Z scale "aura" compared to N

  • webffm
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 2, 2002
      Maybe aura is the wrong term, but it closely describes my observation
      of the fact the modeling scale of Z simply looks better for some
      reason than N scale. I noticed I was never happy with the size of N
      scale. Whereas HO offers enough detail to be very believable, Z
      offers enough of a direct lack of detail to also be very realistic,
      in proportion. N scale tries to be HO in detail, but it is so much
      larger than Z you can't hide enough of it to make it look really
      good. Comes off almost too "toy-like" I think. I guess what I am
      saying is Z pulls it off better than N in terms of the overall look.
      My Z scale layout is being built where my N scale one was, 2 by 31
      feet in the shape of an L against a wall. It will take years to
      detail and finish, but the sections completed somehow look so much
      better than what was there in N...which is what led me to write the
      first part of this message. I also model HO (Marklin) and some O,
      but only N never "felt" right in size.
    • Jay & Anne Greer
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 2, 2002
        Hi,
        One other scale seems to capture the aura you speak of. Check out TT.
        Jay Greer

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
          Actually, I've always been curious about TT. There is just nothing
          that I can see that is easily accessible in the U.S. In looking at
          TT specific sites on the Internet, I notice TT enthusiasts tend to
          look at their scale similar to what S scalers indicate...noting it
          combines the perfect elements of all the other scales and offers the
          most enjoyment.
        • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
            >but the sections completed somehow look so much
            > better than what was there in N

            Maybe your modeling skills have advanced substantially since you built the
            N layout without you even noticing!!!

            :)

          • Jay & Anne Greer
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
              Hello "webffm",
              Although I have been a Z fan for nearly twenty years and also have a lot of
              European N scale, I am also drawn to TT because it is a scale that seems to
              give a better feeling of realism than do N or HO. Granted, there is not much
              available to the US train fan but there is a lot of TT available at
              reasonable prices if you are into German Trains. I can give you the address
              of a source in the US that is selling TT starter kits for $30.00. Mine runs
              great and looks terrific!
              Regards,
              Jay Greer

              > From: "webffm" <webffm@...>
              > Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 16:27:05 -0000
              > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [z_scale] Re: Z scale "aura" compared to N
              >
              > Actually, I've always been curious about TT. There is just nothing
              > that I can see that is easily accessible in the U.S. In looking at
              > TT specific sites on the Internet, I notice TT enthusiasts tend to
              > look at their scale similar to what S scalers indicate...noting it
              > combines the perfect elements of all the other scales and offers the
              > most enjoyment.

            • webffm
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
                Jay -- that would be great -- you can email me direct off list at
                webffm@.... Thanks! Bill, Buffalo NY
              • Jay & Anne Greer
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
                  Hi Bill,
                  My friend who can supply you with TT items as well as a starter set is
                  Edward Harris at <trainned@...>
                  He prefers to be called Ned. For thirty bucks you can get a good look at TT
                  and have some fun to boot. Here is a German web site that will connect you
                  to a lot of other TT sites: http://www.kuswa.de/T1/t1.htm
                  Cheers,
                  Jay Greer/Trax Inc.

                  > From: "webffm" <webffm@...>
                  > Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 20:41:39 -0000
                  > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [z_scale] Re: Z scale "aura" compared to N
                  >
                  > Jay -- that would be great -- you can email me direct off list at
                  > webffm@.... Thanks! Bill, Buffalo NY

                • pasowl
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 3, 2002
                    I feel there's another reason for what "feels" right also. And that's
                    your viewing distance.

                    With my most recent HO layout now under construction, I raised it up
                    quite a bit above what module units and others reccomend. This
                    permits me to look more into the scene then down on the scene and the
                    HO size allows you the detailing possiabilities for doing that.

                    In N scale the most common height is the N-trak specs which I am sure
                    most of us have seen. In many cases I feel (and only my opinion on
                    all of this subject)these modules would gain a lot better perspective
                    if they were raised up a bit more so more people would either look
                    more directly into the scenes (like the spectator was in a tall
                    building looking down perhaps)or dropped a bit and the modules widen
                    some to make the "mental image" more "common" to what someone might
                    already have an "mental" feel for, I.e. flying in a jet over the land.

                    When viewing these modules now, in many cases, I feel that you're
                    looking at it from a platform such as when you're flying over them in
                    a crop duster or helicopter close to the ground. Most people never
                    have that opportunity so you feel a little uneasy about what you are
                    seeing in the broad sense yet you're not sure just why.

                    Of course if it's a "first look" at the scene you're excitied at all
                    of the details, the memories the scene might bring to you, the
                    mpovement of the trains, etc. However the longer and more often you
                    look at the same modules, you tend to build up this sense
                    that "somethings not quite right". I feel part of the problem is that
                    your mind doesn't really have a lot of memory information to compare
                    this "unusual" viwewing angle/distance with.

                    I haven't had a chance yet to visit any Z modelers layouts as I am
                    just starting into this scale but in my inital views of small
                    displays at a couple of shows and of web page pictures, etc. I can
                    see how many people may feel "more comfortable" with the
                    overall "mental images" they get from well made Z scale systems
                    because they have been exposed to smaller ground based items from a
                    height they can relate to. Most people either fly often or seen many
                    more higher attitude images (via magazines, films, TV, etc.) then
                    they have from a low flying viewpoint.

                    So in my opinion part of the "aura" equation needs to be the smaller
                    size vs the probable viewing distance and what people have more
                    memories of to compare it metallly to.

                    I've flown in copters before and that's what kind of "platform" my
                    mind often imagines as I view N modules at a show from my sight level
                    (I'm 6'1" tall). With HO modules, if my bad back permits it, I almost
                    always lean down and look more straight on. Z's going to be
                    interesting to get the feel of once I can visit some layouts but my
                    inital thoughts right now is that I will probably feel that I am on a
                    higher attitude plane platform. More and more this "mental image" may
                    play a factor in viewing comfort as it is very common nowadays for
                    people to be exposed to a lot of high attitude images from flying or
                    even newsclips and movies, especially with the terroism war going on
                    and so many action type movies being produced.

                    So that's just my thoughts that viewing distance can also contribute
                    to the "mental reality" a lot in addition to other factors. Z may
                    have an advantage here of being more friendly to peoples minds when
                    you're dealing with "standard module heights" as you are playing into
                    mental images that your spectators are more comforatable with.
                    Just my thoughts,
                    Pete Shatswell
                    Night Owl Railways

                  • ztrack@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                      Pete,

                      Interesting comments. The perspective of looking down compared to looking at
                      the trains is a topic of much discussion here lately in the Ztrack offices.
                      One of our subscribers recently mentioned he really does not like the covers
                      of Ztrack. His concern being that with covers putting the viewer at track
                      level, you cannot tell exactly what the scale is. Also, he feels it brings
                      out the flaws of Z scale. These flaws being cast on horns and other small
                      details that have been compromised because of the scale.

                      Personally, I cannot disagree more. In trying to promote the hobby, I tend to
                      feel we do spend too much time looking down on Z scale. This is a two fold
                      comment. As modelers, it can be challenging to work at track level. For the
                      hobby in general, Z scale has not gained the notoriety it deserve thus always
                      being looked down upon.

                      For me, the best comment I can get is when someone sees a cover of Ztrack and
                      cannot tell if it is Z, N, or HO. This places our scale on the same plane
                      with the other scales. Also, these extreme close-ups show the detailing and
                      intricacies that Z does offer. I spend most of time working above the layout.
                      It is an amazingly different world when you can get down to track level.

                      Rob Kluz

                      Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      Dublin, OH 43016
                      Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                      www.ztrack.com
                    • jmac_han
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                        --- In z_scale@y..., "pasowl" <Pasowl@a...> wrote:
                        > I feel there's another reason for what "feels" right also. And
                        that's
                        > your viewing distance.
                        SNIP

                        > So that's just my thoughts that viewing distance can also
                        contribute
                        > to the "mental reality" a lot in addition to other factors. Z may
                        > have an advantage here of being more friendly to peoples
                        minds when
                        > you're dealing with "standard module heights" as you are
                        playing into
                        > mental images that your spectators are more comforatable
                        with.
                        > Just my thoughts,
                        > Pete Shatswell
                        > Night Owl Railways
                        >
                        > --- In z_scale@y..., "webffm" <webffm@y...> wrote:
                        > > Maybe aura is the wrong term, but it closely describes my
                        > observation
                        > > of the fact the modeling scale of Z simply looks better for
                        some
                        > > reason than N scale. I noticed I was never happy with the
                        size of
                        > > scale. Whereas HO offers enough detail to be very
                        believable, Z
                        > > offers enough of a direct lack of detail to also be very
                        realistic,
                        > > in proportion. N scale tries to be HO in detail, but it is so
                        much
                        > > larger than Z you can't hide enough of it to make it look really
                        > > good. Comes off almost too "toy-like" I think. I guess what I
                        am
                        > > saying is Z pulls it off better than N in terms of the overall
                        > look.

                        Hi Pete, Hi Jeff,

                        You have both touched on aspects of Z model railroading that
                        appeal to me and, I suspect, to many visitors to the Val Ease
                        Central at train shows.

                        I agree that adding super details to Z rolling stock may be
                        overdoing it in many cases since, frankly, nobody would ever
                        notice the detail except the builder and Jeff Rothfus :-)

                        Many of my N projects involved superdetailing with MU hoses,
                        ditch lights, windshield wipers, sun shades etc. The more detail
                        I added the more I found that I had forgotten. At a certain point it
                        became frustrating not having the skill or knowledge level to
                        produce an "exact" replica of my favourite locomotives and rolling
                        stock. A turning point came for me when I presented a Russell
                        snow plow that I had scratch built in an NMRA modelling
                        competition. I had worked from photos of the original and I was
                        quite proud of my effort. The judges thought otherwise. Not only
                        did I not recieve more than 20 points I received several
                        disparaging and discouraging comments concerning my work.

                        Once I had recovered from my bout of depression ;-) I began to
                        think about why I liked my model and the judges didn't. I realized
                        that I was more interested in the overall effect or impression the
                        model gave than the list of prototype details. The psychological
                        impact a miniature creates seems to be the result of the mental
                        background the observer adds to the picture. The judges
                        superimpose the image of the model onto a construct of the
                        prototype. I my case, the model was a piece of a jigsaw puzzle
                        image of my miniature landscape. The details become fuzzy
                        when in your mind's eye you see the loco at the head of a long
                        freight drag rounding a curve on a tough grade, spewing black
                        smoke and shaking the ground underfoot with the roar of it's
                        diesel plant. But I digress!

                        I think that Pete is correct in his observation about viewing
                        distance. Most of us don't hold an object 3 inches from our eyes
                        but rather at a comfortable viewing distance like when holding a
                        book. At 20 - 24 inches, a Z loco or car doesn't need to be
                        superdetailed. In the prototype world we would actually be
                        looking at a massive object from a distance of 440 feet. How
                        many details would one really see?

                        On the subject of viewing height, the debat continues to rage. I
                        like to have the layout at eye level when I am sitting down. When
                        I stand and tower over the layout I enjoy the helicopter
                        perspective. At train shows I also enjoy watching my trains from
                        10 to 20 feet away. Perhaps the surprise of seeing the miniature
                        landscape from many percieved distances is what appeals to
                        viewers. We can all pretend to be Superman zooming in to save
                        the day as we approach the Z landscape from afar. Didn't you
                        ever have dreams of flying like a bird?

                        I have heard that Z appeals to many people who seem to sum
                        up their feelings with the word "cute". <wink> When the
                        cuteness of Z trains is enveloped by a fully scenicked landscape
                        the public seems to lose sight of the trains and see an animated
                        world. At least that is the impression I get from talking to
                        visitors
                        to the Val Ease Central.

                        After almost 10 years on the road with the layout, I still get a
                        thrill
                        when I step back and enjoy the colours and visual textures of the
                        finished diorama (i.e. layout). Our animated dioramas have
                        railroads as a central theme but they are really just a series of
                        dioramas that may be discreet or continuous.

                        Diorama building is a very impressionistic art form. I have tried
                        to express my modelling philosophy with the phrase "Don't Look
                        for Perfection, Perfect the Look". And I'm still working on it!

                        Jeffrey
                      • David George
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                          I went from a ZBend standard of 50 inches in heigth to a table top level
                          for two reasons. 1. I have an interior valley in one wide module that is
                          hard to see for most adults at the 50 inch level , and 2. Dads and Moms
                          were always lifting children up to see the layout at shows. I brought a
                          step ladder to the shows to help out , but now I have a much larger layout
                          and would need too many ladders for the kids.
                          David G.
                          Spring, Texas

                          http://sports.yahoo.com
                        • Pasowl@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                            In a message dated 3/4/02 10:33:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                            jmac_han@... writes:

                            > adding super details to Z rolling stock may be
                            > overdoing it in many cases since, frankly, nobody would ever
                            > notice the detail except the builder...

                            That's the joy of the hobby and what makes it the greatest hobby in my
                            feeling, we can do what we want with our own "empires" and the equipment,
                            etc. for it. It is the builders empire and no one else should try to mold
                            everyone into the same mold (one of my few grievances with certain parts of
                            the hobby currently).

                            > The psychological impact a miniature creates seems to be the result of the
                            > mental
                            > background the observer adds to the picture.

                            True... We see people of all ages get thrilled by Lionel trains at shows,
                            why? It brings back memories of the past, be it their dad or grandpa running
                            them, or even themselves. Also for those that didn't have Lionels they
                            reminded them of other things that were popular when railroading Lionel and
                            American Flyer was the king.

                            If it wasn't for memories people just wouldn't make an easy connection to the
                            hobby. People would just see the railroading efforts, costs, etc., as a "why
                            would you bother playing with toys (or spending that much, going to that much
                            effort, etc.)" or as just a waste of time (what my wife thought when I first
                            met her).

                            Frankly I feel I have learned more to help cope with life from model
                            railroading then from my schooling. One of my favorite quotes is from Mark
                            Twain, "Never let your schooling interfere with your learning." and I never
                            have! :-)

                            > I my case, the model was a piece of a jigsaw puzzle
                            > image of my miniature landscape. The details become fuzzy
                            > when in your mind's eye you see the loco at the head of a long
                            > freight drag rounding a curve on a tough grade, spewing black
                            > smoke and shaking the ground underfoot with the roar of it's
                            > diesel plant. But I digress!

                            I really love details. Ask my wife who tries to disown me or goes the
                            opposite direction when I go to a show and get excited about finding scaled
                            rats, etc., for my HO layout. However it's the overall impression that I like
                            to try to keep improving, not individual items within that view.

                            I do have a few "guiding" slogans I try to follow to help me satisfy myself
                            with my efforts. I feel having those really helps to create overall impr
                            essions. With Z scale I have reason to believe that it will be even more
                            important to work on improving overall imagery then the individual components
                            to satisfy my own preferences.

                            BTW, I know a person that had built a batch of (sorry, HO scale) beautiful
                            very detailed, perfected almost buildings/structures, etc., and won awards
                            for many of them. When he built a layout however and put them on it, it
                            really looked rather poor as each one was competing for all of your attention
                            so nothing really caught your eye and held it. Frankly it was boring, but I
                            loved each structure as an individual unit. Since then he has put less
                            detailed models into the scenes and other visual breaks as well as
                            substituting other buildings at times.

                            I feel that if you like contests and layouts, you usually end up building
                            models for each in different subtle manners that may not always be best to
                            combine unless scenic separations, etc. are provided. Why, because you having
                            to satisfy two different image mindsets.

                            > I think that Pete is correct in his observation about viewing
                            > distance.

                            My main feeling is that the viewing distance that provides the most impact of
                            what you are doing may well vary with what mental images the reader/spectator
                            has in their own minds. There is no one "perfect" height for everyone.

                            Since the modeler doesn't know each persons background you can't even begin
                            to try to build individually for each spectator so compromises are often
                            needed. However you do know one persons background and that's your own. Build
                            for yourself, and then share it to spread more memories.

                            Also listen to what's said by spectators if you have your system at a show.
                            For example. If people seem so-so about your layout, suggest they get their
                            eye level with the trackwork to view down the entire length of mainline while
                            the consist goes by. Their eyes will focus more on the "scene" then the
                            equipment. In my other scales I usually hear "wow" being said (depending how
                            well the scenes are done also).

                            > On the subject of viewing height, the debat continues to rage. I
                            > like to have the layout at eye level when I am sitting down. When
                            > I stand and tower over the layout I enjoy the helicopter
                            > perspective.

                            I also enjoy both having both viewpoints in some manner on my layouts. My
                            newest HO one (that's being built almost at eye level at it's highest point)
                            will have a blimp located over it and a wireless camera hidden behind it
                            sending the "helicopter" prospective image back to a TV that's located up
                            high on that side of the room.

                            Another example of viewing point, If you try to reproduce a prototype old
                            trackage with crooked jointed tracks, weeds, etc. when viewed from up high it
                            often looks like a lousy track laying job. However get down to track level
                            viewpoint and the "rustic" look tends to show. Not that I advocate crooked
                            track work, but I have seen some pretty amazing old sidings, etc., before
                            being used that obviously hadn't been maintained at all for a long time and
                            they have real "character".

                            <<At train shows I also enjoy watching my trains from
                            > 10 to 20 feet away. Perhaps the surprise of seeing the miniature
                            > landscape from many percieved distances is what appeals to
                            > viewers.

                            I want to plead guilty here on the main things I watch at the shows...
                            When I go to shows I will look at the modules, etc. but I frankly spend most
                            of my time watching the other spectators looking at all of the different
                            aspects of the hobby. Their smiles, laughs, amazed looks, etc. really adds a
                            very special value and a warm reward for doing all of the hard work, etc.
                            While I support having some types of contests, I get more pleasure from
                            seeing strangers reminiscing about something in their life's, laughing,
                            smiling, or being amazed by my own efforts then I get from winning an award.

                            <<We can all pretend to be Superman zooming in to save
                            > the day as we approach the Z landscape from afar. Didn't you
                            > ever have dreams of flying like a bird?

                            My dream was always to have a camera embedded in my eye to be able to capture
                            for others to see exactly what I saw. Perhaps why I went into the photography
                            field during my career? My wife and I often joke about the need for a
                            "shrinking ray" to grab items we see along the paths we travel and reduce
                            them (with less effort then modeling takes at times) to use on the layouts.
                            :-) Yes I dream a lot of being able to do "supernatural" items. :-)

                            > After almost 10 years on the road with the layout, I still get a
                            > thrill when I step back and enjoy the colours and visual textures of the
                            > finished diorama (i.e. layout).

                            That's the real reason and reward for modeling I believe! To be thrilled
                            about your own efforts!

                            > Diorama building is a very impressionistic art form. I have tried
                            > to express my modelling philosophy with the phrase "Don't Look
                            > for Perfection, Perfect the Look". And I'm still working on it!
                            > Jeffrey

                            I love dioramas. One of my guiding slogans for my other scale efforts in the
                            past has been "the more you look, the more you will see". I expect I will
                            find a way to incorporate that into the Z efforts also. :-)
                            Take it easy,
                            Pete Shatswell
                            Night Owl Railways

                          • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                              Dear Rob,

                              I fully support and share your point of view, i.e at or nearly at track level:-)
                              I had some experiences lately. At my first two exhibitions my small layout (47
                              inch) was placed on a table at a height of 80 cm (about 32 inch). Only the kids
                              were scrampling at my layout. They had fun, looking at locos and cars 'nose to
                              nose'. But the adults just looked down and went away. Do not forget that model
                              railroaders are mostly elderly people (at least in Germany). And those people do
                              not see very good anymore. And they do not wear their reading glasses at an
                              exhibition. So, they simply do not see the fine details of scale Z anymore!!
                              Learnt this, I built a special exhibition booth for my little layout. There the
                              layout is placed at a height of 48 inch! And I added very bright lights. In
                              addition I placed a plexi glas plate in front of my layout. It looks like an
                              aquarium. But so every adult was able to get as near as possible to the layout.
                              However unfortunately the smaller children did not see the trains, they need a
                              lift from papa. But the result was great. Now the adults, even not seeing very
                              well, got the details and the fascination of scale z. Sometimes up to 18 people
                              were scrampling in front of my 47 inch long layout!

                              So, my advice is: If you have a smaller scale Z layout bring it up to the adults
                              level. And put bright light to it. At my layout the smaller kids get a lift from
                              their parents, or from me :-))!
                              Do not provide an elevated stand. This creates disaster! The kids storm the
                              stand - and fall into the layout!

                              Regards

                              Dieter

                              ztrack@... schrieb:
                              > Pete,
                              >
                              > Interesting comments. The perspective of looking down compared to looking at
                              > the trains is a topic of much discussion here lately in the Ztrack offices.
                              > One of our subscribers recently mentioned he really does not like the covers
                              > of Ztrack. His concern being that with covers putting the viewer at track
                              > level, you cannot tell exactly what the scale is. Also, he feels it brings
                              > out the flaws of Z scale. These flaws being cast on horns and other small
                              > details that have been compromised because of the scale.
                              >
                              > Personally, I cannot disagree more. In trying to promote the hobby, I tend to
                              > feel we do spend too much time looking down on Z scale. This is a two fold
                              > comment. As modelers, it can be challenging to work at track level. For the
                              > hobby in general, Z scale has not gained the notoriety it deserve thus always
                              > being looked down upon.
                              >
                              > For me, the best comment I can get is when someone sees a cover of Ztrack and
                              > cannot tell if it is Z, N, or HO. This places our scale on the same plane
                              > with the other scales. Also, these extreme close-ups show the detailing and
                              > intricacies that Z does offer. I spend most of time working above the layout.
                              > It is an amazingly different world when you can get down to track level.
                              >
                              > Rob Kluz
                              >
                              > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                              > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                              > Dublin, OH 43016
                              > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                              > www.ztrack.com

                              Dieter W. Nolte
                              E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
                            • zbendtrack@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                                Rob:

                                > The perspective of looking down compared to looking at
                                > the trains is a topic of much discussion here lately

                                And it will probably continue as long as their are modeler's out there, too.
                                Each of us "sees" with a different mindset.

                                For what it's worth, both the modular standards are at 50" which provides for
                                an eye level viewpoint. Both groups independently arrived at the same
                                height, which is even more amazing. When these very large layouts are
                                assembled at shows, its a ton of fun walking along with the trains with the
                                sensation of "being in the scene" and not flying over it.

                                Opinions come in all sizes....
                                Bill Kronenberger
                                Houston
                              • Jay & Anne Greer
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 4, 2002
                                  Hi Jeffrey,
                                  My first comment here is that I hope I am not elongating all of the copy too
                                  much with my own comments. Eric Foxman and his wife came over for a visit
                                  last week for a bit of lunch and a visit. We ran a couple of trains on a
                                  loop left over from the Christmas tree we had on our kitchen island. I noted
                                  that Eric's wife immediately got down to a level that was almost even with
                                  the track or maybe eight scale feet above it. It was a natural action on her
                                  part and I remember commenting how I felt that a better feeling of realism
                                  can be accomplished by having our layouts laid out on a table that is
                                  slightly higher than we normally would built them. I for one vote for higher
                                  layout tables!
                                  Best Regards,
                                  Jay Greer

                                • Robert Allbritton
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                    Hi folks,

                                    Just my 2 cents worth: A track height of 50 inches works very well for me. I
                                    constructed all of my modules with them standing at the 50" height -
                                    result? - when I placed them on the ground for the first time they looked
                                    silly. A thin mountain snaked down the middle with seemingly impossible
                                    grades. Raise it up to that 50" height and it looks fantastic (well, at
                                    least it does to me.) and that is the point. Build something that makes you
                                    happy. If you derive happiness from the approval of others, then build what
                                    the majority prefer. But, something tells me that if you are looking for the
                                    approval of the masses, then you would be working with HO, not Z.

                                    David George has a good point: if you have lots of interior details, then
                                    they are going to be hard to view at the 50" height. I had the chance to see
                                    his work in St. Louis, and they are really fantastic (makes my stuff look
                                    like poo - poo) but I kind of liked his modules at the 50" height. There
                                    were tons of interior details that I knew I could not see, and that added to
                                    the magic and realism. We can not see everything in everyday life, and I
                                    really enjoyed trains popping up in locations I could not predict.

                                    To Jeffrey's point on viewing things from above, I agree: I like to see
                                    things from a bird's eye point of view as well (Probably explains why my
                                    other "fun" activity is piloting airplanes) but I spend the majority of my
                                    time on the ground. When I want that unusually bird's eye perspective, I'll
                                    go get the ladder (grin)

                                    To quote an old line: "To each his own," said the old lady as she kissed the
                                    cow.

                                    Best,
                                    -Rob
                                    www.z220.com

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                      Hi Bill,

                                      You are quite correct in mentioning that opinions come in all siZes
                                      as well as viewing heights ;-)

                                      I'm glad that there are a variety of layouts and differing viewing
                                      heights at train shows. The Z-Bend Track 50" standard is fine for a
                                      walk-around modular layout and has many advantages. Setting up the
                                      VECRR at 50" would require a platform lift and is impractical
                                      obviously. My viewing height is determined by the height of the
                                      table or counter top so it does vary on occasion. At some shows the
                                      height was such that I placed a bench in front of the layout so that
                                      little ones could get up to see the layout properly.

                                      My only beef with standing-level viewing heights at train shows is
                                      that our handicapped and wheelchair bound visitors are unable to
                                      enjoy the Z trains above their heads. If it were possible to do so,
                                      I would suggest a modular concept with two leg lengths, one for
                                      public shows with comfortable viewing when seated and the second for
                                      club gatherings at 50". Perhaps this could be done with a two part
                                      screw-in tubular leg system? Just food for thought.

                                      I noticed that David George had incorporated this idea into his
                                      layout at NTS2001.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Jeffrey MacHan
                                      VECRR

                                    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                        I think David makes a good point for low layouts when he mentions kids
                                        being lifted, step ladders, etc.....

                                        But for me, coming form an HO background, I like them high.

                                        Because I have not yet become involved with any other modelers, I started
                                        my first Z layout at a height that could cause nose bleeds for some (60")
                                        ....but I don't like to bend over.

                                        I also have a 'short' set of legs for it down at 36". Who knows...maybe
                                        telescoping legs under layouts will become the standard?

                                        Rob:

                                        > The perspective of looking down compared to looking at
                                        > the trains is a topic of much discussion here lately

                                        And it will probably continue as long as their are modeler's out there,
                                        too.
                                        Each of us "sees" with a different mindset.

                                        For what it's worth, both the modular standards are at 50" which provides
                                        for
                                        an eye level viewpoint. Both groups independently arrived at the same
                                        height, which is even more amazing. When these very large layouts are
                                        assembled at shows, its a ton of fun walking along with the trains with the

                                        sensation of "being in the scene" and not flying over it.

                                        Opinions come in all sizes....
                                        Bill Kronenberger
                                        Houston
                                      • Ell Geib
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                          >I feel there's another reason for what "feels" right also. And that's
                                          >your viewing distance.
                                          >
                                          >SNIP
                                          >
                                          >When viewing these modules now, in many cases, I feel that you're
                                          >looking at it from a platform such as when you're flying over them in
                                          >a crop duster or helicopter close to the ground. Most people never
                                          >have that opportunity so you feel a little uneasy about what you are
                                          >seeing in the broad sense yet you're not sure just why.

                                          SNIP

                                          Over the years at various trains shows I have been involved with, one
                                          very real problem keeps coming up and there is really little that can
                                          be done. Visitors come in different heights. Even the typical heights
                                          of about 40 inches from floor to top of track is at best a
                                          compromise. Adults have to bend down to see things at eye level and
                                          kids have top be picked up. Things look better at eye level or
                                          looking just slightly down. But it is difficult to do at shows.

                                          The more area a person sees, the less real the models appear.

                                          Ell Geib
                                        • David George
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                            Thank you Robert A. for your kind thoughts on my module scenery. Jeffery
                                            M. stated earlier that he builds dioramas with trains in them. I guess
                                            that is my starting point also. Maybe we should borrow from a famous movie
                                            and book and paraphrase to " And A Train Runs Through It ".
                                            David G.
                                            Spring, Tex.

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                          • ddechamp71
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 5, 2002
                                              Hi all, very interresting all these topics. In my case, I think that
                                              Z is interresting because of the "overflying" characteristics, but
                                              only on the large layouts. The coffee-table or briefcase types should
                                              be according to me only displayed at eyes heigth (it should be easy
                                              to fit some adjustable legs, or removable ones, due truly to their
                                              small size). Maybe like this it would remove the idea from non-Z
                                              scale modelrailroaders that our scale is "the-scale-where-mad-
                                              cockroaches-run-crazily-from-end-of-box-to-the-other". Presently I am
                                              working on a small display (50"long and 10" wide) that will be at
                                              about 60" high, just to have my trains slightly under eyes level (I
                                              have no kids). But when I begin (at last!) my main layout, I will
                                              have mandatorily low level displays and higher ones, as my last
                                              trackplan on which I'm working will be a bi-levelled one. Actually it
                                              completely deals with what I'm looking for: I am not a "rivet
                                              counter", like some wider scales modellers who love having a lot of
                                              details on their rolling stock but who don't care seeing it running
                                              on tramway style tight curves; but instead I love having a panoramic
                                              view of a railroad scenery (like the actual sight of the Tehachapi
                                              Loop where I go railfanning 3 to 4 times a year - thanks to my
                                              airline pilot employment): it permits me to see what I'm loving with
                                              north american railroading: huge 100-car freight trains with 4 or 5
                                              monster diesel locomotives at the point (I'm too young to have known
                                              the same with Cabs-forward or Challengers). Indeed I should
                                              love "flying" some feet just above the tracks just for the sight of
                                              the tremendous length of these trains, what is not easy at ground
                                              level, and according to me Z scale is the best for this purpose.
                                              Cheers
                                              Dominique
                                            • ddechamp71