Re: eBay bid-and-disappear folks

  • Bim Bousman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2002
      Hello...

      I have put up lots of stuff on eBay and once in awhile I have the same
      problem... people who bid, apparently with no intention of ever buying...
      there is not much that you can do....

      First, I try to get some satrisfaction from the bidder by explaining that I
      have to pay a commission on all completed auctions and that their bid has
      also deprived me of a legitimate sale. Sometimes this works; usually it
      does not... there are some really inconsiderate as....es in the world...

      Then I go through the eBay procedure of asking twice for a refund of the
      sales commission and also contacting the second highest bidder and asking if
      they are still interested. The main reason that I do jump through the eBay
      Hoops is more to get the offending bidder kicked off of eBay than to
      retrieve my lost commission.....

      Bim Bousman
      Honolulu Hawaii
      > Today, for the second time in two months I had the high bidder on an
      > item I had listed on ebay (Marklin 3370) not honor his bid. The guy
      > bid on the item 4 times and then when he won it just decided he did not
      > want it? he send me an e-mail saying 'I decided I don't want it'.
    • zscalehobo
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2002
        You know what's funny, though...two of the
        seemingly "deadbeats" that I had back out on
        me, actually bought other items from me at
        a later time...so, it paid off to not leave a
        negative feedback.

        Maybe I was lucky?

        Frank Daniels

        --- In z_scale@y..., "Bim Bousman" <bim@s...> wrote:
        > Hello...
        >
        > I have put up lots of stuff on eBay and once in awhile I have the
        same
        > problem... people who bid, apparently with no intention of ever
        buying...
        > there is not much that you can do....
        >
        > First, I try to get some satrisfaction from the bidder by
        explaining that I
        > have to pay a commission on all completed auctions and that their
        bid has
        > also deprived me of a legitimate sale. Sometimes this works;
        usually it
        > does not... there are some really inconsiderate as....es in the
        world...

        > Then I go through the eBay procedure of asking twice for a refund
        of the
        > sales commission and also contacting the second highest bidder and
        asking if
        > they are still interested. The main reason that I do jump through
        the eBay
        > Hoops is more to get the offending bidder kicked off of eBay than to
        > retrieve my lost commission.....
        >
        > Bim Bousman
        > Honolulu Hawaii
      • Ashley Campbell
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2002
          On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 09:42 PM, zscalehobo wrote:

          > You know what's funny, though...two of the
          > seemingly "deadbeats" that I had back out on
          > me, actually bought other items from me at
          > a later time...so, it paid off to not leave a
          > negative feedback.

          I've dropped the ball on a couple of auctions, in the past. It's easy to
          lose track of a payment, or simply forget to send out a money order.
          Negative feedback is okay, but I think neutral feedback is more
          appropriate for an incomplete auction. Nonetheless, it is a pain, and
          should not be a habit.

          -awc