Re: handlaying track - jig??

  • BJKRONEN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2000
      Ole:

      > BTW I saw in a danish HO periodical a rail-cutter named Xuron
      > mentioned.
      > Is this the tool that was recommended here some time ago?
      > I didn't pay much notice to it then, as I thought handlaying tracks
      > was well beyond my horizon. And here I am. Was Xuron the name
      > mentioned?

      The Xuron cutter is the best $10usd you will ever spend. It works great !!
      But do NOT use the tool for cutting wires, plastic and other miscellaneous
      jobs. Save it ONLY for track cutting. The blades are cut at a strange angle
      that is perfect for track, but dulls quickly when used for "odd jobs" around
      the layout.

      My perceptions is the tool cuts best from top to bottom, although a
      side-to-side cut is still very clean. I've never had to file the ends of the
      rail, ever.

      Regards,
      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston
    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2000
        Ole,

        I went to Mark Fielder's Nn3 web site and saw what you were speaking
        about. It is a very elaborate tie & rail jig. For the moment it is not
        needed.

        I understand your idea, but you must first decide what spacing you want
        between the PC ties and the wooden ties. If you just do it randomly,
        you will not achieve the symmetrical look that the prototype track has.

        You should place some masking tape, sticky side up, on a flat surface
        and put down some wooden and PC ties, spacing them so that they look
        right for you. No need to measure the distance between them accurately
        but be certain that they approximate the prototype distance and that
        they look right to you. The ties are oversize anyway so measuring will
        not help. You are striving for a reasonable "look".

        Put some rail on top of these and eyeball them to see if they look
        "real". Once you are satisfied with the look of the spacing, mark your
        work table with the location of the PC ties. Now you can solder the
        ties to your rail at the marks made on your wife's kitchen table and
        have proper spacing for the wooden ties to fit between the PC ties
        without looking too irregular.

        After laying a few feet of track by hand, trying to keep the ties
        perpendicular to the rail, you will fashion a small pattern with what
        ever material that you have on hand (cardboard, styrene, wood, dried
        noodles) and make a jig of some sorts. And after a while you will make
        a jig for the wooden ties also because lining these up by eye will
        become laborious.

        After building several miles of track you will discard the jigs and go
        back to "eyeballing" because your eye sight would have become sensitive
        to the spacing and you will no longer need a jig.

        OR, sometime in the future we will see a notice on this list that you
        are offering a Z scale tie jig for sale to help others do what you did.
        :o))

        Ole, I hope that I haven't offended you by my remarks. Sometimes I
        just go too far with my off hand statements and I do not have the time
        to edit them out. The hands type before the brain reacts. (Most times
        the brain never reacts)

        I called most of the popular model train shops nearby (within 35 miles)
        and no one had any code 40 rail. I then called the Original Whistle
        Stop in Pasadena and they had some on hand. It is a one way trip of
        about 70 miles but the Original Whistle Stop is one of the Southern
        California train shops that must be visited at least once a year. If
        you think that Z scale is expensive, look at the brass O scale
        locomotives. I pay less for my automobiles and my automobiles have
        air-conditioning.

        By the way, Mark Fielder's web site at:

        http://www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk

        is a gold mine of information.

        Using the web for gaining information is so great. The education about
        model railroading that I got from reading the web would be equivalent of
        100 years of subscriptions to magazines. I do not limit my self to Z
        web sites. Mark Fielder's web pages is about Nn3 but Nn3 uses Z scale
        track. The mechanisms used to power Nn3 locomotives should inspire some
        in Z to scratch build Z locomotives,s.

        The problem with the web is that you can spend too much time on it and
        never get to running trains.

        Way over my allotted time.

        Bill

        Ole Rosted wrote:

        > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
        >
        > deleted
      • Bim Bousman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2000
          One of the best ways to decide how to do it is to do it. Make a little
          bit one way, and then try a little bit another way, and soon you will
          decide which you like best.

          Several of the best, most experienced modellers on this list and the Nn3
          list have completely different approaches. All of them must work.

          For me, using lots of soldered PC ties works best because that way I can
          control the gauge closely. If I was better at pre-bending the track,
          maybe I would use less.

          BB