Re: handlaying track - method??

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
      I just thought of another thing.

      When I used code 40 about 35 years ago, I was building a layout in my
      garage in the San Fernando Valley. The temperature change during a 24
      hour period could be as much as 50 degrees. Back in those days it was
      the practice to glue the rail to the ties with Pliobond, a contact
      cement.

      After I laid about 15 feet of track, including one switch, I quit for
      the day. The next day, when I went out to the layout I found a bunch of
      twisted rail. It had no resemblance to track. I never knew why this
      happened. My code 70 rail that was hand laid with spikes had no problem
      like this.

      Last year on the rmr news group I got an answer. With the larger rail,
      expansion and contraction due to temperature changes had other
      dimensions to expand into. With the Code 40 it could only expand
      lengthwise.

      Now I live within 10 miles of the Pacific Ocean and the temperature
      variance is not so great. The San Diego Club has their N gauge layout
      in the bottom level of a huge museum building where the temperature is
      almost constant all year.

      Today I shall go find be some code 40 to experiement with. I will keep
      you posted.

      Bill

      Ole Rosted wrote:

      > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > The materials (rail, wood ties, PC ties) for handlaying code 40 track
      > have arrived.
      >
      > Then what? I might just as well do it correctly right from the start
      > (I have always had a sick sense of humor)
      >
      > No - I know ofcourse , that I will not be able to do things right the
      > first time, I give it a try, but if those of you, who have experience
      > in this, would tell me how they do it, I would be happy.
      >
      > On http://urbaneagle.com/data/RRturnouts.html they recommend gluing
      > the ties to the base before soldering rail to ties.
      >
      > On www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk they build tracks in some sort of
      > jig as a fishbone (one rail soldered to ties) and then solder-in the
      > second rail in situ.
      >
      > Any other ways to do this?
      > Ane other links to information?
      >
      > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

      > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
      > Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

      > CraZy 'bout Zee!
    • Jay & Anne Greer
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
        Hi Bill,
        What brand of track are you using and who is your supplier?
        I live in Newport Beach and don't think temperature expansion will be a
        problem. Please keep us all informed as to how your track laying and "Gandy
        Dancing" progress.
        Cheers,
        Jay Greer/Wegmann

        ----------

      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
          I have some Micro Engineering code 40 rail that I will be playing with. If
          you can't find the rail, try their HOn30 track and dump the ties. A good
          source on the East Coast is Train and Troopers in Maine.
          http://www.agate.net/~trainand/index.html

          Z U lAtR
          Jeffrey

        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
            I was going to build with code 55 rail. I would have hand laid all
            track. I still am not certain what to use for ties that are other than
            PC ties.

            This after noon I went to the Train Crossing in Costa Mesa but they did
            not have any code 40 rail. They do carry Micro Trains Z scale. They
            have a selection of F3's and several dozen cars. I bought a SP black
            Overnight Express box car. (I think that's what it's called)

            I called around to other train shops in Orange County but no one stocks
            any code 40 rail. Then I tried The Whistle Stop in Pasadena and they
            had a supply. I'll go this weekend to get some.

            Still no ties. I have some N scale ties so I'll use those for this
            trial.

            My daughter bought a Panasonic camcorder that can also take digital
            still photos on a disc. We will experiment with that and maybe I can
            post some pictures.

            Bill

            Jay & Anne Greer wrote:

> [...]
            > >> in this, would tell me how they do it, I would be happy.
            > >>
            > >> On http://urbaneagle.com/data/RRturnouts.html they recommend gluing
            > >> the ties to the base before soldering rail to ties.
            > >>
            > >> On www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk they build tracks in some sort of
            > >> jig as a fishbone (one rail soldered to ties) and then solder-in the
            > >> second rail in situ.
            > >>
            > >> Any other ways to do this?
            > >> Ane other links to information?
            > >>
            > >> regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
            > >>
            > >> --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ----------------------------
            > >>
            > >> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
            > >> Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

            > >> CraZy 'bout Zee!

            > > Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple. Click Here!

            > > CraZy 'bout Zee!

            > eGroups' Valentine's Day Gift Guide - Shop Here Now:

          • Ed Scullin
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
              One thing with code 40 track. Save the small scraps. They make great
              flat car loads, in the US, the track came in 21 foot lenghts if I
              remember correctly, and they can also be strewn about the yards like
              every railroad I have ever seen.
              Ed Scullin