Re: [z_scale] Z scale "aura" compared to N

  • Jay & Anne Greer
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi,
      One other scale seems to capture the aura you speak of. Check out TT.
      Jay Greer

      > From: "webffm" <webffm@...>
      > Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 04:38:19 -0000
      > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [z_scale] Z scale "aura" compared to N
      >
      > Maybe aura is the wrong term, but it closely describes my observation
      > of the fact the modeling scale of Z simply looks better for some
      > reason than N scale. I noticed I was never happy with the size of N
      > scale. Whereas HO offers enough detail to be very believable, Z
      > offers enough of a direct lack of detail to also be very realistic,
      > in proportion. N scale tries to be HO in detail, but it is so much
      > larger than Z you can't hide enough of it to make it look really
      > good. Comes off almost too "toy-like" I think. I guess what I am
      > saying is Z pulls it off better than N in terms of the overall look.
      > My Z scale layout is being built where my N scale one was, 2 by 31
      > feet in the shape of an L against a wall. It will take years to
      > detail and finish, but the sections completed somehow look so much
      > better than what was there in N...which is what led me to write the
      > first part of this message. I also model HO (Marklin) and some O,
      > but only N never "felt" right in size.

    • webffm
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
        Actually, I've always been curious about TT. There is just nothing
        that I can see that is easily accessible in the U.S. In looking at
        TT specific sites on the Internet, I notice TT enthusiasts tend to
        look at their scale similar to what S scalers indicate...noting it
        combines the perfect elements of all the other scales and offers the
        most enjoyment.
      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
          >but the sections completed somehow look so much
          > better than what was there in N

          Maybe your modeling skills have advanced substantially since you built the
          N layout without you even noticing!!!

          :)

        • Jay & Anne Greer
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
            Hello "webffm",
            Although I have been a Z fan for nearly twenty years and also have a lot of
            European N scale, I am also drawn to TT because it is a scale that seems to
            give a better feeling of realism than do N or HO. Granted, there is not much
            available to the US train fan but there is a lot of TT available at
            reasonable prices if you are into German Trains. I can give you the address
            of a source in the US that is selling TT starter kits for $30.00. Mine runs
            great and looks terrific!
            Regards,
            Jay Greer

            > From: "webffm" <webffm@...>
            > Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 16:27:05 -0000
            > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [z_scale] Re: Z scale "aura" compared to N
            >
            > Actually, I've always been curious about TT. There is just nothing
            > that I can see that is easily accessible in the U.S. In looking at
            > TT specific sites on the Internet, I notice TT enthusiasts tend to
            > look at their scale similar to what S scalers indicate...noting it
            > combines the perfect elements of all the other scales and offers the
            > most enjoyment.

          • webffm
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
              Jay -- that would be great -- you can email me direct off list at
              webffm@.... Thanks! Bill, Buffalo NY
            • Jay & Anne Greer
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
                Hi Bill,
                My friend who can supply you with TT items as well as a starter set is
                Edward Harris at <trainned@...>
                He prefers to be called Ned. For thirty bucks you can get a good look at TT
                and have some fun to boot. Here is a German web site that will connect you
                to a lot of other TT sites: http://www.kuswa.de/T1/t1.htm
                Cheers,
                Jay Greer/Trax Inc.

                > From: "webffm" <webffm@...>
                > Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 20:41:39 -0000
                > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [z_scale] Re: Z scale "aura" compared to N
                >
                > Jay -- that would be great -- you can email me direct off list at
                > webffm@.... Thanks! Bill, Buffalo NY

              • pasowl
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
                  I feel there's another reason for what "feels" right also. And that's
                  your viewing distance.

                  With my most recent HO layout now under construction, I raised it up
                  quite a bit above what module units and others reccomend. This
                  permits me to look more into the scene then down on the scene and the
                  HO size allows you the detailing possiabilities for doing that.

                  In N scale the most common height is the N-trak specs which I am sure
                  most of us have seen. In many cases I feel (and only my opinion on
                  all of this subject)these modules would gain a lot better perspective
                  if they were raised up a bit more so more people would either look
                  more directly into the scenes (like the spectator was in a tall
                  building looking down perhaps)or dropped a bit and the modules widen
                  some to make the "mental image" more "common" to what someone might
                  already have an "mental" feel for, I.e. flying in a jet over the land.

                  When viewing these modules now, in many cases, I feel that you're
                  looking at it from a platform such as when you're flying over them in
                  a crop duster or helicopter close to the ground. Most people never
                  have that opportunity so you feel a little uneasy about what you are
                  seeing in the broad sense yet you're not sure just why.

                  Of course if it's a "first look" at the scene you're excitied at all
                  of the details, the memories the scene might bring to you, the
                  mpovement of the trains, etc. However the longer and more often you
                  look at the same modules, you tend to build up this sense
                  that "somethings not quite right". I feel part of the problem is that
                  your mind doesn't really have a lot of memory information to compare
                  this "unusual" viwewing angle/distance with.

                  I haven't had a chance yet to visit any Z modelers layouts as I am
                  just starting into this scale but in my inital views of small
                  displays at a couple of shows and of web page pictures, etc. I can
                  see how many people may feel "more comfortable" with the
                  overall "mental images" they get from well made Z scale systems
                  because they have been exposed to smaller ground based items from a
                  height they can relate to. Most people either fly often or seen many
                  more higher attitude images (via magazines, films, TV, etc.) then
                  they have from a low flying viewpoint.

                  So in my opinion part of the "aura" equation needs to be the smaller
                  size vs the probable viewing distance and what people have more
                  memories of to compare it metallly to.

                  I've flown in copters before and that's what kind of "platform" my
                  mind often imagines as I view N modules at a show from my sight level
                  (I'm 6'1" tall). With HO modules, if my bad back permits it, I almost
                  always lean down and look more straight on. Z's going to be
                  interesting to get the feel of once I can visit some layouts but my
                  inital thoughts right now is that I will probably feel that I am on a
                  higher attitude plane platform. More and more this "mental image" may
                  play a factor in viewing comfort as it is very common nowadays for
                  people to be exposed to a lot of high attitude images from flying or
                  even newsclips and movies, especially with the terroism war going on
                  and so many action type movies being produced.

                  So that's just my thoughts that viewing distance can also contribute
                  to the "mental reality" a lot in addition to other factors. Z may
                  have an advantage here of being more friendly to peoples minds when
                  you're dealing with "standard module heights" as you are playing into
                  mental images that your spectators are more comforatable with.
                  Just my thoughts,
                  Pete Shatswell
                  Night Owl Railways

                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                    Pete,

                    Interesting comments. The perspective of looking down compared to looking at
                    the trains is a topic of much discussion here lately in the Ztrack offices.
                    One of our subscribers recently mentioned he really does not like the covers
                    of Ztrack. His concern being that with covers putting the viewer at track
                    level, you cannot tell exactly what the scale is. Also, he feels it brings
                    out the flaws of Z scale. These flaws being cast on horns and other small
                    details that have been compromised because of the scale.

                    Personally, I cannot disagree more. In trying to promote the hobby, I tend to
                    feel we do spend too much time looking down on Z scale. This is a two fold
                    comment. As modelers, it can be challenging to work at track level. For the
                    hobby in general, Z scale has not gained the notoriety it deserve thus always
                    being looked down upon.

                    For me, the best comment I can get is when someone sees a cover of Ztrack and
                    cannot tell if it is Z, N, or HO. This places our scale on the same plane
                    with the other scales. Also, these extreme close-ups show the detailing and
                    intricacies that Z does offer. I spend most of time working above the layout.
                    It is an amazingly different world when you can get down to track level.

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com
                  • jmac_han
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                      --- In z_scale@y..., "pasowl" <Pasowl@a...> wrote:
                      > I feel there's another reason for what "feels" right also. And
                      that's
                      > your viewing distance.
                      SNIP

                      > So that's just my thoughts that viewing distance can also
                      contribute
                      > to the "mental reality" a lot in addition to other factors. Z may
                      > have an advantage here of being more friendly to peoples
                      minds when
                      > you're dealing with "standard module heights" as you are
                      playing into
                      > mental images that your spectators are more comforatable
                      with.
                      > Just my thoughts,
                      > Pete Shatswell
                      > Night Owl Railways
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@y..., "webffm" <webffm@y...> wrote:
                      > > Maybe aura is the wrong term, but it closely describes my
                      > observation
                      > > of the fact the modeling scale of Z simply looks better for
                      some
                      > > reason than N scale. I noticed I was never happy with the
                      size of
                      > > scale. Whereas HO offers enough detail to be very
                      believable, Z
                      > > offers enough of a direct lack of detail to also be very
                      realistic,
                      > > in proportion. N scale tries to be HO in detail, but it is so
                      much
                      > > larger than Z you can't hide enough of it to make it look really
                      > > good. Comes off almost too "toy-like" I think. I guess what I
                      am
                      > > saying is Z pulls it off better than N in terms of the overall
                      > look.

                      Hi Pete, Hi Jeff,

                      You have both touched on aspects of Z model railroading that
                      appeal to me and, I suspect, to many visitors to the Val Ease
                      Central at train shows.

                      I agree that adding super details to Z rolling stock may be
                      overdoing it in many cases since, frankly, nobody would ever
                      notice the detail except the builder and Jeff Rothfus :-)

                      Many of my N projects involved superdetailing with MU hoses,
                      ditch lights, windshield wipers, sun shades etc. The more detail
                      I added the more I found that I had forgotten. At a certain point it
                      became frustrating not having the skill or knowledge level to
                      produce an "exact" replica of my favourite locomotives and rolling
                      stock. A turning point came for me when I presented a Russell
                      snow plow that I had scratch built in an NMRA modelling
                      competition. I had worked from photos of the original and I was
                      quite proud of my effort. The judges thought otherwise. Not only
                      did I not recieve more than 20 points I received several
                      disparaging and discouraging comments concerning my work.

                      Once I had recovered from my bout of depression ;-) I began to
                      think about why I liked my model and the judges didn't. I realized
                      that I was more interested in the overall effect or impression the
                      model gave than the list of prototype details. The psychological
                      impact a miniature creates seems to be the result of the mental
                      background the observer adds to the picture. The judges
                      superimpose the image of the model onto a construct of the
                      prototype. I my case, the model was a piece of a jigsaw puzzle
                      image of my miniature landscape. The details become fuzzy
                      when in your mind's eye you see the loco at the head of a long
                      freight drag rounding a curve on a tough grade, spewing black
                      smoke and shaking the ground underfoot with the roar of it's
                      diesel plant. But I digress!

                      I think that Pete is correct in his observation about viewing
                      distance. Most of us don't hold an object 3 inches from our eyes
                      but rather at a comfortable viewing distance like when holding a
                      book. At 20 - 24 inches, a Z loco or car doesn't need to be
                      superdetailed. In the prototype world we would actually be
                      looking at a massive object from a distance of 440 feet. How
                      many details would one really see?

                      On the subject of viewing height, the debat continues to rage. I
                      like to have the layout at eye level when I am sitting down. When
                      I stand and tower over the layout I enjoy the helicopter
                      perspective. At train shows I also enjoy watching my trains from
                      10 to 20 feet away. Perhaps the surprise of seeing the miniature
                      landscape from many percieved distances is what appeals to
                      viewers. We can all pretend to be Superman zooming in to save
                      the day as we approach the Z landscape from afar. Didn't you
                      ever have dreams of flying like a bird?

                      I have heard that Z appeals to many people who seem to sum
                      up their feelings with the word "cute". <wink> When the
                      cuteness of Z trains is enveloped by a fully scenicked landscape
                      the public seems to lose sight of the trains and see an animated
                      world. At least that is the impression I get from talking to
                      visitors
                      to the Val Ease Central.

                      After almost 10 years on the road with the layout, I still get a
                      thrill
                      when I step back and enjoy the colours and visual textures of the
                      finished diorama (i.e. layout). Our animated dioramas have
                      railroads as a central theme but they are really just a series of
                      dioramas that may be discreet or continuous.

                      Diorama building is a very impressionistic art form. I have tried
                      to express my modelling philosophy with the phrase "Don't Look
                      for Perfection, Perfect the Look". And I'm still working on it!

                      Jeffrey
                    • David George
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                        I went from a ZBend standard of 50 inches in heigth to a table top level
                        for two reasons. 1. I have an interior valley in one wide module that is
                        hard to see for most adults at the 50 inch level , and 2. Dads and Moms
                        were always lifting children up to see the layout at shows. I brought a
                        step ladder to the shows to help out , but now I have a much larger layout
                        and would need too many ladders for the kids.
                        David G.
                        Spring, Texas

                        http://sports.yahoo.com
                      • Pasowl@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                          In a message dated 3/4/02 10:33:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          jmac_han@... writes:

                          > adding super details to Z rolling stock may be
                          > overdoing it in many cases since, frankly, nobody would ever
                          > notice the detail except the builder...

                          That's the joy of the hobby and what makes it the greatest hobby in my
                          feeling, we can do what we want with our own "empires" and the equipment,
                          etc. for it. It is the builders empire and no one else should try to mold
                          everyone into the same mold (one of my few grievances with certain parts of
                          the hobby currently).

                          > The psychological impact a miniature creates seems to be the result of the
                          > mental
                          > background the observer adds to the picture.

                          True... We see people of all ages get thrilled by Lionel trains at shows,
                          why? It brings back memories of the past, be it their dad or grandpa running
                          them, or even themselves. Also for those that didn't have Lionels they
                          reminded them of other things that were popular when railroading Lionel and
                          American Flyer was the king.

                          If it wasn't for memories people just wouldn't make an easy connection to the
                          hobby. People would just see the railroading efforts, costs, etc., as a "why
                          would you bother playing with toys (or spending that much, going to that much
                          effort, etc.)" or as just a waste of time (what my wife thought when I first
                          met her).

                          Frankly I feel I have learned more to help cope with life from model
                          railroading then from my schooling. One of my favorite quotes is from Mark
                          Twain, "Never let your schooling interfere with your learning." and I never
                          have! :-)

                          > I my case, the model was a piece of a jigsaw puzzle
                          > image of my miniature landscape. The details become fuzzy
                          > when in your mind's eye you see the loco at the head of a long
                          > freight drag rounding a curve on a tough grade, spewing black
                          > smoke and shaking the ground underfoot with the roar of it's
                          > diesel plant. But I digress!

                          I really love details. Ask my wife who tries to disown me or goes the
                          opposite direction when I go to a show and get excited about finding scaled
                          rats, etc., for my HO layout. However it's the overall impression that I like
                          to try to keep improving, not individual items within that view.

                          I do have a few "guiding" slogans I try to follow to help me satisfy myself
                          with my efforts. I feel having those really helps to create overall impr
                          essions. With Z scale I have reason to believe that it will be even more
                          important to work on improving overall imagery then the individual components
                          to satisfy my own preferences.

                          BTW, I know a person that had built a batch of (sorry, HO scale) beautiful
                          very detailed, perfected almost buildings/structures, etc., and won awards
                          for many of them. When he built a layout however and put them on it, it
                          really looked rather poor as each one was competing for all of your attention
                          so nothing really caught your eye and held it. Frankly it was boring, but I
                          loved each structure as an individual unit. Since then he has put less
                          detailed models into the scenes and other visual breaks as well as
                          substituting other buildings at times.

                          I feel that if you like contests and layouts, you usually end up building
                          models for each in different subtle manners that may not always be best to
                          combine unless scenic separations, etc. are provided. Why, because you having
                          to satisfy two different image mindsets.

                          > I think that Pete is correct in his observation about viewing
                          > distance.

                          My main feeling is that the viewing distance that provides the most impact of
                          what you are doing may well vary with what mental images the reader/spectator
                          has in their own minds. There is no one "perfect" height for everyone.

                          Since the modeler doesn't know each persons background you can't even begin
                          to try to build individually for each spectator so compromises are often
                          needed. However you do know one persons background and that's your own. Build
                          for yourself, and then share it to spread more memories.

                          Also listen to what's said by spectators if you have your system at a show.
                          For example. If people seem so-so about your layout, suggest they get their
                          eye level with the trackwork to view down the entire length of mainline while
                          the consist goes by. Their eyes will focus more on the "scene" then the
                          equipment. In my other scales I usually hear "wow" being said (depending how
                          well the scenes are done also).

                          > On the subject of viewing height, the debat continues to rage. I
                          > like to have the layout at eye level when I am sitting down. When
                          > I stand and tower over the layout I enjoy the helicopter
                          > perspective.

                          I also enjoy both having both viewpoints in some manner on my layouts. My
                          newest HO one (that's being built almost at eye level at it's highest point)
                          will have a blimp located over it and a wireless camera hidden behind it
                          sending the "helicopter" prospective image back to a TV that's located up
                          high on that side of the room.

                          Another example of viewing point, If you try to reproduce a prototype old
                          trackage with crooked jointed tracks, weeds, etc. when viewed from up high it
                          often looks like a lousy track laying job. However get down to track level
                          viewpoint and the "rustic" look tends to show. Not that I advocate crooked
                          track work, but I have seen some pretty amazing old sidings, etc., before
                          being used that obviously hadn't been maintained at all for a long time and
                          they have real "character".

                          <<At train shows I also enjoy watching my trains from
                          > 10 to 20 feet away. Perhaps the surprise of seeing the miniature
                          > landscape from many percieved distances is what appeals to
                          > viewers.

                          I want to plead guilty here on the main things I watch at the shows...
                          When I go to shows I will look at the modules, etc. but I frankly spend most
                          of my time watching the other spectators looking at all of the different
                          aspects of the hobby. Their smiles, laughs, amazed looks, etc. really adds a
                          very special value and a warm reward for doing all of the hard work, etc.
                          While I support having some types of contests, I get more pleasure from
                          seeing strangers reminiscing about something in their life's, laughing,
                          smiling, or being amazed by my own efforts then I get from winning an award.

                          <<We can all pretend to be Superman zooming in to save
                          > the day as we approach the Z landscape from afar. Didn't you
                          > ever have dreams of flying like a bird?

                          My dream was always to have a camera embedded in my eye to be able to capture
                          for others to see exactly what I saw. Perhaps why I went into the photography
                          field during my career? My wife and I often joke about the need for a
                          "shrinking ray" to grab items we see along the paths we travel and reduce
                          them (with less effort then modeling takes at times) to use on the layouts.
                          :-) Yes I dream a lot of being able to do "supernatural" items. :-)

                          > After almost 10 years on the road with the layout, I still get a
                          > thrill when I step back and enjoy the colours and visual textures of the
                          > finished diorama (i.e. layout).

                          That's the real reason and reward for modeling I believe! To be thrilled
                          about your own efforts!

                          > Diorama building is a very impressionistic art form. I have tried
                          > to express my modelling philosophy with the phrase "Don't Look
                          > for Perfection, Perfect the Look". And I'm still working on it!
                          > Jeffrey

                          I love dioramas. One of my guiding slogans for my other scale efforts in the
                          past has been "the more you look, the more you will see". I expect I will
                          find a way to incorporate that into the Z efforts also. :-)
                          Take it easy,
                          Pete Shatswell
                          Night Owl Railways

                        • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                            Dear Rob,

                            I fully support and share your point of view, i.e at or nearly at track level:-)
                            I had some experiences lately. At my first two exhibitions my small layout (47
                            inch) was placed on a table at a height of 80 cm (about 32 inch). Only the kids
                            were scrampling at my layout. They had fun, looking at locos and cars 'nose to
                            nose'. But the adults just looked down and went away. Do not forget that model
                            railroaders are mostly elderly people (at least in Germany). And those people do
                            not see very good anymore. And they do not wear their reading glasses at an
                            exhibition. So, they simply do not see the fine details of scale Z anymore!!
                            Learnt this, I built a special exhibition booth for my little layout. There the
                            layout is placed at a height of 48 inch! And I added very bright lights. In
                            addition I placed a plexi glas plate in front of my layout. It looks like an
                            aquarium. But so every adult was able to get as near as possible to the layout.
                            However unfortunately the smaller children did not see the trains, they need a
                            lift from papa. But the result was great. Now the adults, even not seeing very
                            well, got the details and the fascination of scale z. Sometimes up to 18 people
                            were scrampling in front of my 47 inch long layout!

                            So, my advice is: If you have a smaller scale Z layout bring it up to the adults
                            level. And put bright light to it. At my layout the smaller kids get a lift from
                            their parents, or from me :-))!
                            Do not provide an elevated stand. This creates disaster! The kids storm the
                            stand - and fall into the layout!

                            Regards

                            Dieter

                            ztrack@... schrieb:
                            > Pete,
                            >
                            > Interesting comments. The perspective of looking down compared to looking at
                            > the trains is a topic of much discussion here lately in the Ztrack offices.
                            > One of our subscribers recently mentioned he really does not like the covers
                            > of Ztrack. His concern being that with covers putting the viewer at track
                            > level, you cannot tell exactly what the scale is. Also, he feels it brings
                            > out the flaws of Z scale. These flaws being cast on horns and other small
                            > details that have been compromised because of the scale.
                            >
                            > Personally, I cannot disagree more. In trying to promote the hobby, I tend to
                            > feel we do spend too much time looking down on Z scale. This is a two fold
                            > comment. As modelers, it can be challenging to work at track level. For the
                            > hobby in general, Z scale has not gained the notoriety it deserve thus always
                            > being looked down upon.
                            >
                            > For me, the best comment I can get is when someone sees a cover of Ztrack and
                            > cannot tell if it is Z, N, or HO. This places our scale on the same plane
                            > with the other scales. Also, these extreme close-ups show the detailing and
                            > intricacies that Z does offer. I spend most of time working above the layout.
                            > It is an amazingly different world when you can get down to track level.
                            >
                            > Rob Kluz
                            >
                            > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                            > Dublin, OH 43016
                            > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                            > www.ztrack.com

                            Dieter W. Nolte
                            E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
                          • zbendtrack@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                              Rob:

                              > The perspective of looking down compared to looking at
                              > the trains is a topic of much discussion here lately

                              And it will probably continue as long as their are modeler's out there, too.
                              Each of us "sees" with a different mindset.

                              For what it's worth, both the modular standards are at 50" which provides for
                              an eye level viewpoint. Both groups independently arrived at the same
                              height, which is even more amazing. When these very large layouts are
                              assembled at shows, its a ton of fun walking along with the trains with the
                              sensation of "being in the scene" and not flying over it.

                              Opinions come in all sizes....
                              Bill Kronenberger
                              Houston
                            • Jay & Anne Greer
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                                Hi Jeffrey,
                                My first comment here is that I hope I am not elongating all of the copy too
                                much with my own comments. Eric Foxman and his wife came over for a visit
                                last week for a bit of lunch and a visit. We ran a couple of trains on a
                                loop left over from the Christmas tree we had on our kitchen island. I noted
                                that Eric's wife immediately got down to a level that was almost even with
                                the track or maybe eight scale feet above it. It was a natural action on her
                                part and I remember commenting how I felt that a better feeling of realism
                                can be accomplished by having our layouts laid out on a table that is
                                slightly higher than we normally would built them. I for one vote for higher
                                layout tables!
                                Best Regards,
                                Jay Greer

                              • Robert Allbritton
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                  Hi folks,

                                  Just my 2 cents worth: A track height of 50 inches works very well for me. I
                                  constructed all of my modules with them standing at the 50" height -
                                  result? - when I placed them on the ground for the first time they looked
                                  silly. A thin mountain snaked down the middle with seemingly impossible
                                  grades. Raise it up to that 50" height and it looks fantastic (well, at
                                  least it does to me.) and that is the point. Build something that makes you
                                  happy. If you derive happiness from the approval of others, then build what
                                  the majority prefer. But, something tells me that if you are looking for the
                                  approval of the masses, then you would be working with HO, not Z.

                                  David George has a good point: if you have lots of interior details, then
                                  they are going to be hard to view at the 50" height. I had the chance to see
                                  his work in St. Louis, and they are really fantastic (makes my stuff look
                                  like poo - poo) but I kind of liked his modules at the 50" height. There
                                  were tons of interior details that I knew I could not see, and that added to
                                  the magic and realism. We can not see everything in everyday life, and I
                                  really enjoyed trains popping up in locations I could not predict.

                                  To Jeffrey's point on viewing things from above, I agree: I like to see
                                  things from a bird's eye point of view as well (Probably explains why my
                                  other "fun" activity is piloting airplanes) but I spend the majority of my
                                  time on the ground. When I want that unusually bird's eye perspective, I'll
                                  go get the ladder (grin)

                                  To quote an old line: "To each his own," said the old lady as she kissed the
                                  cow.

                                  Best,
                                  -Rob
                                  www.z220.com

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                    Hi Bill,

                                    You are quite correct in mentioning that opinions come in all siZes
                                    as well as viewing heights ;-)

                                    I'm glad that there are a variety of layouts and differing viewing
                                    heights at train shows. The Z-Bend Track 50" standard is fine for a
                                    walk-around modular layout and has many advantages. Setting up the
                                    VECRR at 50" would require a platform lift and is impractical
                                    obviously. My viewing height is determined by the height of the
                                    table or counter top so it does vary on occasion. At some shows the
                                    height was such that I placed a bench in front of the layout so that
                                    little ones could get up to see the layout properly.

                                    My only beef with standing-level viewing heights at train shows is
                                    that our handicapped and wheelchair bound visitors are unable to
                                    enjoy the Z trains above their heads. If it were possible to do so,
                                    I would suggest a modular concept with two leg lengths, one for
                                    public shows with comfortable viewing when seated and the second for
                                    club gatherings at 50". Perhaps this could be done with a two part
                                    screw-in tubular leg system? Just food for thought.

                                    I noticed that David George had incorporated this idea into his
                                    layout at NTS2001.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Jeffrey MacHan
                                    VECRR

                                  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                      I think David makes a good point for low layouts when he mentions kids
                                      being lifted, step ladders, etc.....

                                      But for me, coming form an HO background, I like them high.

                                      Because I have not yet become involved with any other modelers, I started
                                      my first Z layout at a height that could cause nose bleeds for some (60")
                                      ....but I don't like to bend over.

                                      I also have a 'short' set of legs for it down at 36". Who knows...maybe
                                      telescoping legs under layouts will become the standard?

                                      Rob:

                                      > The perspective of looking down compared to looking at
                                      > the trains is a topic of much discussion here lately

                                      And it will probably continue as long as their are modeler's out there,
                                      too.
                                      Each of us "sees" with a different mindset.

                                      For what it's worth, both the modular standards are at 50" which provides
                                      for
                                      an eye level viewpoint. Both groups independently arrived at the same
                                      height, which is even more amazing. When these very large layouts are
                                      assembled at shows, its a ton of fun walking along with the trains with the

                                      sensation of "being in the scene" and not flying over it.

                                      Opinions come in all sizes....
                                      Bill Kronenberger
                                      Houston
                                    • Ell Geib
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                        >I feel there's another reason for what "feels" right also. And that's
                                        >your viewing distance.
                                        >
                                        >SNIP
                                        >
                                        >When viewing these modules now, in many cases, I feel that you're
                                        >looking at it from a platform such as when you're flying over them in
                                        >a crop duster or helicopter close to the ground. Most people never
                                        >have that opportunity so you feel a little uneasy about what you are
                                        >seeing in the broad sense yet you're not sure just why.

                                        SNIP

                                        Over the years at various trains shows I have been involved with, one
                                        very real problem keeps coming up and there is really little that can
                                        be done. Visitors come in different heights. Even the typical heights
                                        of about 40 inches from floor to top of track is at best a
                                        compromise. Adults have to bend down to see things at eye level and
                                        kids have top be picked up. Things look better at eye level or
                                        looking just slightly down. But it is difficult to do at shows.

                                        The more area a person sees, the less real the models appear.

                                        Ell Geib
                                      • David George
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                          Thank you Robert A. for your kind thoughts on my module scenery. Jeffery
                                          M. stated earlier that he builds dioramas with trains in them. I guess
                                          that is my starting point also. Maybe we should borrow from a famous movie
                                          and book and paraphrase to " And A Train Runs Through It ".
                                          David G.
                                          Spring, Tex.

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                        • ddechamp71
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                            Hi all, very interresting all these topics. In my case, I think that
                                            Z is interresting because of the "overflying" characteristics, but
                                            only on the large layouts. The coffee-table or briefcase types should
                                            be according to me only displayed at eyes heigth (it should be easy
                                            to fit some adjustable legs, or removable ones, due truly to their
                                            small size). Maybe like this it would remove the idea from non-Z
                                            scale modelrailroaders that our scale is "the-scale-where-mad-
                                            cockroaches-run-crazily-from-end-of-box-to-the-other". Presently I am
                                            working on a small display (50"long and 10" wide) that will be at
                                            about 60" high, just to have my trains slightly under eyes level (I
                                            have no kids). But when I begin (at last!) my main layout, I will
                                            have mandatorily low level displays and higher ones, as my last
                                            trackplan on which I'm working will be a bi-levelled one. Actually it
                                            completely deals with what I'm looking for: I am not a "rivet
                                            counter", like some wider scales modellers who love having a lot of
                                            details on their rolling stock but who don't care seeing it running
                                            on tramway style tight curves; but instead I love having a panoramic
                                            view of a railroad scenery (like the actual sight of the Tehachapi
                                            Loop where I go railfanning 3 to 4 times a year - thanks to my
                                            airline pilot employment): it permits me to see what I'm loving with
                                            north american railroading: huge 100-car freight trains with 4 or 5
                                            monster diesel locomotives at the point (I'm too young to have known
                                            the same with Cabs-forward or Challengers). Indeed I should
                                            love "flying" some feet just above the tracks just for the sight of
                                            the tremendous length of these trains, what is not easy at ground
                                            level, and according to me Z scale is the best for this purpose.
                                            Cheers
                                            Dominique
                                          • ddechamp71