Re: handlaying track - method??

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
      I was going to build with code 55 rail. I would have hand laid all
      track. I still am not certain what to use for ties that are other than
      PC ties.

      This after noon I went to the Train Crossing in Costa Mesa but they did
      not have any code 40 rail. They do carry Micro Trains Z scale. They
      have a selection of F3's and several dozen cars. I bought a SP black
      Overnight Express box car. (I think that's what it's called)

      I called around to other train shops in Orange County but no one stocks
      any code 40 rail. Then I tried The Whistle Stop in Pasadena and they
      had a supply. I'll go this weekend to get some.

      Still no ties. I have some N scale ties so I'll use those for this
      trial.

      My daughter bought a Panasonic camcorder that can also take digital
      still photos on a disc. We will experiment with that and maybe I can
      post some pictures.

      Bill

      Jay & Anne Greer wrote:

      > From: "Jay & Anne Greer" <redwitch1@...>
      >
      > Hi Bill,
      > What brand of track are you using and who is your supplier?
      > I live in Newport Beach and don't think temperature expansion will be a
      > problem. Please keep us all informed as to how your track laying and "Gandy
      > Dancing" progress.
      > Cheers,
      > Jay Greer/Wegmann
      >
      > ----------
      > >From: Bill Hoshiko <Billhko@...>
      > >To: z_scale@onelist.com
      > >Subject: Re: [z_scale] handlaying track - method??
      > >Date: Fri, Feb 4, 2000, 9:49 AM
      > >

      > > From: Bill Hoshiko <Billhko@...>
      > >
      > > I just thought of another thing.
      > >
      > > When I used code 40 about 35 years ago, I was building a layout in my
      > > garage in the San Fernando Valley. The temperature change during a 24
      > > hour period could be as much as 50 degrees. Back in those days it was
      > > the practice to glue the rail to the ties with Pliobond, a contact
      > > cement.
      > >
      > > After I laid about 15 feet of track, including one switch, I quit for
      > > the day. The next day, when I went out to the layout I found a bunch of
      > > twisted rail. It had no resemblance to track. I never knew why this
      > > happened. My code 70 rail that was hand laid with spikes had no problem
      > > like this.
      > >
      > > Last year on the rmr news group I got an answer. With the larger rail,
      > > expansion and contraction due to temperature changes had other
      > > dimensions to expand into. With the Code 40 it could only expand
      > > lengthwise.
      > >
      > > Now I live within 10 miles of the Pacific Ocean and the temperature
      > > variance is not so great. The San Diego Club has their N gauge layout
      > > in the bottom level of a huge museum building where the temperature is
      > > almost constant all year.
      > >
      > > Today I shall go find be some code 40 to experiement with. I will keep
      > > you posted.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > > Ole Rosted wrote:
      > >>
      > >> From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
      > >>
      > >> Hi,
      > >>
      > >> The materials (rail, wood ties, PC ties) for handlaying code 40 track
      > >> have arrived.
      > >>
      > >> Then what? I might just as well do it correctly right from the start
      > >> (I have always had a sick sense of humor)
      > >>
      > >> No - I know ofcourse , that I will not be able to do things right the
      > >> first time, I give it a try, but if those of you, who have experience
      > >> in this, would tell me how they do it, I would be happy.
      > >>
      > >> On http://urbaneagle.com/data/RRturnouts.html they recommend gluing
      > >> the ties to the base before soldering rail to ties.
      > >>
      > >> On www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk they build tracks in some sort of
      > >> jig as a fishbone (one rail soldered to ties) and then solder-in the
      > >> second rail in situ.
      > >>
      > >> Any other ways to do this?
      > >> Ane other links to information?
      > >>
      > >> regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

> [...]
    • Ed Scullin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
        One thing with code 40 track. Save the small scraps. They make great
        flat car loads, in the US, the track came in 21 foot lenghts if I
        remember correctly, and they can also be strewn about the yards like
        every railroad I have ever seen.
        Ed Scullin