Re: handlaying track - jig??

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2000
      Ole,

      I went to Mark Fielder's Nn3 web site and saw what you were speaking
      about. It is a very elaborate tie & rail jig. For the moment it is not
      needed.

      I understand your idea, but you must first decide what spacing you want
      between the PC ties and the wooden ties. If you just do it randomly,
      you will not achieve the symmetrical look that the prototype track has.

      You should place some masking tape, sticky side up, on a flat surface
      and put down some wooden and PC ties, spacing them so that they look
      right for you. No need to measure the distance between them accurately
      but be certain that they approximate the prototype distance and that
      they look right to you. The ties are oversize anyway so measuring will
      not help. You are striving for a reasonable "look".

      Put some rail on top of these and eyeball them to see if they look
      "real". Once you are satisfied with the look of the spacing, mark your
      work table with the location of the PC ties. Now you can solder the
      ties to your rail at the marks made on your wife's kitchen table and
      have proper spacing for the wooden ties to fit between the PC ties
      without looking too irregular.

      After laying a few feet of track by hand, trying to keep the ties
      perpendicular to the rail, you will fashion a small pattern with what
      ever material that you have on hand (cardboard, styrene, wood, dried
      noodles) and make a jig of some sorts. And after a while you will make
      a jig for the wooden ties also because lining these up by eye will
      become laborious.

      After building several miles of track you will discard the jigs and go
      back to "eyeballing" because your eye sight would have become sensitive
      to the spacing and you will no longer need a jig.

      OR, sometime in the future we will see a notice on this list that you
      are offering a Z scale tie jig for sale to help others do what you did.
      :o))

      Ole, I hope that I haven't offended you by my remarks. Sometimes I
      just go too far with my off hand statements and I do not have the time
      to edit them out. The hands type before the brain reacts. (Most times
      the brain never reacts)

      I called most of the popular model train shops nearby (within 35 miles)
      and no one had any code 40 rail. I then called the Original Whistle
      Stop in Pasadena and they had some on hand. It is a one way trip of
      about 70 miles but the Original Whistle Stop is one of the Southern
      California train shops that must be visited at least once a year. If
      you think that Z scale is expensive, look at the brass O scale
      locomotives. I pay less for my automobiles and my automobiles have
      air-conditioning.

      By the way, Mark Fielder's web site at:

      http://www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk

      is a gold mine of information.

      Using the web for gaining information is so great. The education about
      model railroading that I got from reading the web would be equivalent of
      100 years of subscriptions to magazines. I do not limit my self to Z
      web sites. Mark Fielder's web pages is about Nn3 but Nn3 uses Z scale
      track. The mechanisms used to power Nn3 locomotives should inspire some
      in Z to scratch build Z locomotives,s.

      The problem with the web is that you can spend too much time on it and
      never get to running trains.

      Way over my allotted time.

      Bill

      Ole Rosted wrote:

      > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
      >
      > deleted
    • Bim Bousman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2000
        One of the best ways to decide how to do it is to do it. Make a little
        bit one way, and then try a little bit another way, and soon you will
        decide which you like best.

        Several of the best, most experienced modellers on this list and the Nn3
        list have completely different approaches. All of them must work.

        For me, using lots of soldered PC ties works best because that way I can
        control the gauge closely. If I was better at pre-bending the track,
        maybe I would use less.

        BB