and go to bed.
      > Tomorrow I will put new couplers in my 8800.
      > I will report my progress - if any.
      >
      > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

      > Want To Be Showered With Kisses?
      > Visit eGroups Valentine Gift Guide

      > CraZy 'bout Zee!
    • sutfin
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2000
        Ole,

        BRAVO!

        Great report. You have now experienced what a relaxing, quiet Sunday
        afternoon is like in the life of a Z scale modeler. Just thinking about
        your report gets me laughing all over again, NOT at your mishaps, but
        with you because I've been through the same routine. Many times over.
        Some of us are just slooooowww learners. I would guess we have all had
        the same experience trying to replace coupler springs, engine wheel
        sets, etc. It's just that the rest of us weren't brave enough to tell
        the rest of the world about it. My hat's off to you!

        Terry Sutfin
      • Kari Tanskanen
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2000
          > I would guess we have all had
          > the same experience trying to replace coupler springs, engine wheel
          > sets, etc. It's just that the rest of us weren't brave enough to tell
          > the rest of the world about it. My hat's off to you!

          I've never seen a Microtrains coupling, but I have disassembled loco
          trucks for cleaning, and have not yet learnt how to put those
          coupling strings back. Can you suggest a trick? (Those springs do not
          seem to be absolutely necessary, though sometimes I need to use the
          Giant Magic Finger while coupling.)

          ==============================================================================Kari
          Tanskanen ktanskan@...
          http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
        • Ed Scullin
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2000
            OLe and the list. A friend of mine made me a special apron for when I
            work on small stuff. It it slighty over sized, width and length, and
            has velcro on the bottom of the apron. Put the apron on, lift the
            bottom up and attach the velcro on the bottom to the opposite velcro on
            your work bench. That way if you drop something, it goes into the
            pocket formed by the apron rather than the floor. If you are working at
            the kitchen table, and the wife won't let you put velcro on the table, I
            guess you could use tape temporarily. What ever you do don't use thumb
            tacks on the wife's good furnature. :-}}
            Ed Scullin
          • Jay & Anne Greer
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2000
              Hi Ole,
              I had a good chuckle reading your letter and am glad you haven't lost your
              sense of humor! I plan to change over to MT couplers some time in the future
              when I get up enough courage to tackle the project. The Micro Mark Company
              here advertises a spring holding tool that is designed to help with just
              what you are being frustrated by right now. This is not an expensive tool
              and if you would like one and can't get it there, let me know and I will
              send one to you. The soldering iron is a good thing and well worth waiting
              for. Let me know how the track laying goes. I am going to tackle hand
              laying some soon myself. I think I will have a beer on your behalf.
              Good luck and Z you later
              Jay Greer/Wegmann