Project Flexliners

  • claes_m2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30 11:01 AM
      Hi Gang,

      I'd like to share with you the result of a project I have been
      working on for a few months
      I've added a few pics in the 'Photos' Section in the album 'Claes'

      I've been scratchbuilding some Z-scale units of the Flexliner
      (Rubbernose) family from ABB. Pantographs are from Marklin, trucks
      are from MT.

      So far I've build the following:

      Danish State Railways IC3 DMU (picture posted)
      Swedish Rail IC3 DMU 'Kustpilen' (picture posted)
      Israel Railways IC3 DMU
      Amtrak Flexliner DMU (toured the US a few years back)
      Private Danish Railways 'Lollandsbanen' IC2 DMU
      Danish State Railways IR4 EMU
      Swedish Rail/Danish State Railways Contessa EMU 'Oeresundstog'
      (picture posted)

      The Contessa is not really a pure Flexliner, but is a cross between a
      Flexliner 'Rubbernose' and the Swedish high-speed train X2000.

      Enjoy the pics!

      Best regards,
      Claes
    • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31 7:52 PM
        Claes,

        From what I can see of the units themselves, it looks
        very good. Are you planning to do this commercially
        and what material or medium did you use to accomplish
        this? Thanks,

        Will
        --- claes_m2001 <claes_m@...> wrote:
        > Hi Gang,
        >
        > I'd like to share with you the result of a project I
        > have been
        > working on for a few months
        > I've added a few pics in the 'Photos' Section in the
        > album 'Claes'
        >
        > I've been scratchbuilding some Z-scale units of the
        > Flexliner
        > (Rubbernose) family from ABB. Pantographs are from
        > Marklin, trucks
        > are from MT.
        >
        > So far I've build the following:
        >
        > Danish State Railways IC3 DMU (picture posted)
        > Swedish Rail IC3 DMU 'Kustpilen' (picture posted)
        > Israel Railways IC3 DMU
        > Amtrak Flexliner DMU (toured the US a few years
        > back)
        > Private Danish Railways 'Lollandsbanen' IC2 DMU
        > Danish State Railways IR4 EMU
        > Swedish Rail/Danish State Railways Contessa EMU
        > 'Oeresundstog'
        > (picture posted)
        >
        > The Contessa is not really a pure Flexliner, but is
        > a cross between a
        > Flexliner 'Rubbernose' and the Swedish high-speed
        > train X2000.
        >
        > Enjoy the pics!
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Claes

        =====
        WILLIAM BROCK

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • Randy Smidt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31 9:06 PM
          Claes,

          The Flexiliners look great. They looked sort of familiar to me (here in
          the US), so I went looking through my train magazines and found a
          picture in the Jan 2002 issue of Trains that shows the Adtranz IC3 that
          was doing test runs between LA and Los Vegas back in 1996.

          Also of interest to me is the crane on the bridge in the Contessa
          pictures. What is that model?

          Randy Smidt

          claes_m2001 wrote:

          > Hi Gang,
          >
          > I'd like to share with you the result of a project I have been
          > working on for a few months
          > I've added a few pics in the 'Photos' Section in the album 'Claes'
          >
          > I've been scratchbuilding some Z-scale units of the Flexliner
          > (Rubbernose) family from ABB. Pantographs are from Marklin, trucks
          > are from MT.
          >
          > So far I've build the following:
          >
          > Danish State Railways IC3 DMU (picture posted)
          > Swedish Rail IC3 DMU 'Kustpilen' (picture posted)
          > Israel Railways IC3 DMU
          > Amtrak Flexliner DMU (toured the US a few years back)
          > Private Danish Railways 'Lollandsbanen' IC2 DMU
          > Danish State Railways IR4 EMU
          > Swedish Rail/Danish State Railways Contessa EMU 'Oeresundstog'
          > (picture posted)
          >
          > The Contessa is not really a pure Flexliner, but is a cross between a
          > Flexliner 'Rubbernose' and the Swedish high-speed train X2000.
          >
          > Enjoy the pics!
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Claes
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          []

        • claes_m2001
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31 11:36 PM
            Hi Randy,

            The crane is from a small company located here in Switzerland called
            MZZ. They produce all sorts of metal casts for Z-scale and other
            scales.
            I noticed that 'td25scorpio' posted a message on Sat Oct 27 with a
            link to page where some of their models are shown.

            Claes

            --- In z_scale@y..., Randy Smidt <RSmidt@m...> wrote:
            > Claes,
            >
            > The Flexiliners look great. They looked sort of familiar to me
            (here in
            > the US), so I went looking through my train magazines and found a
            > picture in the Jan 2002 issue of Trains that shows the Adtranz IC3
            that
            > was doing test runs between LA and Los Vegas back in 1996.
            >
            > Also of interest to me is the crane on the bridge in the Contessa
            > pictures. What is that model?
            >
            > Randy Smidt
            >
            > claes_m2001 wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Gang,
            > >
            > > I'd like to share with you the result of a project I have been
            > > working on for a few months
            > > I've added a few pics in the 'Photos' Section in the album 'Claes'
            > >
            > > I've been scratchbuilding some Z-scale units of the Flexliner
            > > (Rubbernose) family from ABB. Pantographs are from Marklin, trucks
            > > are from MT.
            > >
            > > So far I've build the following:
            > >
            > > Danish State Railways IC3 DMU (picture posted)
            > > Swedish Rail IC3 DMU 'Kustpilen' (picture posted)
            > > Israel Railways IC3 DMU
            > > Amtrak Flexliner DMU (toured the US a few years back)
            > > Private Danish Railways 'Lollandsbanen' IC2 DMU
            > > Danish State Railways IR4 EMU
            > > Swedish Rail/Danish State Railways Contessa EMU 'Oeresundstog'
            > > (picture posted)
            > >
            > > The Contessa is not really a pure Flexliner, but is a cross
            between a
            > > Flexliner 'Rubbernose' and the Swedish high-speed train X2000.
            > >
            > > Enjoy the pics!
            > >
            > > Best regards,
            > > Claes
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > []

            Service.
          • claes_m2001
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
              Hi,

              No, I'm not planning on doing these commercially. But I'd be happy to
              let you know how I did.

              On the page of the Danish State Railwaiys, I found a page with the
              dimensions of the different types.

              The body itself is made of 0.3mm brass sheets. I was able to bend the
              sheets into the right shape with the aid of a wood block. It
              took quite a few attempts, before I was able to make all the units
              exactly the same profile!
              The 'Rubbernose' is made of special 'playdoe' for modelling, which can
              be heated in an oven to 'harden'.
              The electrical insulators on the roof of the EMU units are very thin
              copper wire, wrapped around another copper wire (I got the inspiration
              from H. Freudenreichs Swiss catenary).
              On the IC3 and IR4 I added handelbars on the 'cab doors' by drilling
              very small holes through which I put a small piece of very thin steel
              wire.
              The fronts and the details along the sides are printed out on special
              almost invisible transparent 'sticker decall paper' on an inkjet
              printer.

              At this point the units are not motorized. I still need to figure out
              how to do that, that will be my next project.

              Claes

              --- In z_scale@y..., WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK <wbbrock_2000@y...>
              wrote:
              > Claes,
              >
              > From what I can see of the units themselves, it looks
              > very good. Are you planning to do this commercially
              > and what material or medium did you use to accomplish
              > this? Thanks,
              >
              > Will
              > --- claes_m2001 <claes_m@h...> wrote:
              > > Hi Gang,
              > >
              > > I'd like to share with you the result of a project I
              > > have been
              > > working on for a few months
              > > I've added a few pics in the 'Photos' Section in the
              > > album 'Claes'
              > >
              > > I've been scratchbuilding some Z-scale units of the
              > > Flexliner
              > > (Rubbernose) family from ABB. Pantographs are from
              > > Marklin, trucks
              > > are from MT.
              > >
              > > So far I've build the following:
              > >
              > > Danish State Railways IC3 DMU (picture posted)
              > > Swedish Rail IC3 DMU 'Kustpilen' (picture posted)
              > > Israel Railways IC3 DMU
              > > Amtrak Flexliner DMU (toured the US a few years
              > > back)
              > > Private Danish Railways 'Lollandsbanen' IC2 DMU
              > > Danish State Railways IR4 EMU
              > > Swedish Rail/Danish State Railways Contessa EMU
              > > 'Oeresundstog'
              > > (picture posted)
              > >
              > > The Contessa is not really a pure Flexliner, but is
              > > a cross between a
              > > Flexliner 'Rubbernose' and the Swedish high-speed
              > > train X2000.
              > >
              > > Enjoy the pics!
              > >
              > > Best regards,
              > > Claes
              > >

              > =====
              > WILLIAM BROCK

              > http://auctions.yahoo.com
            • rsmidt1
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                Simon Vaughn's www.marklin-z.co.uk page doesn't seem to be working.
                All I can get to come up is a page with a message about e-mail virus.
                Can anyone help? I'm looking for information on MZZ.

                Thanks,
                Randy Smidt

              • Bob Byrne
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                  > Simon Vaughn's www.marklin-z.co.uk page doesn't seem to be working.
                  > All I can get to come up is a page with a message about e-mail virus.
                  > Can anyone help? I'm looking for information on MZZ.

                  It's been like that for some time now. I emailed Simon about it and
                  he said he was having problems, I can't remember the exact reason.
                  He also hasn't had any items for auction on eBay either which is very
                  uncharacteristic.

                  --
                  Regards, Bob
                • flocsy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013

                    I'm looking for Claes, is he still around? I also couldn't find the pictures he mentioned.