Figures and Non-Z scale items

  • pae94037
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
      I've been looking for figures that are appropriate for winter
      scenes, winter sports, etc., but all I've found in Z scale are the
      Preiser figures listed in Walthers N/Z Scale Catalog. Does
      anyone know a source for others? I'm planning an Alpine railway,
      and summer and beach clothing won't cut it for snowy places.
      I'm surprised at the dearth of skiers, climbers and others,
      considering where Z scale originated.

      Also, I'd be interested in any other non-Z scale items not already
      mentioned that would fit into a Z scale layout. I have the little Z
      ruler, but local dealers don't have that many items in stock to
      choose from. This could be a really useful list to post under
      Files.

      Last, I'm interested in the suggestion to "cut apart" N scale
      windows to make Z scale frames. Bill, would you elaborate on
      that one and describe what you did?
      Thanks,
      pae
    • Pasowl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
        In a message dated 2/28/02 8:17:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        pae@... writes:

        > I've been looking for figures that are appropriate for winter
        > scenes, winter sports, etc., but all I've found in Z scale are the
        > Preiser figures listed in Walthers N/Z Scale Catalog. Does
        > anyone know a source for others? I'm planning an Alpine railway,
        > and summer and beach clothing won't cut it for snowy places.
        > I'm surprised at the dearth of skiers, climbers and others,
        > considering where Z scale originated.

        Hi,
        As I said in my lengthy post earlier I too am a little surprise at lack of
        "action" figures. However especially in your case you can "extend" the
        present coats, put extra layers on, etc., by just using a little modelers
        putty and repainting. In HO and N I often have to cut/bend/twist arms etc. to
        make them look more lifelike and then putty is used to smooth cracks, etc.,
        out.

        The smaller cracks in those scales I don't bother with using putty as paint
        will often fill it (I often mix a little baby powder into a little of the
        paint to make a more gap filling paint).

        As I posted I'm just getting into the Z scale but instead of puttying, I am
        planning on experimenting with just mixing more powder (of various types)
        into the paint and "painting on" new clothes, etc., as the scales so small to
        begin with using putty may be more work then need be done. I won't be at that
        stage for a while but don't see why it won't work. I may have to play with it
        some so it can be shaped properly but I have in mind a couple of different
        powder mixtures I want to try out. Will let you all know when I do that but
        it won't be till late next month in all probability. I am hoping to find some
        shops in Virginia (anyone knows any let me know) that stocks at least some of
        the figures, etc. so I can see their modification possibilities better then
        by a simple catalog picture.

        Also for winter outfits like the Olympic skiers wear you could sand down the
        wrinkles, folds, etc., that's typical in standard figures and paint their
        skin tight suits on.

        One last figure question...Did Merton ever make any Z scale figures?

        > Last, I'm interested in the suggestion to "cut apart" N scale
        > windows to make Z scale frames. Bill, would you elaborate on
        > that one and describe what you did?
        > Thanks,
        > pae

        I'm interested in seeing images of that also if an example is located on a
        web site someplace. I appreciate the suggestions and answer provided to my
        post. Hope you all will keep them coming! :-)
        Till later,
        Pete Shatswell
        Night Owl Railways (NOR)

      • zbendtrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
          Alex, Pae and the list:

          Alex's post:
          >NJ International 2 light LED N scale track signals - way undersized for N,
          >dead on for Z

          Pae's post:
          > Last, I'm interested in the suggestion to "cut apart" N scale
          > windows to make Z scale frames. Bill, would you elaborate on
          > that one and describe what you did?

          Both of you have motivated me to work to get "round2it" on a Non-Z items
          illustrated list.

          Now that I have a nice new 3.5 megapixel digital camera with a 112 page
          manual, I need something to force me to figure out how to use the 2,381
          options it seems to have. I've already figured how to get it to focus under
          1 inch, but I still have 80 more pages of manual to read. <smile>

          Since I travel, I get opportunities to see "stuff" at various hobby shops all
          over the planet. Kansas next month, and England in May. Things that are hard
          to find. So why not build an illustrated list along with the last place I
          saw them in stock. Readers can email me of other sources I don't know about
          and I'll add them to the list.

          Personally, I won't order anything until I can see it. Period. Eight digit
          part numbers and six words of description don't move my credit card one inch.
          But that's all you usually get on most web pages these days.

          Did you know, that the Bachmann N scale double track signal bridge is great
          for Z? Even clears the tops of the rails by 40 mm. Perfect. Around $7usd.
          It comes blister packed with some worthless stop/yield/turn signs. The
          signal bridge is not only really close to Z measurements, but the plastic
          jewels snap out and 2mm red and green LEDs pop right in. (Haven't seen the
          NJ International version yet, sorry).

          When's the last time you found one of the Bachmann signal bridges? I
          searched for over a year, and finally found a small shop in Seattle that
          still has a lifetime supply of the darn things in a box in the back room.
          They were awful dust covered, but brand new. Oh joy! I grabbed a half dozen
          and left many more in the back room.

          So, I'm off to start the list, pictures and sources. After I read 80 more
          pages of the camera manual.

          Thanks for the encouragement.
          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston
        • Pasowl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
            In a message dated 3/1/02 12:16:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            zbendtrack@... writes:

            > Both of you have motivated me to work to get "round2it" on a Non-Z items
            > illustrated list.
            >
            > Now that I have a nice new 3.5 megapixel digital camera with a 112 page
            > manual, I need something to force me to figure out how to use the 2,381
            > options it seems to have. I've already figured how to get it to focus
            > under
            > 1 inch, but I still have 80 more pages of manual to read. <smile>

            Bill,
            Non-Z item list sounds like a great project.

            BTW, If you get confuse and need clarification on a term or two, etc.
            concerning your digital camera send me a note directly and I would be glad to
            try to help explain if I can. I host a monthly digital camera SIG here in
            town and will be doing a very simple digital photography clinic at the
            upcoming railroad convention (if I ever have time to get out and shoot some
            rail related pictures). Love that digital capability!
            Later,
            Pete Shatswell
            Night Owl Railways
            Pasowl@...

          • zbendtrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
              Nel, Ole, Yuki, <long list of Zer's names deleted>, and myself:

              > BTW, If you get confuse and need clarification on a term or two, etc.
              > concerning your digital camera send me a note directly and I would be glad
              > to try to help explain if I can.

              All of us need to ask all our digital camera questions off-list to Pete now,
              he's volunteered. <smile> May his email inbox rest in peace some day. <grin>

              Seriously, thanks for the offer. Its one of the 40 needed skills in Z:
              macro-photography.

              Bill K.
              Houston
            • Ell Geib
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2002

                >Now that I have a nice new 3.5 megapixel digital camera with a 112 page
                >manual, I need something to force me to figure out how to use the 2,381
                >options it seems to have. I've already figured how to get it to focus under
                >1 inch, but I still have 80 more pages of manual to read. <smile>
                >
                >SNIP
                >
                >So, I'm off to start the list, pictures and sources. After I read 80 more
                >pages of the camera manual.
                >
                >Thanks for the encouragement.
                >Bill Kronenberger
                >Houston

                What kind of camera did you get?

                Ell Geib
              • Ell Geib
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2002
                  >SNIP
                  >
                  >BTW, If you get confuse and need clarification on a term or two, etc.
                  >concerning your digital camera send me a note directly and I would be glad to
                  >try to help explain if I can. I host a monthly digital camera SIG here in
                  >town and will be doing a very simple digital photography clinic at the
                  >upcoming railroad convention (if I ever have time to get out and shoot some
                  >rail related pictures). Love that digital capability!
                  >Later,
                  >Pete Shatswell
                  >Night Owl Railways
                  >Pasowl@...

                  Are you referring to the NMRA annual convention?

                  Ell Geib
                • Pasowl@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2002
                    In a message dated 3/5/02 6:12:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, geib@...
                    writes:

                    > Are you referring to the NMRA annual convention?
                    >
                    > Ell Geib

                    Not National, Richmond Rails 2002 Mid eastern region convention in June. <A HREF="http://richmondrails.homestead.com/">
                    Richmond Rails 2002</A> http://richmondrails.homestead.com
                    Later,
                    Pete Shatswell
                    Night Owl Railways

                  • zbendtrack@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2002
                      Ell

                      > What kind of camera did you get?

                      Casio QV-3000EX and a hard drive to go in it.

                      It had what I was looking for (glass lens, macro, depth of field, etc.) at a
                      price I could afford. No complaints so far.

                      Regards,
                      Bill K.