Re: [z_scale] Figures

  • Pasowl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2002
      RSmidt@... writes:

      > Has anyone tried using 1:192nd scale figures from ship models? It seems
      > like maybe you could shorten the limbs and they might be OK. Figures
      > for sailing ships, like sailors climbing rigging would make good
      > mountain climbers. Just an idea.
      >
      > Randy Smidt

      Randy,
      Can you guide me to any web sites, etc., that might have these illustrated?
      Thanks,
      Pete Shatswell
      Night Owl Railways

    • Randy Smidt

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2002
          Pete,

          I know I've seen these on-line somewhere, but I can't find them now for
          the life of me. I do know that the Revell plastic model kits of the USF
          Constitution (1:192) and the CSS Alabama have sailor figures in them,
          including some that are climbing rigging, but these kits are $60 +. A
          lot of money if you are just looking for the figures. There is also a
          1/253rd scale model of the USCGC Eagle/SV Gorch Fock (German sail
          trainer and sister ship of the Eagle) out there that may have figures
          included. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

          Good Luck,
          Randy Smidt

        • Pasowl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2002
            RSmidt@... writes:

            > I know I've seen these on-line somewhere [1:192 figures], but I can't find
            > them now for the life of me. I do know that the Revell plastic model kits
            > of the USF
            > Constitution (1:192) and the CSS Alabama have sailor figures in them,
            > including some that are climbing rigging, but these kits are $60 +. A
            > lot of money if you are just looking for the figures... Sorry I couldn't be
            > of more help.
            > Good Luck,
            > Randy Smidt

            Thanks Randy, If you or anyone spots a web site with 1:192 figures as you
            surf around drop me/the list a note if you would. Appreciate it,
            Pete Shatswell
            Night Owl Railways

          • jeremypbrandon
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
              --- In z_scale@y..., Pasowl@a... wrote:
              > If anyone spots a web site with 1:192 figures as you
              > surf around drop me/the list a note if you would.

              Try:

              http://www.howardmodels.com/supplies/onlineorderform.htm

              Good luck, Jeremy.
            • jeremypbrandon
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                Sorry if this is a re-post!

                --- In z_scale@y..., Pasowl@a... wrote:
                > If anyone spots a web site with 1:192 figures as you
                > surf around drop me/the list a note if you would.

                Try:

                http://www.howardmodels.com/supplies/onlineorderform.htm

                Good luck. Jeremy.
              • misszscale
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                  I'm placing figures on my layout. I want to be able to move them around if I decide they'd look better in a different place.

                  I've checked out museum/earthquake wax/gel and am not sure enough about it to buy it. I'd rather use a tiny dab of rubber cement but don't know how it will affect the base of the plastic figure.

                  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

                  Eileen
                • Karin E. Snyder
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                    I use white glue to mount mine because all you have to do to remove them is
                    to dampen it, and maybe not even that. Another method some of us like is to
                    use a small square or circle of clear acetate, aka transparency plastic,
                    (about the size of a hole punch circle)and use white glue to afix the feet
                    to it. If you don't want the shiny then spray it first with Dullcote. I
                    find this very helpful. But on my large amusement park layout, where I
                    mounted several hundred Preiser folk I liked the white glue best because it
                    dries a dull clear. CA glue is permanent and too shiny for my taste.
                    Rubber cement would be too blobbed for close macro pix.

                    I'm placing figures on my layout. I want to be able to move them around if
                    I decide they'd look better in a different place.

                    I've checked out museum/earthquake wax/gel and am not sure enough about it
                    to buy it. I'd rather use a tiny dab of rubber cement but don't know how it
                    will affect the base of the plastic figure.

                    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

                    Eileen

                  • Thomas Creighton Sr
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                      I use clear bathtub caulk, it hold good and if you have to move something it comes  up easy and  remove easy for replacement of fresh caulk to its new location. Tom Creighton Sr.

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                        Hi Eileen,

                        Go to a store selling crafts items - Michael's, A.C. Moore etc.

                        Ask for a wax product florists use - florists' wax or something like that.
                        You really don't have to know much about it. Just a small dab on the base of
                        a figure will hold it in place - and it's still moveable.

                        Ray

                      • donfedjur@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                          Glue some tiny Neobendyum magnets to the base of the figures...........use conductive/metalized "magnetic" paint where you place them, move as you wish.

                          Don

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                            Don,
                            That won't work - it will mess up all the z-scale computers in the
                            office buildings. ;-}

                            - Rick Saviano

                            donfedjur@... wrote:
                            > Glue some tiny Neobendyum magnets to the base of the figures...........use conductive/metalized "magnetic" paint where you place them, move as you wish.
                            >

                            > Don

                          • misszscale
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                              LOL! Just what I need... a complete repaint!

                              Eileen

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, donfedjur@... wrote:

                              > Glue some tiny Neobendyum magnets to the base of the figures...........use conductive/metalized "magnetic" paint where you place them, move as you wish.
                              >

                              > Don

                            • misszscale
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                                Thanks, Ray. That's a good idea as long as the wax doesn't stain when it is warm. I can try it out on a scrap.

                                Eileen

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Cannon" <racy2@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Eileen,
                                >
                                > Go to a store selling crafts items - Michael's, A.C. Moore etc.
                                >
                                > Ask for a wax product florists use - florists' wax or something like that.
                                > You really don't have to know much about it. Just a small dab on the base of
                                > a figure will hold it in place - and it's still moveable.
                                >
                                > Ray

                              • misszscale
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                                  Ah! Like silicone. I'll try it. Thanks!

                                  Eileen

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

                                  > I use clear bathtub caulk, it hold good and if you have to move something it comes  up easy and  remove easy for replacement of fresh caulk to its new location. Tom Creighton Sr.
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • misszscale
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                                    I saw pics of your amusement park layout. Fabulous! Loved it!

                                    Rubber cement can be thinned to the consistency of water. When used that way, if you pass your finger over it you can barely feel it is there.

                                    I've used it a lot in graphic design and it lifts off completely with a rubber cement pick-up without a trace. Except it leaves a stain on some papers. And that's the problem. I'm using certain coated papers in some areas.

                                    White glue wouldn't work directly on the paper but the clear sticky acetate would be fine. Thanks for the idea.

                                    Eileen

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Snyder" <ladyrejoicer@...> wrote:

                                    > I use white glue to mount mine because all you have to do to remove them is
                                    > to dampen it, and maybe not even that. Another method some of us like is to
                                    > use a small square or circle of clear acetate, aka transparency plastic,
                                    > (about the size of a hole punch circle)and use white glue to afix the feet
                                    > to it. If you don't want the shiny then spray it first with Dullcote. I
                                    > find this very helpful. But on my large amusement park layout, where I
                                    > mounted several hundred Preiser folk I liked the white glue best because it
                                    > dries a dull clear. CA glue is permanent and too shiny for my taste.
                                    > Rubber cement would be too blobbed for close macro pix.

                                  • Loren Snyder
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 9, 2010
                                      Eileen,
                                      I have some white sticky wax I use in my dental lab. It works exactly like
                                      the florist's wax, only I'll send you some free if you want some.
                                      Let me know.
                                      Loren

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 10, 2010
                                        Loren,
                                        Is that like museum wax? That stuff is used to hold art objects in place in case of an earthquake.
                                        Robert

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 10, 2010
                                          Don't know. But it sure is sticky. It would sure hold Z scale people in
                                          place.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 10, 2010
                                            Thanks, Loren. I appreciate your offer. Wax leaves a little faint dark spot on my sidewalks when it is removed. My sidewalks are a paper composition and I would love to spray them with acrylic to seal them but I like the texture and so want to leave them alone.

                                            Eileen