New to Z

  • ArcLucifer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 31, 2000
      I posted this once but I don't think i worked so here's another go!!
      I'm new to this list and to Z-scale as well. My e-mail is ArcLucifer@....
      The main point of my post follows.............

      I'm considering building a railway in Z scale and I was wondering if you
      could offer any advice. I'm quite experience with the workings of OO (OH) and
      run a fully prototypical railway with block instruments, signal levers, etc.
      regularly. The problem is that i don't have much space in my house for a new
      OO railway so I though Z would make a nice change. Are there any important
      things I should know? How does pricing compare? Are there many models or
      will I be forced to scratch build most things? and what type of things are
      possible with Z scale.

      Thanks in advance
    • joe vandenberg
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 26, 2012
        I would like to thank everyone for the reply's to this post. I did check out the switching videos and it certainly seems plausible. I'm not too worried about the lack of steam, as I can always scratchbuild a boiler or just place it in 1955, where there are rtr options available. I do think that the USRA models and the AMC 2-8-4's would sell well in Z, they certainly have in other scales, causing Bachmann to make several in HO and N that are C&O specific, not just the name slapped on a generic body.
        One thing if I can ask, can someone measure a AZL or MTL 2 bay offset hopper and let me know the length over the couplers? That will help me in my trackplanning tremendously.
        Joe Vandenberg
        C&O Piney Creek Branch, 1944