Warning to sellers...

  • pae94037
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2002
      This is a warning to sellers, especially those offering higher
      priced items for sale on eBay or other private boards. I've just
      found out that my ID and credit card number have been stolen
      and used for at least 3 transactions on eBay and elsewhere.
      Fortunately the seller, who is from the UK, had faxed me for a
      go-ahead to charge my card and confirm the shipping address,
      which was in Sumatra, Indonesia. I don't know how she got my
      name or fax number yet, but after hours of searching the internet
      I was able to pinpoint her location (all I had was a fax number)
      and get her phone number. I called her to warn her not to ship
      the item. That was the first I knew I had a problem, so I was able
      to stop the process within 24 hours and notify all the people who
      needed to know.
      So... be sure to check the ID of yur buyers carefully through more
      than one means of communication. It saved both me and her
      over $1000!