handlaying track - method??

  • Ole Rosted
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
      Hi,

      The materials (rail, wood ties, PC ties) for handlaying code 40 track
      have arrived.

      Then what? I might just as well do it correctly right from the start
      (I have always had a sick sense of humor)

      No - I know ofcourse , that I will not be able to do things right the
      first time, I give it a try, but if those of you, who have experience
      in this, would tell me how they do it, I would be happy.

      On http://urbaneagle.com/data/RRturnouts.html they recommend gluing
      the ties to the base before soldering rail to ties.

      On www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk they build tracks in some sort of
      jig as a fishbone (one rail soldered to ties) and then solder-in the
      second rail in situ.

      Any other ways to do this?
      Ane other links to information?

      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
    • billy roden
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
        Hello Ole
        There are almost as many ways to build a switch as there are people
        building them.Here's how I do it in a nut shell. Using a Marklin switch as
        a guide the first time I cut a piece of metal shim material to the same
        angle as the frog on the Marklin this will be your jig.Now file the inside
        of your rails so when you slide them on each side of the jig they come to a
        good point to be soldered you now have your frog.Cut your long PC ties to
        solder your frog to then using your gauge you can now solder your out side
        rails to the PC ties.If you found any pictures at all you will see the
        placement for the PC ties. The first one will take a little time and you
        will get better with each one you build one. I prefer to glue the wood ties
        in after the switch is built.
        Some use a templet on paper this did not work for me,as I said everyone has
        a way that works best for them.I hope this helps you get started.Good Luck.

        Billy Roden
        ----------
        > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
        > To: z_scale@onelist.com
        > Subject: [z_scale] handlaying track - method??
        > Date: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 7:40 AM
        >
        > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > The materials (rail, wood ties, PC ties) for handlaying code 40 track
        > have arrived.
        >
        > Then what? I might just as well do it correctly right from the start
        > (I have always had a sick sense of humor)
        >
        > No - I know ofcourse , that I will not be able to do things right the
        > first time, I give it a try, but if those of you, who have experience
        > in this, would tell me how they do it, I would be happy.
        >
        > On http://urbaneagle.com/data/RRturnouts.html they recommend gluing
        > the ties to the base before soldering rail to ties.
        >
        > On www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk they build tracks in some sort of
        > jig as a fishbone (one rail soldered to ties) and then solder-in the
        > second rail in situ.
        >
        > Any other ways to do this?
        > Ane other links to information?
        >
        > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

        > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
        > Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
        Here</a>

        > CraZy 'bout Zee!

      • Bill Hoshiko
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
          Ole,

          Since I first read this post I checked out the San Diego Club website
          for hints about building code 40 switches.

          I see from their post that they use a wide throw bar to solder the
          points to. I guess that that is the way to solve the problem. It may
          not look right, but it is better for it to work without a lot of
          maintenance, than for it to look absolutely correct.

          I will go out and purchase some code 40 rail to attempt to construct a Z
          scale switch. I am still bothered about the rest of the ties. Laying
          individual ties in Z scale must be a time consuming job.

          Also, since I cannot use spikes to fasten the rail to the ties, using
          the PC ties to keep the code 40 rail in place for the balance of the
          layout will make the track look a little odd. Every so often you will
          have a tie that will be wider than the others.

          One of the reasons that Z scale is so interesting is that it requires a
          lot of improvising. The methods used to build layouts in the other
          scales are not always practical in Z.

          Sorry to have used Alex's post to answer Ole, but that post pushed me to
          answer. Thanks to both of you for making me think. When you try to
          solve problems without some other interested person, you tend to go
          around in circles. Talking to others cause you to be more careful about
          your reasoning. When you have only yourself to bounce ideas off, you
          will come up with some very stupid solutions.

          Bill

          Ole Rosted wrote:

          > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > The materials (rail, wood ties, PC ties) for handlaying code 40 track
          > have arrived.
          >
          > Then what? I might just as well do it correctly right from the start
          > (I have always had a sick sense of humor)
          >
          > No - I know ofcourse , that I will not be able to do things right the
          > first time, I give it a try, but if those of you, who have experience
          > in this, would tell me how they do it, I would be happy.
          >
          > On http://urbaneagle.com/data/RRturnouts.html they recommend gluing
          > the ties to the base before soldering rail to ties.
          >
          > On www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk they build tracks in some sort of
          > jig as a fishbone (one rail soldered to ties) and then solder-in the
          > second rail in situ.
          >
          > Any other ways to do this?
          > Ane other links to information?
          >
          > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

          > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
          > Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

          > CraZy 'bout Zee!
        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
            I just thought of another thing.

            When I used code 40 about 35 years ago, I was building a layout in my
            garage in the San Fernando Valley. The temperature change during a 24
            hour period could be as much as 50 degrees. Back in those days it was
            the practice to glue the rail to the ties with Pliobond, a contact
            cement.

            After I laid about 15 feet of track, including one switch, I quit for
            the day. The next day, when I went out to the layout I found a bunch of
            twisted rail. It had no resemblance to track. I never knew why this
            happened. My code 70 rail that was hand laid with spikes had no problem
            like this.

            Last year on the rmr news group I got an answer. With the larger rail,
            expansion and contraction due to temperature changes had other
            dimensions to expand into. With the Code 40 it could only expand
            lengthwise.

            Now I live within 10 miles of the Pacific Ocean and the temperature
            variance is not so great. The San Diego Club has their N gauge layout
            in the bottom level of a huge museum building where the temperature is
            almost constant all year.

            Today I shall go find be some code 40 to experiement with. I will keep
            you posted.

            Bill

            Ole Rosted wrote:

            > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
            >
            > Hi,
            >
            > The materials (rail, wood ties, PC ties) for handlaying code 40 track
            > have arrived.
            >
            > Then what? I might just as well do it correctly right from the start
            > (I have always had a sick sense of humor)
            >
            > No - I know ofcourse , that I will not be able to do things right the
            > first time, I give it a try, but if those of you, who have experience
            > in this, would tell me how they do it, I would be happy.
            >
            > On http://urbaneagle.com/data/RRturnouts.html they recommend gluing
            > the ties to the base before soldering rail to ties.
            >
            > On www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk they build tracks in some sort of
            > jig as a fishbone (one rail soldered to ties) and then solder-in the
            > second rail in situ.
            >
            > Any other ways to do this?
            > Ane other links to information?
            >
            > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

            > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
            > Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

            > CraZy 'bout Zee!
          • Jay & Anne Greer
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
              Hi Bill,
              What brand of track are you using and who is your supplier?
              I live in Newport Beach and don't think temperature expansion will be a
              problem. Please keep us all informed as to how your track laying and "Gandy
              Dancing" progress.
              Cheers,
              Jay Greer/Wegmann

              ----------

            • Jeffrey MacHan
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
                I have some Micro Engineering code 40 rail that I will be playing with. If
                you can't find the rail, try their HOn30 track and dump the ties. A good
                source on the East Coast is Train and Troopers in Maine.
                http://www.agate.net/~trainand/index.html

                Z U lAtR
                Jeffrey

              • Bill Hoshiko
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
                  I was going to build with code 55 rail. I would have hand laid all
                  track. I still am not certain what to use for ties that are other than
                  PC ties.

                  This after noon I went to the Train Crossing in Costa Mesa but they did
                  not have any code 40 rail. They do carry Micro Trains Z scale. They
                  have a selection of F3's and several dozen cars. I bought a SP black
                  Overnight Express box car. (I think that's what it's called)

                  I called around to other train shops in Orange County but no one stocks
                  any code 40 rail. Then I tried The Whistle Stop in Pasadena and they
                  had a supply. I'll go this weekend to get some.

                  Still no ties. I have some N scale ties so I'll use those for this
                  trial.

                  My daughter bought a Panasonic camcorder that can also take digital
                  still photos on a disc. We will experiment with that and maybe I can
                  post some pictures.

                  Bill

                  Jay & Anne Greer wrote:

> [...]
                  > >> in this, would tell me how they do it, I would be happy.
                  > >>
                  > >> On http://urbaneagle.com/data/RRturnouts.html they recommend gluing
                  > >> the ties to the base before soldering rail to ties.
                  > >>
                  > >> On www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk they build tracks in some sort of
                  > >> jig as a fishbone (one rail soldered to ties) and then solder-in the
                  > >> second rail in situ.
                  > >>
                  > >> Any other ways to do this?
                  > >> Ane other links to information?
                  > >>
                  > >> regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
                  > >>
                  > >> --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ----------------------------
                  > >>
                  > >> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
                  > >> Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

                  > >> CraZy 'bout Zee!

                  > > Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple. Click Here!

                  > > CraZy 'bout Zee!

                  > eGroups' Valentine's Day Gift Guide - Shop Here Now:

                • Ed Scullin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
                    One thing with code 40 track. Save the small scraps. They make great
                    flat car loads, in the US, the track came in 21 foot lenghts if I
                    remember correctly, and they can also be strewn about the yards like
                    every railroad I have ever seen.
                    Ed Scullin